Deaver vs. Alcan for Tacoma Springs

HongerVenture

Adventurer
Westy said:
I think you will find thats a smoking deal on the Alcans, at least last time I checked a couple years ago, and Deavers are even more $$

As for 3.5 lift...that is based on a stock vehicle, no added weight of bumpers, racks, larger spare, camping gear, extra equipment, etc.

Alcans are generally a soft spring and it will settle alittle, especially since your rig has more weight than the avg tacoma. Id be willing to bet you could pull a spring off that pack, and with bj spacers in the front and tbars cranked just alittle you could net a nice ~ 2.5 lift.

Stop it!:exclaim: You are making me consider it! :p
The only problem I see in your suggestion is the tbar crank... this really limits your downtravel. I'm not terribly concenred with downtravel in an expedition platform vehicle but I prefer to keep my suspension versatile. Granted, I will be cranking the tbars a little to level the truck out once I install the HD tbars. The TJM and winch kind of weighed down my front end.

Westy

Adventurer
I know how that goes...sometimes its hard to pass up a deal - you know you need the Alcans! A couple months ago I found a new ARB and used ARB compressor a guy was selling for $550 and had to pick it up...then just last week I found another ARB for sale private party, couldnt pass it up either. :ylsmoke:
I gotta ditch the spool in the rear...

as for the Alcans...yeah I'm not a fan of cranking the t-bars, stiffens the ride and limits travel but for an economy lift it works ok, gives good clearance and when combined with the ball joint spacers it works alot better.

HongerVenture said:
Stop it!:exclaim: You are making me consider it! :p
The only problem I see in your suggestion is the tbar crank... this really limits your downtravel. I'm not terribly concenred with downtravel in an expedition platform vehicle but I prefer to keep my suspension versatile. Granted, I will be cranking the tbars a little to level the truck out once I install the HD tbars. The TJM and winch kind of weighed down my front end.

Scott Brady

Founder
HongerVenture said:
The only problem I see in your suggestion is the tbar crank... this really limits your downtravel. I'm not terribly concenred with downtravel in an expedition platform vehicle but I prefer to keep my suspension versatile.

Joel,

Wise choice. I would recommend retaining a minimum of 70mm of down travel. This is very important for these heavily loaded expedition rigs, as hard unloading of the suspension can damage shocks, ball joints and steering components. Downtravel is also required to retain suspension balance and articulation in crossed axle terrain. It is also hard on the CV's to operate at extreme angles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior