Suzuki Samurai Custom Camper Build

Gypsy

Suzuki Samuri Camper made one back in 2007

Yep, been there done that too.

Made an 88 Suzuki Samurai into a Suzuki Samurai Camper trailer.

Sleeps two adults to seven feet tall.
8" head room storage area
propane tank replaced gas tank for heater, cooking, lights etc.
portable toilet and sink
with storage under the bed in the front and back wells

Searched online at the time and everywhere I could I was the first ever to have a Suzuki Samurai Camper. Even with solar panel....

Since I see no where to attach pictures on here and new at this form, if you want to see pics visit the best club in the world!

Samurai4x4Club.org

trackhead

Adventurer
Got bored over the winter and rebuilt the "camper" crazy light. I haven't weighed it yet, but I think the total vehicle weight is under 2,000lbs on tires, or right around 2,000lbs with tracks. The camper enclosure isn't done yet, but I had to get it enclosed for some upcoming ski trips. This summer I'll finish the pop top. Idea behind this enclosure is removable camper items like cupboards/shelves/beds, and all that heavy crap. Leave it as an empty box for ski trips for the best over snow flotation. I also made it wider and removed the stock doors so I can get my kid in and out of the back easier. I haven't made hard sided doors yet, but that will come. The heater keeps this thing super warm in mountain temps, totally pleased with that.

Still needs:
-Finish outside surfaces
-Build light weight, insulated doors that don't rattle like stock Sami doors
-Rear locker, probably mini-spool because this is a snow vehicle first, dirt vehicle second
-Finish interior covering of foam panels
-Finish pop top

More pics and vids here
http://www.fritzrips.com/2012/02/24/samurai-ski-day/
DSCF1121.jpg

thecarman

-Rear locker, probably mini-spool because this is a snow vehicle first, dirt vehicle second

I put a mini-spool in my Samurai about 3 years ago, and have never had a problem with it. Mine is not street-driven much, but I do drive it on the street, and don't notice the spool back there at all. I like that compared to the lock/un-lock of a rear locker in a short-wheelbase, lightweight vehicle.

I originally planned to weld the rear, but couldn't figure out a way to do it (that I felt comfortable with) once I pulled the diff apart, since the spiders are enclosed in the carrier. I know people have done it in Zuk diffs, but none of the ways appealed to me. I think the mini-spool I got was like $120 shipped? Can't remember what brand. Was from one of the major Zuk modification manufacturers.

Last edited:

deepmud

Adventurer
Since I see no where to attach pictures on here and new at this form, if you want to see pics visit the best club in the world!

Samurai4x4Club.org

You host them somewhere else like photobucket . Can't view your club's pics, it's members only.

deepmud

Adventurer
Trackhead - I re-read the whole thread today. Why did you toss the camper you put so much time in? Just too heavy for tracks?

Alpentalic

Deepmud, reading between the lines here and another forum that Trackhead participates in...
I believe his use requirements shifted towards something that would accommodate more snow and the ability to do more of a "base camp" situation with the family.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior