1977 Chinook Questions

Franklin405

I have been lurking here for years and have only commented a few times, but I am about ready to get in on the expedition fun myself instead of just reading about them. So, I have been researching a ton looking for the right vehicle for me. I am very interested in the Toyota Chinooks, and there just happens to be one at a used car lot in my little town in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. It's a 1977 2wd in amazing shape cosmeticly. I am going to go look at it in the morning and will check it mechanically. Supposedly it runs and drives great and has around 85,000 miles on it. Not sure on that part though. I have read all the threads on here that I can find about anything to do with the Chinook. Okay sorry for being long winded.

Question time:

1) Does anyone know if the frames under these things are just regular Toyota frames or are they special, (reinforced, lengthened, completely different?).

2) Anyone know if I could EASILY transport the camper to a 1985 or so Toyota 4wd frame and cab. I know I would have to deal with the pass through, but any other things I would need to know about?

3) They are asking $2800 for the Chinook, but the guy said he really needs to sell it and is very negotiable. Nothing has moved on his lot in a month or more, I drive by everyday. How much is a reasonable price?

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much information to begin with as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

Toyotero

Explorer
Toyota Chinooks are nice small vehicles. I had one for a couple of years and got out to CA and UT with it. I had planned to covert it to 4WD (like this guy), but instead I sold it to fund a trip.

1) Does anyone know if the frames under these things are just regular Toyota frames or are they special, (reinforced, lengthened, completely different?).

They are standard 2WD frames... from the pre-4WD time (<1979). Very sturdy frames... but that that age, take a hammer and check it for rust!

2) Anyone know if I could EASILY transport the camper to a 1985 or so Toyota 4wd frame and cab. I know I would have to deal with the pass through, but any other things I would need to know about?

Easy is a relative word... It'd be easier to put it on a 85 Hilux than on a Tundra, but even that has been done. You would have to reshape the pass through, probably make a few body mounts and do a lot of heavy lifting, but nothing is impossible.

If you just want to make it to be 4WD, I'd recommend doing a solid axle swap onto the Chinook (and trans/transfer case)... or you go 'prerunner" with it and keep it 2WD with simply an Aussie locker or Yota electric locker in the rear with some all terrain tires on it. It'd probably take you anywhere you'd be comfortable trying to take it's wide fiberglass body.

3) They are asking $2800 for the Chinook, but the guy said he really needs to sell it and is very negotiable. Nothing has moved on his lot in a month or more, I drive by everyday. How much is a reasonable price?

From what I've seen, that is a decent price for a decent condition Toyota Chinook RV... but, IMHO, it's a lot to pay if you just want the fiberglass body. I'd expect that to be more in the $600-1000 range. I've seen Chinooks with trashed engines and interiors go for like $300 before.

MVC-027S.jpg

Regards,

Last edited:

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I have been lurking here for years and have only commented a few times, but I am about ready to get in on the expedition fun myself instead of just reading about them. So, I have been researching a ton looking for the right vehicle for me. I am very interested in the Toyota Chinooks, and there just happens to be one at a used car lot in my little town in the middle of nowhere Oklahoma. It's a 1977 2wd in amazing shape cosmeticly. I am going to go look at it in the morning and will check it mechanically. Supposedly it runs and drives great and has around 85,000 miles on it. Not sure on that part though. I have read all the threads on here that I can find about anything to do with the Chinook. Okay sorry for being long winded.

Question time:

The frames are different in that they were specially built for RV purposes. On Chinooks, the rear area the is a step down in the camper, is supported by a completely separate, bolt on frame section. This frame section supports the bumper area as well. See the pic below from Oleg's build:
5080_1151121090585_1004351363_30444722_6053496_n.jpg

You may want to check this group out on Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/toyotachinook/

This depends. If you have a short wheelbase 1985, you will need to lengthen the frame, or live with the wheelwells not lining up over the axle. A long wheelbase(+/- 110") is needed. I'm in the same boat as you on this right now as I found a 79 shortbed to transplant the camper section to, but it is a short bed. Cost vs. work is no my dilemma.

Also, something I jsut learned is that the floors are no solid. They are 1/4" wood, with blocks in between, and then another 1/4" sheet to tope it off. The existing bolt holes are situated so that when tightened down, the blocks keep the floor from being crushed. If you move the mounting holes, you will need to address this issue.

Sorry for the long post but I wanted to give as much information to begin with as possible. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

If the vehicle is in perfect working order, and wear is reasonable for the age, along with all of the fiberglass and appliances working, I'd offer him $2500. If anything else is wrong, the price would start dropping from there.

I personally would not pay that much for it, especially if yo uare swapping the camper. I paid $250 for mine, and a local one is going for $500 in runnining, but interior gutted condition.

Definitely check out the Toyota Motorhomes website, and the Yahoo group.

Feel free to PM on any questions you have, long winded or not. I've most likely asked the same questions of other folsk and am more than happy to pass the info along.

Gavin

argonaut

Observer
Does anyone know what to look out for regarding the axles? I know about the issues other Toyota campers have but not sure if this pertains to the Chinooks.
I've been looking for a Chinook but haven't found a definitive answer on this.

Also if you end up passing on the Chinook would you mind sharing the location? Might be something I would be interested in. Thanks!

Nook

Does anyone know what to look out for regarding the axles? I know about the issues other Toyota campers have but not sure if this pertains to the Chinooks.
I've been looking for a Chinook but haven't found a definitive answer on this.

The Toyota Chinook was never involved in the axle recall, they never came factory with any kind of dual rear wheel setup, they were built well under the weight restrictions Toyota set for the rear axle.
The Chinook came factory with a "heavy duty" rear axle which was just the standard 8" compared to the 7.5" used in the pickups of that era.

Franklin405

Thanks for the help guys! I could find a lot of talk about the frame but not any pictures of the difference, so that helped a lot.

Here is where I'm at now: I talked the guy down to at least $1800 on the Chinook. I haven't boughten it yet. I did work out a possible trade on an old Kawasaki Vulcan 500 I was planning on getting rid of, he is willing to just swap me titles. So that would be a good deal not being out any cash to start.

I went back and went through the Chinook. It runs good but the idle is off. I figure it needs the carb gone through and would be good to go for a while. Structurally it seems great and the interior is in decent shape but I would probably gut it as it is set up horribly for my needs. The main reason I thought about swapping to 4x4 is the ground clearance is horrible. I could hardly get my head under it to check its frame, and where I hunt and camp has creek crossings and logging roads. I'm sure that the 2wheel drive could get me where I need to go, but I have seen many people have to leave there cars at camp for a week or more until the roads dryed out after deer season.
I have seen this one conversion, which is exactly what I was thinking, but haven't been able to find any information about the swap.
http://www.toyotamotorhomes.com/91_4x4_chinook.htm
I spent the weekend pouring over that website for information. There is a lot of talk about mounting on a newer truck but I can't find a write up of it actually being done.

I will decide if I am getting it or not by Wednesday. If I am not I will post up the location and the dealers number, for anyone who may be interested. Thanks again for the links and help.

Franklin405

Joaquin, that diagram is great. I was going to go take measurements of it today to see what I thought would fit it. Thanks!

Franklin405

Okay I decided I am passing on this. Thanks for all the help and information. I may start looking for just a shell. The Chinook is in a town about 45 minutes west of Oklahoma City. If you would like the dealers number feel free to PM me and I will try and get back with you as soon as possible.

76 Chinook Custom Trailer For Sale

I have a 76 Chinook Pop-Top Trailer I built a few years ago. It does not have any appliances, but does have the bench seat. The pop top is in perfect condition. There is a tool box on the front of the trailer. Perfectly balanced. Use as a trailer or put on a 4x4 like I wanted to. Email me at GearHeadMechanics@gmail.com for more info. Located in Paradise CA Thanks

Fergie

Expedition Leader
I have a 76 Chinook Pop-Top Trailer I built a few years ago. It does not have any appliances, but does have the bench seat. The pop top is in perfect condition. There is a tool box on the front of the trailer. Perfectly balanced. Use as a trailer or put on a 4x4 like I wanted to. Email me at GearHeadMechanics@gmail.com for more info. Located in Paradise CA Thanks
Any pics of this trailer that you can post here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior