New To Motorcycles.

AZchris

Adventurer
I've been looking at dual sport motorcycles and have a question. I work on a youth camp so I want to drive around the dirt roads, but want to be able to drive around town also. I'm 6'1 235, do you think a KLR 650 would be too small of a bike for me? Would love any feedback, thanks.

Rexsname

Explorer
No, the KLR650 will be fine. Go down to Star Island motorsports, they have two brand new red ones for $4750 each. I sure wish I could afford a new bike.

REX

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
The KLR will get you around fine -- as long as you aren't expecting to hang out in the fast lane on the freeway.

Andy G

Adventurer
It won't be too small for you. I'm 6'4, 220# and it fit me just fine.

Actually, depending on how your height is distributed, you may find it's too tall for you. That's easily fixed with some lowering links (if that's the case).

Great bike. I rode mine - in the fast lane - from Michigan to Washington. No problems. Wish I still had it.

RHINO

Expedition Leader
a little more specific on what you expect from the bike,,, you can do what you just described on literally any dual sport.

AZchris

Adventurer
a little more specific on what you expect from the bike,,, you can do what you just described on literally any dual sport.

Thats what I thought, I was thinking the KLR because it seems like a bike that I can get rather inexpensively. I'd love a GS1200, but want to get a smaller bike to get used to and save up for a BMW way down the road.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I actually think a KLR might be overkill for what you're looking to do. If it's just around the camp and around town, you don't need a 650. You would probably do just fine on a 400, a 350 or even a 250 like the new Yamaha XT250.

Although, personally, I would never recommend that anybody buy a new bike for their first motorcycle. But something like a late 90's Suzuki DR-350 would probably fit you just fine (it's a tall bike) and has plenty of power.

AFSOC

Explorer
If you are new to the motorcycle world, it is hard to go wrong with a KLR-650. They are great bikes. Their cost of entry and cost of ownership is as low as you will find. They're very, very reliable. Many have been used for trans Hemispheric travel and even round the world trips. They are unremarkable in most ways but are capable of doing nearly everything. They are sometimes the gateway drug of the Dual Sport world. It is hard to find a lifelong DS traveler who doesn't have a KLR somewhere in his past or present.
:roost:

Capt Sport

Adventurer
Hey,

You might want to look for a nice used Suzuki DRZ400s, I got mine a few months ago and its a great bike. They've been made since about 2000 without major changes and can be picked up pretty cheap. It's got plenty of power. And, is comfy other than the seat which is a cheap fix. And I'm not small either, 6'1" 260.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
I'd echo what was said above about new bikes.

I've been riding all my life, commuting year-round, and currently own my third KLR. It's a great all-rounder and yes, it's perhaps large for what you want but I would not discourage you from riding one as your first bike.

I would discourage any new rider from buying a new bike. If you find a good deal you'll be out $5,000 before you even buy a helmet and riding gear. And, after all that, you may well find that the bike doesn't suit you or you don't like riding.

A used bike can be sold for what you paid for it (or more), will generally have a few extras already included, and will have been depreciated by the original owner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles