Winter Riding...Gloves anyone?

MontanaBBQ

Observer
I have heated grips on my Tiger - they're OK for mild temps, but I never bothered to add them on any other bike.

For temps below freezing, I say an electric vest (to maintain your core temp) AND electric gloves are the only way to go. I have some gear from Widder that has held up well for many miles. Gerbings or Warn N Safe are where I would be looking today.

I also recommend the Aerostich Triple Digit Rain Covers. Their primary function is rain protection, but I find they help with wind/cold too. They are thin, light, Goretex, 3 finger mitts that really seal the deal for me. I wear them over Elkskin ropers in extended rain or cooler temps. I have worn them over the electrics in really cold temps to further block the wind and seal the cuffs on my jacket. They aren't cheap, but they've served me well for years - I always try to have a pair in my coat pockets. I tried OR mitts first, but they didn't provide enough dexterity.

In a pinch, I've also worn disposable vinyl/latex/nitrile gloves under my elkskin gloves. They act as a sort of vapor barrier and provide a bit of extra warmth. Obviously water proof, disposable, non-breathable. I usually have some with me for mechanical work. Sounds hokey, but try it. YMMV.

Ride Safe,

Doug B.

bcrez

Adventurer
Thanks Doug.

Yeah the Nitrile 'undermit' so to say is a good option. I know this works, but it does make your hands sweat quite a bit. I think the electric gloves may be the way to go. Coupled with a gortex overmit I dont think even the coldest days should stand a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior