Couple of Months Traveling Through Baja

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Tuesday

Noel and Jackie had talked about heading out to Pichilingue which is a point out on the Sea of Cortez, where you can drycamp on the beach. We wanted to camp out there and take a boat trip from the beach around the Isla Espiritu Santo which is just across from Pichilingue.

Baja%20Ferries.JPG

We decided to drive out there in our truck and leave the campers at Casablanca. We'd rather not haul them all the way out there if once we got there, we decided we didn't like the camping spot.

The drive through La Paz was very nice. The downtown area is very cool with a huge waterfront malecón (Waterfront Seawall/Deck) with plenty of shops and restaurants. Once out of town, you follow along the coast, past the ferry to the main land Mexico before arriving in Pichilingue.

This open beach is very nice, and would be perfectly safe to camp on in my book. We parked by the restaurants and talked with the guide about the daily boat trips. He told us it was $55 per person, which included a lunch on one of the islands beaches, and also included snorkeling with the islands sea lion population.

That was all he needed to say for Cindy and I to pay up. Noel and Jackie talked it over and both decided that it's one of those once in a lifetime trips, so why not go for broke. I really like the way they think. Very much like Cindy and I do, that if you're on a trip like this, don't worry about the money side of it, just experience everything you can while you have the opportunity.

It was still early in the morning, so we just decided that rather than go get the campers, we'd just leave them at Casablanca and head out on the next boat trip.

Quick Run Down about the day trip - Isla Espiritu Santo, is a 23,383-acre island in the Sea of Cortez — one of the most biologically diverse marine areas in the world. This island is just a short boat ride across the water from Playa Tecolote.

The Island has the most intact ecosystem in the region. Several animals on Isla Espiritu Santo are found nowhere else in the world, including the blacktailed jack rabbit, ground squirrel and two species of snake.

423096632_bHWBW-L-1.jpg

The island is home to 53 regional endemic plant species. The waters surrounding the island support coral reefs, resident colonies of sea lions, and 500 species of fish.

For only $50 we spent the afternoon circling the Island on a nice boat with English speaking guides who told us about the native species, showed us many secluded coves and allowed us to snorkel with Sea Lions!

If ever in the La Paz area of Baja California, make sure to visit Isla Espiritu Santo!

There were 8 people total on the boat, which was very nice and it even had a Bimini top to keep us shaded from the fierce sun. We headed out towards one of the islands protected beaches.

When we were pulling up, I was asking Cindy "Why are we stopping on this beach?" I couldn't see any sea lions and it just looked like a quiet empty beach.

As we got closer, I noticed there were two young couples on the island with a bunch of camping gear. The boat captain said we were picking up some couples who had camped on the beach last night and who were going with us for the days excursion.

How cool would that be to sleep out on a deserted island with nothing but the stars and the surf to entertain you!

Once they were on board, we were off to explore the craggy coast. This island is very wild because every few miles of coast line was completely different. It was almost like we were passing by many different islands. Some sections had very steep cliffs covered with bright, smooth sandstone. Other sections had giant boulders that fell from the top all the way into the sea below.

One section had tall pinnacles carved from lava rock that we could barely fit through with the boat. The captain inched us into a big, dark cave with crystal clear water and bright red crabs crawling up the surrounding walls. Then we spotted a little island that looked like it was covered in snow.

I pointed it out to Cindy and she said "I bet that is all Bird poop!" As we got closer we could start to hear the loud cries from the sea lions and could see them bobbing around in the waves. We also found out that the white covering was from years of bird droppings and when the wind shifted just right, the smell just about knocked you off the boat.

The water was crystal clear and you could see sea lions swimming all around us. The shoreline was covered with these big furry creatures all barking out various sounds to one another.

When the 1st Mate dropped the anchor and pulled out the snorkeling gear, I was tempted to say "I think I'll just stay in the boat!" Then I thought for a second and came to my senses. How often do I get the chance to snorkel with sea lions? Not that often!

I knew with Cindy's ankle, there was no way I could get her into the water, so I didn't even try to argue or beg, I just handed her my camera and said "Stand Back, I'm gonna expose the belly!"

Noel was into the water before me and with the look on his face, I knew just because it was a pretty color blue, it wasn't tropical temperatures. When I jumped in, I think the family jewels became hardened marbles and I let out a yelp as the cold water engulfed me. Wasn't I just sweating a few seconds ago in the boat?

Swimming towards the shore, I was amazed at the beautiful fish that were all around me. Amazing colors, big schools and loads of species I had never seen before. I was so pissed off that I didn't have an underwater camera! Why when we found out ours had broke only days before we left, didn't we go buy a new one?

Then I noticed a few sea lions swim past me and my heart started racing. For some reason when there is something in the water larger than you, even though they are supposed to be harmless, it sort of freaked me out.

I was sitting there floating in about 12 feet of crystal clear water watching two big bulls fighting under water when in an instant, one of them turned towards me with a mouthful of teeth exposed.

Before I could start to swim backwards, he was within inches of my face showing me that he meant business. I've never in my life been so scared and I think I crapped my pants right there in the water. Or at least I would have if I wasn't screaming so loud through my snorkel that I think I scared the bull lion as bad as he scared me.

I was backpaddling so fast I thought my fins were going to kick up a wake. When I was far enough away from the two bulls, who were now back to fighting, I noticed everyone else in the group was over by a pod of baby seals.

I figured if they could sit and swim with them, then maybe I would be safe over there. I sat still just floating for a few to let my heart calm down. I was worried that everyone else could hear it since it was still the only thing I could hear.

I watched one of the girls from our group swim with these two sea lions who were playing with a piece of coral. They were fighting over it like two puppies would over a bone. At one point she was able to grab it out of their mouth and they both sat waiting for her to do something with it. Sort of like saying "Throw it already!"

When she let it go to sink to the bottom, they both went after it playing the whole time like the kids they were.

At this point I headed back to the boat because I was starting to go into the early stages of hypothermia. I should have known when the 1st Mate and the Captain had on full wet suits that the water was going to be a bit cold.

Once back on the boat, Cindy, Jackie and I all sat watching the sea lions swim around the boat, bobbing around in the turquoise water. The 1st mate whose name is Louis, swam up to the edge of the boat with a few treasures he had found on the bottom.

He placed a few different varieties of sea stars on the edge for us to look at. I had never seen star fish like this before and each one was so unique. They were still alive and there arms would curl around anything you set them on. Cindy sat holding one as it grabbed ahold of her with its thousands of little suction cups hands.

When everyone was back on the boat, we headed off towards a nice warm beach so we could have some lunch and dry our cold bathing suits on the hot sand.

After lunch, the guides were showing us various landmarks around the islands when I pointed out a heavy flock of birds to the captain. He dropped the throttles and raced towards the feeding frenzy. This was exactly like I remembered the large pod of dolphin while I was paddling off of Playa Santispac, only this time instead of 50 or so dolphin, there were hundreds.

Boat%20Trip%204.JPG

Once in the middle of the pod, he eased up on the throttles and allowed the boat to just float in the middle of what was the largest pod of dolphins I have ever seen. I looked back at Cindy who had tears streaming down her face and said "Can you believe this?"

Every now and then a dolphin would come shooting out of the water and you'd hear the group of tourists on the boat let out a loud "WOW!" It didn't matter which direction you looked, the water was just boiling with dolphins jumping all around us.

When the captain finally said "Ok, we have to go home now" he started driving towards the shoreline with dolphin thinking it was now a game to play in the boats wake. There were dozens of dolphin right under the front of the boat that would race along only a few feet from the front of the bow. Every now and then a few of them would race ahead and come shooting out of the water, some so close we would get splashed when they would land back in the surf.

As we came pulling back up to the beach, everyone was talking about the beautiful sights we had encountered on our 4 hour excursion. What a great day on the water, and we couldn't have asked for a better ending. Make sure to check out our Gallery of Isla Espiritu Santo

Boat%20Trip%205.JPG

By the time we got back to Casablanca, I was ready for a nap. Instead, we showered up and got ready to go walk along the malecón in downtown La Paz. For such a large city, I think it's quieter than it was in Loretto. Except for the owner of the campgrounds barking dog, there isn't the constant sound of booming radios, no chickens crowing all night long, and the city seemed very clean and well kept.

Finding parking for my truck was a different story. The downtown was packed tonight and parking in a parking structure is out of the question with our roof racks.

Once we got parked, we strolled along the malecón with the sun setting over the Gulf of California. There were street vendors selling anything from hot dogs to tacos to balloons. We found an open air restaurant overlooking the street and ordered a round of margaritas. With a toast to a perfect day spent with great company, we finished off the night with good food, strong drinks and great conversation.

meafordmike

Adventurer
Hey Mike, I'd love to share a good Baja trip with you and Keri-Ann!! There is a Camping Trip some members are putting together in Georgia/Tennessee area this January if you want to do a short weekend?

I would love to but I am afraid one family trip a winter is all our work will allow. And I am heading to Disney World with the kids this New Years.
I think Keri-Ann would love to travel to world pulling our 25ft Jayco, but my small Tacoma would not love it! I am getting her to read you trip post now and she already loves it. After reading your post I think I will have a hard time convincing her to sleep in the back of the Taco next year, and she will insist on trying to pull the 5000lb trailer around Moab.
I just emailed you one your Low-Key hideaway site.
Mike

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Wednesday

We were in no hurry to get on the road this morning, so we took our time getting camp packed up. Cindy worked on her blog as I fiddled with some stuff around the camper.

A few days ago, a camper pulled into the campground with a tri-axle toy hauler that looked as though it had rolled over or been rear ended. I offered the two guys any help I could lend them, but they both just sort of looked blankly at the strapped together RV and said there isn't really anything we can do to fix it.

Wrecked%20RV.JPG

The drop tail gate was held together with a small ratchet strap and the rear section of the frame was almost touching the ground. The drivers side of the RV looked as though the springs were blown out on the axles due to the way it was sitting, and I couldn't believe they were going to tow it out of here in this shape!

The most amazing thing to me was they were towing this huge tri-axle toy hauler with a GMC Denali! I'm not sure of my GMC Vehicles, but I think that is the equivalent of a Ford F-150 when it comes to pay load ratings? The Denali was sitting on it's helper springs just hooked up to the behemoth of an RV. I'd be worried about towing that thing with my truck, and I'd sure as hell not tow it 10 feet in that condition.

When we saw them loading up and getting ready to get on the road, we shifted up a gear and got on the road before them. That is an accident waiting to happen, and in the shape it's in traveling on these roads, they'll be lucky if they don't kill themselves this time.

Driving out of La Paz, we were treated to four lane highways with smooth sailing. About 50 miles out of town, we went back to more narrow roads, none that were that bad though.

El%20Triunfo.JPG

About an hour into our drive, we passed through the cool little ghost town of El Triunfo and pulled over to stretch our legs. This little town used to be home to a gold and silver mine and still has the tall smokestack of the smelter behind town on the hill.

We wandered around looking at the old buildings and checking out a few of the locally made crafts being sold out of peoples homes.

At one house, the neighborhood kids gathered around Cindy asking questions faster than Noel could translate them about the dogs.

They were amazed that we had collars on them and kept pulling on the leashes asking what they were for? Just when Jackie was saying "I'm going to go back to the RV and get some of the toys we brought down planning to donate to the orphanages, and give them to these kids" one of them pulled out a cell phone and started taking pictures of Luca.

Noel started laughing and told her that "They werent as out of touch as we thought they were, if one of them had a cell phone!"

We checked out the old church that is being restored by some local craftsman before we found the bake shop. I bought some baked goods just because I thought it would be rude to just give them money. Anytime I see people that are trying to sell hand made items to support themselves, I have trouble not buying something.

When we got back to the trucks, I sat in the shade on the curb eating my little cheese filled baked goods while everyone took a short break.

El%20Triunfo%201.JPG

When we were ready to get back on the road, I made a wrong turn on a side street and got myself in a bind. These roads look like they were made for horse and buggy, and trying to turn a truck and trailer without riding up on the foot high curbs is next to impossible.

With the front end of the truck on one curb, and the back tires of the camper up on another curb, I had to get out and put a few of the boards we keep with us to level the camper on the edge of the curb. By this point we had a bunch of the towns people out watching my stupid antics probably all laughing at these idiotic gringos.

Once we were back on the road, we thought our trouble for the day was over.

Jackie was calling on the radio to warn me of an on-coming semi when I noticed the truck behind the semi was close to the center line. The big semi's scare me, but their mirrors are so tall, that I usually don't worry too much about them.

It's the full size delivery trucks that have mirrors at the same level as mine that worry me. Just as I was saying "Hold On, this one's close!" We heard the loud **********!!! You've got to be kidding me!?!

I opened my eyes expecting to see another broken mirror like the last time we got clobbered, when Cindy was yelling for me to watch the edge of the road. I had swerved over to try and avoid him hitting the side of the camper and was now about to go off the edge of the road. I pulled it back on the road and we both calmed down a bit.

He hadn't hit the camper, and to our surprise, the only damage he did was crack the turn signal lens on the edge of my mirror. Man was that close!! I couldn't believe I still had 90% of my mirror intact! Boy were we lucky on that one.

Before too long we were pulling up to Los Barriles and into East Cape RV Resort. This is a beautiful campground that makes anything else we've stayed in so far seem pale in comparison.

This is more like a RV Resort than a campground. The landscaping alone is something out of Better Homes & Gardens. There are so many different types of tropical plants on the grounds, the owners will give you a pamphlet listing the identities so you can identify them.

There is a beautiful pool, hot tub, laundry facilities, showers and bathrooms that look like something you'd have in your own house, and it's only a block from the beach. We sat talking with the owners, Theresa and Sean who gave us so much information on things to do in the area, Cindy was saying she wanted to stay for a few nights before we even finished parking.

The owners have a Sport Fishing service they run out of the campground, and were telling us about the great fishing this area offers. Teresa was also telling us about the local Manta Rays and how they are known to jump right out of the water.

She showed us pictures of huge manta rays five feet out of the water!

My shutter finger was already itching when I saw this. Once we had camp set up, I was talking with Noel when Jackie came walking over saying that "Theresa just said the manta rays are jumping right off the beach right now!"

We all grabbed some beach chairs and headed for the free show. Noel and Jackie left a few minutes before us because I was getting out my bigger telephoto lenses to try and capture this amazing sight on film.

When we got to the beach, we saw Theresa's husband Sean who was running fuel and fresh water to his guys who were anchored just off shore. Sean pointed out the manta rays and my jaw instantly dropped open.

I said to Cindy "Look at all those birds, maybe there are more dolphin!" Then we both looked through our lenses and realized it wasn't birds at all, it was the manta rays jumping out of the water!

I was sitting there trying to get a shot of the jumping manta rays when Sean said "Hey you guys want to go out into the middle of that school?" Cindy asked "Yeah, how do we do that?" He said "I'll have one of my guys take you out with the dinghy right there."

Well Sean didn't have to ask twice! Next thing you know, Cindy and I are climbing aboard this small aluminum boat and our Mexican captain is driving us towards a school of jumping manta rays!

At first I was thinking this is soo cool, then I started remembering those news reports of the woman dying in Florida when one jumped in her boat and killed her. Seconds later, when a manta ray with a 4 foot wingspan launched into the air only feet from the three of us, I was starting to wonder if this was a good idea?

We sat out there for about 20 minutes with both cameras rattling off images as fast as we could press the shutter. It only took that long for us to fill 6 gig's worth of compact flash cards with images. All that we had brought with us not knowing what we'd expect

I was starting to take a picture of one ray when another one leapt out of the water and landed within inches of hitting Cindy. It came so close, I got soaked with water when it hit the side of the boat. The captain was yelling something in Spanish that neither of us could understand and when I looked at Cindy who was cradling her camera like a baby and huddled on the floor of the boat, we both were laughing like a couple of school children.

This is the one that almost hit Cindy, I know it's a tad Blurry,
but I was in the process of dropping the camera to cover my face!

We looked back at the captain and all three of us started laughing. The school of rays swimming underneath of us was probably a few hundred strong and we could feel them hitting the bottom of the boat! This was so fricking weird, it was almost fake. The sound of big manta rays hitting the water all around us sounded like someone was lighting off firecrackers on the forth of July.

338617686_hRvFp-L-3.jpg

When both of us had filled the compact flash cards in our cameras, we asked the captain to take us back to shore. On the ride back in, we had a few more close calls with big rays, or Mobulas as their know down here in Mexico, almost hitting the boat and by this point it was just plain funny. No longer were we scared, we were just having some fun now.

A Gallery of Flying Moblua's can be seen here.

When we pulled back into shore, Jackie and Noel were waiting by our beach chairs while we scrambled out of the boat. We tipped the captain and thanked him for the amazing experience.

I couldn't wait to get back to the camper and download our pictures to see if we had caught any good shots. This is the way I like to fish, the ultimate catch and release. We don't even scar the fish with a hook!

338613433_f2uvo-L-3.jpg

If the day couldn't get any better than this, when we got back to the Sunline, Cindy cooked us up some tasty dinner while I jumped in the shower. I had to wash a little of the adrenaline off of me after that last ordeal.

Just after sunset, with an exotic bouquet of smells coming in the windows from all the flowers around us, we heard symphony music. At first I thought maybe someone in the campground was playing it on their radio and we could just hear it clearly. We both commented on how it went perfect with the great smells, dinner and the perfect way to end the day.

Then we heard a loud applause and realized it was coming from the open air cafe that was right behind the campground. So while we sat editing our pictures from today's fun, we were serenaded with awesome live music from our campers edge.

How does this keep happening to us? And please don't wake me up! Every day gets better than the last here in Baja! I don't know if were ever going to leave if this keeps up.

I was trying to do some research on the Mobulas online, and found this website. This guy goes into such detail on the species, I figured I just link to his site rather than try and explain any of it myself.

Check out our Gallery of the Mobulas here!

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Thursday

The past few days have been non-stop action it seems like. I joked with Cindy that Noel and Jackie are very hard to keep up with, and they're a few years older than us. We need to get in better shape.

Being as we have a really fast internet signal here at East Cape RV Park, we decided it might be a good idea to stay still for a few days and catch-up on things we've been putting off.

Jackie is flying home today, and Noel had to get her to Cabo for her flight. So we said our "Good-byes" and thanked them for all the wonderful memories they've experienced with us the past few days.

East%20Cape%201.JPG

Without them, we probably wouldn't have come this far south, so we're very glad that we ran into them in Loreto.

Today was one of those days that Cindy has been jonesing for. When I told her I had about 3 or 4 hours of work on the computer, she grabbed her book and said "I'll be at the pool if you need me!"

I think that's one of the reasons Cindy wanted to stay here so bad. When I told her the campground had a great signal, and I could work out of the RV, not having to go sit in a office or laundromat, she looked around at the great pool and hot tub, and thought it might suit her well.

423657959_d9gkp-L-1.jpg

So I don't have much to say for today, except by 4 o'clock, I was ready for happy hour. After contemplating paddling out into the big schools of Mobula, to try and get some more pictures, I kept having images of a big ray flying up out of the water, hitting me or Cindy, and one of us dropping our cameras in the ocean. Not a good thing!

So I went down to the office and asked Sean if I could pay him to take us out in his little aluminum boat for an hour or two. He said that it would be no problem, and just meet him on the beach later in the afternoon.

So I grabbed Cindy and had the camera gear all loaded up in the bags. I actually had to get her up from the pool deck, which was an ordeal in itself. But once I got her up and moving, we walked the block to the beach.

This is when I realized that maybe yesterday was more of a once in a lifetime experience. The large schools of jumping Mobulas werent out this afternoon. We could see one or two jumping every now and then, but nothing like the hundreds we had watched yesterday for a few hours.

East%20Cape.JPG

So Sean said the offer would be on the table any time we wanted to go out. We sat watching his dog, Rasta who waits every day as the fishing boats come in for one of the deck hands to throw him a bait fish. He then chases it up and down the beach playing with it like a normal dog would with a bone. It's very funny to watch.

Sean suggested another RV park that had a bar overlooking the beach where we could sit and relax and watch the sunset.

We walked through the soft sand and grabbed a couple of rocking chairs on the second level patio of this little bar. This made for some great people watching and gave us a great view of the tremendous aquatic life down here.

At one point, we watched a big school of squid beach themselves because something was chasing them through the water. Once they were stranded on the beach, flopping around helplessly, some young kids came running out and started throwing them back in the ocean.

East%20Cape%2011.JPG

One woman came running out with a bag and picked up 4-5 probably to have some fresh calamari for dinner or use for bait on tomorrows fishing excursion. We also saw a few of the schools of jumping Rays pass by, but we were enjoying the view too much to try and run back down to Sean and get the boat out in the water.

East%20Cape%202.JPG

Besides, the people watching was great. There was some guy on a ATV 6-Wheeler that was towing a boat on the beach, and he managed to get this thing so stuck, that we just laughed at how foolish he was with the way he was driving it.

After our Margarita, we walked down the street headed for East Cape. Right across the street from the campground, are a few restaurants. Sean had told us that the one right in front had great food. So we thought we'd check it out.

Looking over the menu, they said they had a fresh catch special. Cindy asked what it was and she said something in Spanish that neither of us understood. Cindy asked if they had Dorado or Mahi-Mahi a most people know it by, and the waitress said "Se, that's what the special is."

So we both ordered the special. Well when she brought it out, I about spit my soup across the table. I actually did start laughing so hard, that some of the spicy soup came out my nose, which burned like hell, but gave Cindy a good laugh.

What the lady brought out was a small fish, that still had everything on it. The scales, the head, the tail and it ever still had its eye balls in the head. We were both laughing pretty hard, because this is nothing like Mahi-Mahi like we both were looking forward to eating.

East%20cape%207.JPG

Cindy politely asked for a carry-out box and we just brought it home for the dogs. It's our own fault for not being able to speak Spanish, and no one in this restaurant spoke any English, so we just paid our check, and brought the dogs a $20 meal. Yep, they're spoiled.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Friday

We had made plans with Sean and Theresa to go out on their boats today for one of the scenic cruises they offer through Congo's Sport Fishing. We were up early and on the beach at 8:30am.

They have two beautiful boats that were going to take our large group out to try our luck with Mother Ocean and see what she would show us today. The weather was great, a tad bit cool, with a light cloud cover, but still in the mid 70's.

They loaded the boats up and we headed out on the glassy clam water. It didn't take long before we were floating through a large school of Mobula. We're talking hundreds of hundreds of these suckers all jumping like mad.

Once we had our fill, which I could never get sick of seeing them jump, but there were plenty of other people on the boats, so I couldn't talk them into just sitting still for as long as I'd have liked, we headed out to look for more sea creatures.

423693037_yUMTy-L-1.jpg

The captain and his 1st mate kept pointing out different fish that we'd troll up on. We spotted a few Leatherback Turtles that were floating on the surface, which was very cool. Then saw a few dolphin and a sea lion that was just floating on its back Thermo-regulating.

423698289_ZxNLW-L-1.jpg

There was a marine biologist on board today, and she said "When the sea lions float on their backs with all four flippers in the air, it's called thermo-regulating. They're drawing heat from the sun through their exposed flippers and conserving energy while just floating on the surface."

So that was cool to learn. After seeing and learning all of this, we were headed North about a mile out, when we started seeing whales breeching the surface. Now the California Gray Whales just come out of the surface a bit, but these whales we were coming up on were shooting out of the surface with almost all of their bodies!

When we finally got close enough to see what they were, we found out it was 3 Humpbacks; a mother and two calves. The calves were the ones who were playing around and jumping out of the water almost non-stop. This was so cool because ever time we had seen the Gray Whales, it was very random and almost rare to see them breech. But now we were seeing it over and over. After about 20 minutes of playtime, they dove deep and stayed down long enough that everyone got bored and we moved on.

423695532_3QgcM-L-1.jpg

It was time for lunch at the Giggling Marlin restaurant. We had all picked out our meals this morning at the campground, and Teresa had faxed our order over to this little oasis nestled in a tropical bay.

Lunch was fabulous, and the company was also great. Everyone sat around talking about all the great sights we had witnessed this morning and got to know one another. Once lunch was over, we loaded back on the boats to head over to a protected cove for some snorkeling. Or at least most of the group was going snorkeling. After the last swim with the seals, I'm not getting in this freezing cold water unless I get myself a wet suit.

East%20Cape%205.JPG

There wasn't one person that jumped in the water that didn't come up screaming about how cold it was. This also makes for a great show as each person went in one by one. I was disappointed, because I do love to snorkel, but we had a long boat ride back, and with the overcast skies, I wasn't about to freeze my tail off for the next few hours.

So we lounged around talking with our boat captain who spoke great English for having lived in Mexico his whole life. He had so many stories to keep Cindy and I laughing, that I'm now glad we didn't go snorkeling.

423698926_3e3iw-L-1.jpg

On the way back to East Cape, we saw a few more interesting things on the water. A few big schools of yellow fin that were turning the water up something crazy, then a few schools of Mobulas that were probably 100 feet wide by 100 yards long! We're talking thousands of rays just floating at the surface.

East%20Cape%206.JPG

It was so cool to see all of this, especially from the tall tower of the fishing boats. You see so much more from up at that angle.

By the time we got back to the camper, it was after 6pm and we were both ready for bed. Cindy made some grilled hamburgers with grilled asparagus on the side, which was mouth watering, and we started the long process of downloading the days pictures.

What a perfect day on the water. We had so much fun with our boat captain, Roger, and all the great people we met along the way.

Oh, and that picture, that's Theresa, the owner of the boat jumping in the water to go snorkeling with the rest of the gang!

Check out our Gallery from the Day out on the water with Congo's Awesome Charters. We also have a gallery put together from our First Month in Baja if you'd like to see all the pictures put in one gallery

targa88

Explorer
338613433_f2uvo-L-3.jpg

Pat,
The pix of the whales were brilliant.
But the Mantas absolutely EPIC.
Never seen them airborne out of the water like that..definitely one of those memorable moments.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
338613433_f2uvo-L-3.jpg

Pat,
The pix of the whales were brilliant.
But the Mantas absolutely EPIC.
Never seen them airborne out of the water like that..definitely one of those memorable moments.

Targa88, Thanks!! The pics of the whales are a mix of mine and my wifes as are the Flying Mobulas. She got her shot of the whale published in a Baja Calendar and we had multiple photos of the mobulas published in various magazines.

It turned out to be a pretty epic day on the water and it's still one of those things we talk about on a weekly basis. Hell just reposting this is making me long for another Baja adventure

Esmi

Explorer
Ahem.

Pat --

We're all waiting ... ... ... it's been more than 14 hours since your last post and we're jonesing for the next installment.

(Very nice photos and write-up of your trip. Thanks for sharing!)

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Sorry, just got home from driving the few hundred miles up to Tallahassee to get our beer & wine license for our tiki bar. :friday:

I'll get back to uploading this adventure :sombrero:

Last edited:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Sunday

I'd like to start by saying that I'm sorry that I haven't been around for the past few days, but I haven't really felt like putting anything in the blog. I try and never be negative, so that's why I haven't been typing much.

Manta%20Rays%204.JPG

See, after that first time we went out with the flying mobulas on the Sea of Cortez, I couldn't stop thinking about getting back out there and trying to get even better shots than our first attempt.

We had gone down to the beach a few different times, but each time there would be either no flying rays, or the water was too rough to paddle out in our kayaks.

Cindy and I really wanted to go out in the kayaks to try and get real close up to these wild creatures that jump right out of the water for no apparent reason. We both thought it would be just out of this world to be paddling this close to something so out of the ordinary. Or I should say, that I thought it would be cool. Cindy kept saying that she didn't want to do it incase anything would happen to us, or worse yet, one would hit one of our kayaks, causing us to tip over and the camera gear would take a salt water swim.

423700577_bnWY6-L-1.jpg

Well on Sunday afternoon, we heard the water was pretty calm, so we drove the truck down to the beach and unloaded the kayaks. Cindy said right away, "There is a pretty good chop on the water, so I'm not bringing my camera along!"

I decided that I'd bring my Canon 1D camera body, her big Canon 28-300 L lens (Her pride and joy) and my 580EX flash, because I wanted to try a few different things with lighting to see if I could get a different look. Like I said, this is all I had thought about for the past few days. When you've got that photography bug as bad as I do, it tends to control your thoughts.

So I got Cindy loaded up and out into the water. A beach entrance on a kayak can be tricky because of the fact that you have no way to get into the kayak with anything on the ground to hold it steady. So once she was in and paddling towards the giant school of jumping mobulas, I finished loading up my kayak, (I was bringing extra compact flash cards and all 3 of my camera batteries because we planned on being out for awhile) and I finally started to get into the water.

438439729_dZPbC-L-1.jpg

The waves were coming in mildly, and I had to walk my 14' kayak into waist deep water to get in so the entire boat would be off the shore. The camera was sitting in my deck bag, a bag that is water resistant nylon, to keep splashing water off of it, but not waterproof by any means.

As I was crawling into the boat, a nice wave came and knocked me off my balance which made the camera start to teeter. I lunged for the camera just in time to grab it before it went into the ocean. What happened next was enough to make a grown man cry!

East%20Cape%2013.JPG

The momentum of me diving for the camera and not being stabilized by anything but the boat, had me way off balance. I was trying to recover without tipping the whole thing over, but after a few minutes of looking like a drunken penguin, the worst case scenario happened. [/COLOR]

I went in the drink with camera in hand.

I think time stood still for a few seconds as I was underwater thinking "Hopefully this is just a bad dream and I'll wake up having just wet the bed or something bad like that!" But when I put my feet down and pushed up on the sand, I instantly came back to reality knowing that I had just ruined close to $8,000 worth of camera gear in a few seconds.

All our gear is high quality gear, and is supposed to be able to handle splashes and some rough handling, but nothing short of a $1500 water-tight case can protect a camera from full submersion in salt water.

I came shooting up out of the water and was practically running on the top of the waves. I made it to the truck in record time and set the camera on the hood when I realized the keys were in my deck bag which was still upside-down on the kayak.

I ran back into the ocean, dove under water to retrieve the flash, my two batteries that were now floating on the bottom like a couple of rocks and right the upside down kayak itself.

OH MY GOD, how could this possibly happen?

The next few minutes probably looked comical to anyone standing on the shore watching me run back and forth to the truck like I was a paramedic returning to the ambulance for rescue supplies. At this point, Cindy was still paddling out towards the jumping fish I wanted so badly to take pictures of, and was clueless to my sheer and utter panic.

As I was trying to frantically dry everything off on the front seat of the truck, I heard Cindy yell, "Hey DumbA$$, your kayak is starting to float out to sea!" She hadn't seen any of it and was just thinking I was still standing at the truck getting ready to paddle out. Little did she know, that her camera lens, the one that she had said "Why do you have to bring my lens out? You had better not let anything happen to that or else!" was now having salt water poured out of it.

East%20Cape%2012.JPG

I could feel needles popping out of my spine not wanting to turn around from the safety of the truck and have her see all my gear on the seat, filled with a thick salty residue. High Dollar batteries popping and hissing because of the salt water reacting with them.

When I finally did turn around and she realized I was soaking wet, I saw her face go white with fear. Her lips started trembling as she said "Tell me you didn't tip over already!"

I just stood there knowing I was at fault. Why on earth hadn't I taken the half hour to get our Pelican Boxes out of the storage bins? The ones that hold the camera gear dry and protected on the deck of the kayaks. I normally go through the hassle of getting out all this extra equipment, but I had become so cocky after the last month of paddling these calm ocean currents, that I thought "Why go through all that hassle every time when you never tip over?"

I swear, I just wanted to sit and cry right there in the sand. Now of all people, I will be the first to say "It's just a piece of equipment, I know I can replace it!" But we're in Mexico, it's hard to even find a place to buy batteries, let along a camera repair shop or even a camera shop in the first place.

When Cindy finally paddled back and got out of her boat, I thought she was going to come up and knock my head off my shoulders. She just walked up and looked at all the gear with her lip trembling and said "OH MY GOD, I told you this would happen! You've ruined our trip!" There it was, the proverbial "I Told You So!"

Just as she was saying that, I started to take the battery out of the camera and about a quart of salt water just poured out when the battery door opened. That was just the icing on the cake, and she stormed off to walk home. I was honestly thinking she'd walk all the way home to Michigan at this point.

I said what I always say in a predicament like this, "Cindy, it's just a materialistic item, we can replace it!" But she wanted no part in my calming down speech, and kept waking down the sandy shoreline towards our campground.

Baja%2055.JPG

So here I was left on the beach with all this ruined camera gear sprawled out around the truck trying to dry. I loaded up the kayaks, and if things couldn't get worse then they already were, while trying to back out, I buried the truck in the sand.

Remember the part about a grown man crying, well short of tears streaming down my face, I was as close as you could get to fully bawling my eyes out. While getting a full lesson in humility, I got out and aired down the tires as low as I could, and spent the next half hour digging myself out.

By the time I pulled back up to the street, Cindy was walking the dogs towards the truck when she asked "So how long were you stuck for?" I just gave her a look....you know, one of those looks, and drove right past her letting her walk the few blocks back to the camper.

By the time she walked back to the campground, she had cooled down enough and apologized for yelling so bad at the beach. She said, "You're right, they are just materialistic things, and they can be replaced; so lets forget about it till we get back to the United States and can send them back to Canon to get fixed."

Then she added one more stab to the gaping open wound when she said, "And don't plan on using my camera now that you've ruined yours!"

The rest of the night I don't think we said two words to one another, which is hard when you live in 200 square feet of space. I spent the night with a fan blowing on all of my gear, and tried to wipe everything down as best I could. I washed down my wounded ego with a bottle of Cazadores and did my best to put this past me.

I'm almost positive it's all a lost cause, but what else was I to do? I just couldn't stop thinking about how stupid I was and why hadn't I gotten out the waterproof boxes? This would be the second time in only a month I've gone against two of my own rules. Don't rush, and do it right the first time.

Last time I did something in a hurry, I tore off the rear scissor jacks while trying to pull out as fast as I could. And rather than load the camera gear up the right way, I get cocky and think "I haven't tipped over in the last hundred times out on the water, why get out all that waterproof gear?" Then I go and tip over, and I don't have a single picture to show for it.

Needless to say, neither of us slept too good that night. We both stayed awake all night not saying a word to one another. I knew Cindy wanted to just scream at me, but what more was there to say when I already knew how stupid I was? She knew I felt like that too, so except for continued apologies from me, there was nothing more to say.

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader
Tuesday

We had planned on going out on a fishing trip to try and take some pictures with one of Congo's Awesome Sport Fishing guide boats today, and being as neither one of us really slept much last night, I was up and getting stuff ready by 6am.

Congos.jpg

Cindy had already been up for a few hours and was working on the computer.

I asked if she was coming, to which she replied, "No you go by yourself, I think I need some time away from you today." So I apologized again, and grabbed her camera and a few more lenses and headed for the docks. Hopefully I would be able to stay above the water today.

Theresa, the owner of the campground and sport fishing service said she had one boat going out that only had one gentleman chartering it with a young man going along, and that was who I was going out with. So I introduced myself to Richard and Eric, and we headed away from shore with a light fog hanging over the water.

423733120_MM4PP-L-1.jpg

While the 1st mate was rigging the rods and getting the boat prepped, Richard and I made small talk and got to know one another. That's just what I needed was something to get my mind off of what had happened yesterday.

Besides, there is no use in crying over spilt milk as they say.

423725614_g2rZQ-L-1.jpg

It was within the first 45 minutes when we heard a line get snapped from the outrigger and we knew we had "Fish On!" as the 1st Mate was running for the reels.

423729756_aqJSz-L-1.jpg

The rest of the day was spent with Richard and Eric reeling in numerous Dorado, Richard landing a small Mako Shark, and Eric fighting a 150lb Marlin for about 45 minutes. Needless to say, it was a good day on the water.

On our ride back in; we were 20 miles out at one point, we spotted pods of dolphin, a few sea lions, and one Humpback Whale that kept breaching far out of the water.

Richard was kind enough to give me a steak from each fish they had caught, which just about stuffed our freezer full with today's fresh catch. The rest was going to be donated to the local elementary school here in Los Barriles where Eric's mother and father teach.

423724839_qTjhx-L-1.jpg

I guess Richard has been coming down here for years now, and has sort of adopted Eric to help him with his schooling and education. Each year Richard makes a large donation to this school to try and help them out with food and supplies. He told me that he also works for Pepsi Co., and what ever he donates, Pepsi has agreed to double the donation. So last year they gave the school close to $15,000 dollars in much needed support!!!

He explained the Mexican government only gives the school $50 per month to feed the kids, and the rest is up to the children and their own families to provide. So even though they normally wouldn't keep the 150lb Marlin, they thought that the 100 lbs of meat they would get off of it would be greatly appreciated by the local school kids.

423727813_LfhRt-L-1.jpg

We all agreed that normally we preach Catch and Release, but since this was going to such a good cause, it was justified.

I know when I got home and showed Cindy the large portion of meat I had gotten in exchange for a copy of all the pictures I had taken, she had a smile on her face.

Neither of us had any idea how to cook the Mako, so Cindy went and asked Theresa how to prepare it.

423633112_9QacZ-L-1.jpg

Teresa said "I think you put it in some corn meal, if you know what that is?" Cindy laughed and said "Girl, I was raised in Tennessee, we used Corn Meal in our diapers instead of talcum powder!"

So Cindy rolled the Mako in a corn meal batter and fried it up and man, oh, man was it delicious. Some of the most tender meat I've ever eaten in my life. Not fishy tasting at all.

By this point, we were both over the camera mishap, and agreed to try and not bring it up anymore. It was a hard lesson learned, and one I know I wont forget for a long time.

Side Note: As this was posted in our blogs back in 2008 when we made this trip, we were flooded with emails from various groups chastizing us eating the Mako Shark that was caught.

We had no idea the Mako was an endangered species and we probably wouldnt have eaten it if we knew that.

We've both always said that we try and follow what the locals do when we're traveling. When in the South fried catfish and Collared Greens, when in Cali, its all organic and earth foods...LOL So when in Mexico and they're grilling up the local caught fish, we gobbled it up. Its safe to say if it didnt taste so damn good, it probably wouldnt be endangered

swampjeep

thanks for sharing, I enjoyed the write up, and am tryign to figure out how to get there myself after reading a few stories of Baja Mex.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94