Tepui Tent RTT

sologeek

Observer
They are very similar but the CVT will be slightly heavier because of additional material like the clear windows (which will get hazy over time) in the rainfly etc. But the difference will be minimal in weight. No real distinguishable difference in cold weather either. Add a Tepui Weatherhood though can add some insulation.

Thanks for the reply. It might come down to available colors lol. Last I saw CVT's version was kind of a limy green color. I would like something more quiet.

stingray1300

Explorer
It should all come down to one more, very important thing: customer service. Tepui is hands down heads and shoulders above CVT. I chased both companies, and CVT totally botched everything. Tepui bent over backwards. They got my money.

Last edited:

sologeek

Observer
It should all come down to one more, very important thing: customer service. Tepui is hands down heads and shoulders about CVT. I chased both companies, and CVT totally botched everything. Tepui bent over backwards. They got my money.

May I ask what happened? was it related to a defect? or something non quality related issue?

stingray1300

Explorer
Totally customer service related. They didn't know how to answer the phones, or return messages. Didn't know how to answer questions. "owner" (name withheld) failed a lot of folks who were counting on him. When I posted what happened, and his name came up (he used to peruse this forum), he literally asked "what happened?"
I won't go any further than that.
Ya spends yur money, and ya takes yur chances...

slimscherer

Any plans of Tepui possibly running Black Friday sales?

REI is having a sale Nov 10-20, and with a member 20% off coupon, plus free shipping to their stores, you can save a lot. They may run out quickly when they have the coupon. I bought my Autana through them, but another guy I talked to waited 2 days into the sale and they were out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sned

REI is having a sale Nov 10-20, and with a member 20% off coupon, plus free shipping to their stores, you can save a lot. They may run out quickly when they have the coupon. I bought my Autana through them, but another guy I talked to waited 2 days into the sale and they were out.

If you go the REI route get up early. I ordered mine at 5am and when I went back to check at 10am it was sold out.

EffayBravo

I'll keep an eye out, thanks. Looks like the Official Tepui BF sale is only 15% off. Almost a better deal to just order through 3rd party and get the free shipping.

grogie

Like to Camp
First of all, I have a blue Ayer (from about two years ago). I saw on the Tepui website the new Aluminized canopy and rain fly. So what's different about this material over my current Ayer? Plus, would this new canopy completely replace my older blue tent?

Secondly, with the original mattress, I like a little more comfort. So I had found an oversize sleeping bag that I placed on top of the mattress to just add extra padding (in addition to single sleeping bags for my wife and I). However, this extra sleeping bag has to be folded up and removed from the tent in order to close (fold) the tent. I'm therefore wondering if the luxury mattress is really better enough that I can completely remove the extra sleeping bag? I'm a side sleeper, and as I recall, with only the regular mattress, I was feeling the floor of the Ayer with my hips.

This is with the extra sleeping bag... it's most comfortable!

578y.jpg

Last edited:

Box Rocket

Sleeping is way too subjective to give a definitive answer as to whether or not the Luxury mattress will accomplish what you need. From my own experience (also a side sleeper) I found the luxury mattress to be a bit more firm than the standard mattress and I wasn't "bottoming out" on the floor with my hip. I'm about 5'8" and 170lbs. The top latex foam layer on the luxury mattress isn't super thick but it's soft so I thought the mattress was very comfortable. But like I said, everyone's sleep comfort barometer is different.
As for the other canopies. The Aluminized canopy is the same material as the weather hood. Probably not the ideal for breathability, but it's totally weather proof if you camp in the rain/snow a lot. The new Tepui canopies all include their new patented "zipper gimp" which is a zipper around the bottom of the tent canopy that allows you to change canopies in just a couple minutes. But your tent is old enough that it doesn't have the lower zipper portion so if you wanted to use one of these new canopies you would need to be sure to also get the lower zipper of the zipper gimp. Then you can change out canopies for any of the other ones (ayer model specifically). yes it would completely replace your current blue canopy.

grogie

Like to Camp
^Thanks Adam for the reply. I completely understand about sleeping being subjective. I am going to go ahead and order the luxery mattress, and hopefully it will be enough of an improvement to remove the extra sleeping bag from my Ayer.

I suspected as much about the new canopy needing a new bottom, and that's really a neat idea being able to switch materials. Although I'm very happy about how my currnet blue Ayer, someday I just may have to buy a new one. :)

mcaltitude

What does it take on average for you to close your Tepui tent? I've got an Autana 3, and while it's quick to pop up, I can't seem to get the entire thing closed by myself in <7-9 minutes. Would love to see what others have thought of to reduce tent closure time. I end up with a lot of extra material hanging out that I need to shove into place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne