Tepui Tent RTT

Box Rocket

Are they 8mm bolts? I got 8mmx40mm hoping these are correct.
The bolt head is the important part so it "locks" into the slide bracket correctly. The bolt head should be 1/2" or 13mm. Thread pitch and length can be whatever you like as long as you get matching nuts.

Jbagger

I have a family of four and would like to get an XL ruggedized Autana or Kukenam, but they both are over 200 lbs. Currently, my rack set up consists of two Thule square bars that have dynamic load ratings of 165 lbs. I have researched other racks and bars and they all seem to be around 165 lbs as well. How are you all mounting the heavier tents to your rig when it seems most stardard racks/bars are specified to have a lower dynamic load ratings less than the weight of these tents?

For what it is worth, I have also considered getting an Autana XL Sky Tan or a Baja XL. Both are at or less than 150 lbs, but I don't like the color of the former and want something a bit more durable than the latter.

Thanks!

rickc

Adventurer
jbagger: what truck do you have? I researched this topic to death; I have a 2016 Colorado crew cab/long box and was hunting for the right cap. On the Internet, I saw a gazzillion pics of RTTs on lots of different caps and I the called the cap manufacturers; a common answer was "yes, people do that but we don't supply or rate RTTs"; most glass canopies are good for about 200-250lbs on-the-go loading, not much more. Even if you are planning to add directly to the solid roof of a truck, check the manufacturer's load rating for the roof and the load rating of the roof rack you plan to add. A 200lb RTT will probably require three load bars; this can be a real PITA if you have a curved roof line.

I just got an ARE CX HD cap; good for 550lbs on the go.

Last edited:

stingray1300

Explorer
rickc, you're describing what's known as "static" load and "dynamic" load. Dynamic load is what truck bed caps are rated for. So, whatever the manufacturer says is the "load rating", is dynamic. That means that is what they rate the cap to hold whilst driving down the road (with all the bumping and bouncing around). "Static" load is what the cap will hold just sitting still, not moving. To give you an idea, my SnugTop cap is rated at 200# dynamic load. That covers the 150# of my RTT. But guess what happens when to 2 people climb up in to it? Now we're talking 500# plus. My Thule rack is rated for 750#. After 3 years, there are no issues with my cap or RTT. But of course, I didn't cheap out in installing the rack system (I used ALL the mounting holes, not every-other one; and I use 3 cross bars - I have a Tepui Gran Sabana, one of the largest ones made = a Cal King sized bed).
You'll be fine...

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
Hey, I'm looking for some feedback as I am debating between the Autana xl or Kukenam xl ruggedized versions. I'm 20 pages in on this thread and will keep reading, but do any of you with the kukenam wish you had the extension over the ladder? Do those of you with the Autana find you use the annex often or don't really bother with it? We have a Tepui dealer here in town but I've also looked at the Treeline tents as they are based here in Alberta just an hour away. The Treeline Ponderosa is the equivalent tent and my wife really liked it and I like that it is local to us but it is more expensive. It sells with an extension but no annex for the same as I can buy the Autana XL ruggedized with the annex. My wife said she would rather an additional awning and didn't think the annex was necessary which then got me thinking the Kukenam would be the way to go to save some money (these are not cheap up here!) but I really think the annex would be very useful sometimes and while I suspect it wouldn't be used often I am assuming it would be worth it for the odd occasion. The feedback I've read so far on this thread has me confident in dealing with Tepui, but I can't make up my mind on the tent. It is about $700 difference from kukenam xl to autana xl in the ruggedized form here. Worth it?

I feel like even without the annex installed the extension would be nice for hanging boots out of the weather and such. I wonder if you can pack up the Kukenam with bedding in place a little easier without the additional extension?

We currently have a medium sized pop up tent trailer that we drag around (not off road type) and I was planning to beef it up and lift it but all we ever do is sleep in it. Never cook in it, never hang out or eat in it, so thinking the rtt with good bedding to keep the Mrs warm at night would be the best option.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Box Rocket

Hey, I'm looking for some feedback as I am debating between the Autana xl or Kukenam xl ruggedized versions. I'm 20 pages in on this thread and will keep reading, but do any of you with the kukenam wish you had the extension over the ladder? Do those of you with the Autana find you use the annex often or don't really bother with it? We have a Tepui dealer here in town but I've also looked at the Treeline tents as they are based here in Alberta just an hour away. The Treeline Ponderosa is the equivalent tent and my wife really liked it and I like that it is local to us but it is more expensive. It sells with an extension but no annex for the same as I can buy the Autana XL ruggedized with the annex. My wife said she would rather an additional awning and didn't think the annex was necessary which then got me thinking the Kukenam would be the way to go to save some money (these are not cheap up here!) but I really think the annex would be very useful sometimes and while I suspect it wouldn't be used often I am assuming it would be worth it for the odd occasion. The feedback I've read so far on this thread has me confident in dealing with Tepui, but I can't make up my mind on the tent. It is about $700 difference from kukenam xl to autana xl in the ruggedized form here. Worth it?

I feel like even without the annex installed the extension would be nice for hanging boots out of the weather and such. I wonder if you can pack up the Kukenam with bedding in place a little easier without the additional extension?

We currently have a medium sized pop up tent trailer that we drag around (not off road type) and I was planning to beef it up and lift it but all we ever do is sleep in it. Never cook in it, never hang out or eat in it, so thinking the rtt with good bedding to keep the Mrs warm at night would be the best option.

I can tell you that my wife LOVES having the annex on our Autana! I sold my first Autana and got a Kukenam and she made me sell it after a few trips and go back to the Autana so we had the annex.
The main reasons is with the extended canopy and the annex, she can get up in the morning and climb down into the annex and get dressed (standing up instead of lying on her back in the tent) and can do that it total privacy without ever getting out of the tent.
We have a toilet privy that we typically use (mostly for my wife) but if the weather is bad we can bring the camp toilet into the annex so if she has to go to the bathroom at night she never has to leave the tent in the bad weather to get to the privy.
Those may seem like minor considerations but they were huge for my wife and keeping her as comfortable as possible can mean the difference between a 2 day trip vs a 5 day trip.
The nice thing about the annex is you don't HAVE to use it. If you don't feel like setting it up, don't. But if you need it you have it. With the Kukenam you wouldn't have that option to use an annex as a standard feature. You could also add an optional annex to the Kukenam but they are smaller and don't provide the same level of privacy.

Homercules

Hi Kyle

I just bought the Autana Rugedized in December and have it mounted on a freshly built trailer. I'm not planning on using the annex often but its a nice option to have. If you want to see it in person let me know. I'm in Coventry Hills.

Chris

Kyle Kelso

Adventurer
Hi Kyle

I just bought the Autana Rugedized in December and have it mounted on a freshly built trailer. I'm not planning on using the annex often but its a nice option to have. If you want to see it in person let me know. I'm in Coventry Hills.

Chris
Yes thanks, I'd love to. PM me your number if you don't mind, I'll be home in a week.

Hey everyone, I am looking at one of the Autana Ruggedized SKY RTTs. It will be going on top of my FJ Cruiser for some extended multi-week trips my wife, myself, and our 2 dogs will be undertaking next year. Very interested in the Autana XL for the reasons that Box Rocket stayed above and for others. Is this tent a good fit on the FJ? Also, I haven't yet purchased a new rack to replace my OEM rack from the factory. I'm considering either the Warrior Products flat rack rates for 1,000lbs static or the ARB Touring Rack Rated for 800lbs static. Id prefer the ARB for the basket up front but I'm not sure that the Autana XL Ruggedized will fit there. Has anyone tried this or have any feedback on this?

Box Rocket

Hey everyone, I am looking at one of the Autana Ruggedized SKY RTTs. It will be going on top of my FJ Cruiser for some extended multi-week trips my wife, myself, and our 2 dogs will be undertaking next year. Very interested in the Autana XL for the reasons that Box Rocket stayed above and for others. Is this tent a good fit on the FJ? Also, I haven't yet purchased a new rack to replace my OEM rack from the factory. I'm considering either the Warrior Products flat rack rates for 1,000lbs static or the ARB Touring Rack Rated for 800lbs static. Id prefer the ARB for the basket up front but I'm not sure that the Autana XL Ruggedized will fit there. Has anyone tried this or have any feedback on this?

The footprint of the XL (closed) is 4x6' so as long as you have space on your rack for that behind the basket on the ARB it will work. It's also possible to have some of the tent extend over the end of the rack.

Box Rocket

How does Tepui compare to CVT's heavy duty series weight wise and cold weather camping?
They are very similar but the CVT will be slightly heavier because of additional material like the clear windows (which will get hazy over time) in the rainfly etc. But the difference will be minimal in weight. No real distinguishable difference in cold weather either. Add a Tepui Weatherhood though can add some insulation.

EffayBravo

They are very similar but the CVT will be slightly heavier because of additional material like the clear windows (which will get hazy over time) in the rainfly etc. But the difference will be minimal in weight. No real distinguishable difference in cold weather either. Add a Tepui Weatherhood though can add some insulation.

Any plans of Tepui possibly running Black Friday sales?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94