New "Expedition Motorcycle"

SilverBullet

Explorer
Okay, this is not mine, but I wish it was.

I was asked to post the picture, back story to follow soon.

Merry Christmas!

CIMG0626.jpg

Rexsname

Explorer
Hey! Thats me!!

Today I bought a 1982 GL1100 Honda Goldwing. I paid a very VERY low price and feel like I got an outstanding deal.

The following work was done Spring of 2010
Carbs cleaned and rebuilt
Heads have been reworked
New clutches and springs
New water pump including all lines and hoses
New neck bearings
Wheel bearings replaced
Calipers and Master cylinders rebuilt
New Brake pads
New cables
New fork seals
All fuel lines replaced
New fuel pump
New oil pumps
New belts
New crankshaft and cam seals
New grips
New Paint job
Starter relay
New Battery

If it doesn't rain/snow tomorrow I'm goin' ridin!!

This purchase is the result of an amazing gift, God is good. ALL the time!

REX

Rexsname

Explorer
The ugly windscreen will be first to go..............

I think I'l take the screen off of the CM400T and trade it onto the Goldwing. I went onto reserve about a mile before my exit where I bought gas. 4.1 gallons filled it, so I'm guessing a little less than a gallon for reserve. I'll buy a Clymer manual in the morning and begin the learning process. I'm excited!

:bike_rider:

:bike_rider:

REX

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
Let's see...progressives in front, an Ohlins in the rear...can you get a 21" tire in front, oh, and knobbies? :wings:

Have fun with your wonderful Xmas gift! :victory:

Rexsname

Explorer
Well today was in the low 40s to upper 30s and trying real hard to rain so I didn't ride as much as I wanted to. I did get the ugly windscreen off and it looks SOOOooooo much better! If the weather clears a bit I'll give it a ride without a windscreen on to see what that's like.

My Pelican 1510 Carry-on case fits perfectly on the rear rack along with my 2 gallon RotopaX. Although... with a 5 gallon gas tank I dont think I'll need it very often. :bike_rider:

Can anyone give an educated guess on fuel mileage while being ridden conseratively?

REX

frgtwn

Adventurer
40 mpg

Fourty (MPG) is good, generic number. It is interesting that bikes of many displacements seem to hover around this number. I suspect that it takes so much power to displace so much air, and man and bike seems of fairly consistent size.

Many will have exceptions, of course, including mine, but over the years, this observation has remained consistent.

And, remember, that is why they made up: "YMMV"

Dale

njtaco

Explorer
My GL1100I got in the low 30s, but that was fully faired, ridden fast, and loaded down. Ridden conservatively I agree 40 is a good number for you to shoot for.

Definitely check/calibrate your odometer over 20 or 30 interstate miles before counting on it for fuel planning.

ravenranger

Carry your extra fuel and run it 'til empty doing several different types of riding to give you a good idea (mostly interstate, mostly back roads, in town, etc.).

scarysharkface

Explorer
Carry your extra fuel and run it 'til empty doing several different types of riding to give you a good idea (mostly interstate, mostly back roads, in town, etc.).

Great idea. It's nice to know when to expect things to get quiet under a few different circumstances.

My KLR gets 50-60 with no luggage and ridden easily. Fully loaded, it gets about the same if I'm doing 45-50 on back roads. Loaded and pointed into the wind on the interstate I've gotten low 30's. A little wind and throttle seem to make the most difference on my bikes..

John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94