Winter Riding...Gloves anyone?

bcrez

Adventurer
I am looking for the warmest gloves around. More importantly they have to have well sealed seems and be windproof. I have looked everywhere and cant find anything that seems to fill the void. I am a skier/ alpinist, but when it comes to a glove that can take the beating of 80 mph winds hitting the finger tips dead on, for hours on end, I am at a loss. Anyone know of such a glove?

I have looked extensively and I am suspecting it is going to take a specific individual with some insider knowledge to help me out.

The closest I have come to what I am looking for is a neoprene arctic diving glove, maybe with a layer of leather on top and treated with wax...

HELP PLEASE!!!

chopperito

**** for brains
Gerbings?

i've looked for the same for years and gave up once i tried a good set of "hippo" hands.

gloves are either really warm or really waterproof(and clammy)

let me know if you find something good.

although i havent tried the gerbings yet.

ravenranger

I've had good luck with elk skin gloves and heated grips. When it gets really cold, brush guards and hippo hands seem the best.

About 5 years ago BMW made some fabulous gloves that were windproof, waterproof, insulated on the BACK SIDE, and had supple leather palms. A friend had a pair and they were wonderful. With the insulation on the back but not on the palm, they weren't too bulky for control operation but were great at keeping hands warm. I should have bought a pair but balked at the $80+ price tag and have always regretted not buying them.

Unless Gerbings has changed their pattern in the last year or so, they are warm (b/c of the electrics) but they have too much insulation on the palm side of the hand and are bulky for operating the controls.

ThomD

Explorer
I ride year round in the SF Bay area. That means winter temps in the 30s for the coldest part of the year.

Hippo hands and heated grips were my solution for 4 years. They are good and were fine with my summer gloves (Steve Helds or Racer High Ends) for temps down to 40ish. In the 30s, my hands would be cold at the end of my 40 minute commute (speeds routinely 70+). Heated grips are even helpful up to about 65F.

The hippo hands are very nice, especially in the rain, but sometimes I'd pull my hand out to wipe the visor or something and have a hard time putting my hand back in. It is a minor thing, but it can be a safety thing if you need to grab that clutch suddenly.

Last month I moved to Warm n Safe heated gloves. 35F, 85 MPH = warm and happy hands. These are much better than heated grips and hippo hands for me. Highly recommended. WnS makes two models - with and without insulated palms. Actually, they make a third option - the passenger glove which I think has heated palms. The rider gloves are heated on the back side. I have the fully insulated ones and they are not too bulky. They are not as comfy as my summer gloves, but not as bad as some winter gloves.

You'll need a controller to use them, but I already have a WnS jacket, so my gloves plug into that.

scarysharkface

Explorer
Heated grips (I use the grip wraps from Aerostich) and comfortable (i.e. not tight) elkskin gloves do the trick for me. I know they're not waterproof, but the heated grips seem to make up for that. I think the key is wearing gloves loose enough that they don't restrict your circulation..

John

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I use a set of BMW winter gauntlets. The work great, especially on the highway. In combination with heated grips I've never had any issues, even riding at 4 degrees F.

-H-

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I use a set of BMW winter gauntlets. The work great, especially on the highway. In combination with heated grips I've never had any issues, even riding at 4 degrees F.

-H-

Trust me, if you are riding at 4 degrees F, you have issues! :Wow1:

My sissy gene kicks in about 40 deg., the heater in the truck works great below that.:sombrero:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Just yesterday I met with our Outdoor Research rep looking over her glove samples. There were some amazing gloves in there. Some of their new technical alpine gloves would probably fit the bill, even with 80mph winds hammering your paws.

okie2

Since the mid eighties I've always carried the Widder e-vest Style1 and their e-gloves. The vest is always in my tank bag year around and the gloves ride with me in the colder weather. Plug 'em in and set the thermostat...you are warm and toasty!

Gloves are not 100% waterproof and they are mid fore arm long. I would cut the sleeves off a cheap waterproof jacket and then cover the gloves and hand grips when it rained. I actually used the sleeves more in the warmer weather with my regular gloves.

The Widder Enterprises (1971-2009) sold their business to the Iron Butt Association last year. The IBA are the folks that run the Iron Butt Rally every other year. You must ride your bike 11,000 miles in 11 days. Lots to read about their rally and its history.
www.ironbutt.com. At the top of the home page click on the IBA eStore tab. Index is on left of next page...last entry in black ink is Widder.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I tried riding in the Marmot Work gloves which I usually wear for belaying when ice climbing. I found they're toasty warm but do absorb some moisture. In a good week they get used for both purposes. (I don't ride through the New England winter rider though -- my season is almost over by now.)

Heated grips certainly help but I'm told that MSR Elephant Ears make an even bigger difference.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Just yesterday I met with our Outdoor Research rep looking over her glove samples. There were some amazing gloves in there. Some of their new technical alpine gloves would probably fit the bill, even with 80mph winds hammering your paws.

I'm still liking the OR Contact gloves I've been wearing the last few ice seasons -- a great combination of dexterity, warmth, dryness and knuckle padding -- but better gloves are always appreciated!

My name is Graham and I have a glove fetish.

bcrez

Adventurer
Awesome suggestions. Thanks for the feedback. I am hesitant to go with mittens, purely for dexterity reasons. I know I like two fingers on brakes/ clutch which is more difficult with mittens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles