Suzuki Samurai Custom Camper Build

dsw4x4

Adventurer
If you want to sleep two and a half we make and sell Wee Bunks for our Top Bunk roof top tents. They are pretty cheap or you could build one. It would be an easy add to your build and allow you and your wife to sleep with the kid for the next 8 to 10 years. And if the kiddo is not with you it makes a great gear rack to store your clothes in while you are sleeping.
IMG_4479.jpg

Little tight for an adult but you get the Idea
IMG_4475.jpg

to see more pictures of the Top and Wee Bunks go to
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p148/dsw4x4/top bunk/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ16
Good luck with your build that is a very cool idea.

Derek

D

Deleted member 9101

I really like man, and the fact that you made it yourself makes it that much better. That thing is so light you don't need huge tires, heavy recover gear, or a bank loan to drive it all day!

Not that it will be, but it ends up top heavy.. the cheap fix is wheel spacers...lol

Lajning

Observer
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Very sweat build mate.

Glad to see it in a dedicated thread too, so I can comment without going Off Topic ;)

zukrider

Explorer
i like the idea. but i also will attest to the weight being an issue. ive had 6, and they dont like weight. at the least, add a leaf to the lift. but i will reccomend you look into a yj rear spring swap and use the rubicon express 1.5" 6 leaf pack. then move the rear up front, add the 3rd leaf from the front pack to the rear pack and call it good.

also, come check out the best zuk site you will ever find

www.zukikrawlers.com

great guys and a huge source for tech.

cheers

deepmud

Adventurer
www.acmeadapters.com

for a VW turbo-diesel conversion kit so you can do highway speeds with the weight.

Or perhaps a 1.6 tracker engine would do ya'.

My 1.9td Samurai would get 27 mpg at 65mph pushing a lifted Zuk w/35" tires - can't be much better (if any) than your camper for wind resistance.

Mind you, the diesel is very torqey, and tough on the trans, where a 1.6 16valve Sidekick swap will make power with rpms, so you can put less torque to the gearbox to make the same power (with gearing).

I like your camper - I'm thinking of something like it so I can make my zuk into a snowcat, I wann' run the Alaska Highway in winter someday (it's been done by a guy in a Jeep on a set of AmericanTruck Tracks- everything has been done :D )

29lbr87.jpg

trackhead

Adventurer
I like your camper - I'm thinking of something like it so I can make my zuk into a snowcat, I wann' run the Alaska Highway in winter someday (it's been done by a guy in a Jeep on a set of AmericanTruck Tracks- everything has been done :D )

Yeah, this frankenstein creation is getting Tatou/Mattracks, or some home made version and will spend it's time at our cabin next winter.

trackhead

Adventurer
After I finish the glass work, I'll put the stock fender flares on with some minor cutting.
DSCF3179.jpg

Might have an appropriately geared transfer case coming for the bigger tires. We'll see.

Last edited:

trackhead

Adventurer
Got all the rust cut out, now I'm closing the wheel well holes with glass/bondo, then the flares go back on.

Quick test lap in the yard. Open differentials at the moment, not sure it needs lockers for what I want to do.
IMAG0097.jpg

deepmud

Adventurer
with 31's and a rear locker, you can go anywhere that looks like a trail :D Get an EZ locker, and some 4:1 gears (lowers high range to stock with the 31's).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94