Unimog vs. ....

Blair G

Adventurer
CornDog said:
I'd be the last one to agrue against the merits of a Mog, and that's certianly not what I wanted to do in asking this question. Sure, it's an awesome vehicle that really does blow everything else domestic away.

Metcalf said it well, this is a touchy subject.

I'm just wondering if that 1% of roads that really takes a unimog to traverse justifies the capabilities.

I think you are focusing on the 1% of the roads that the Unimog will beat all others. What you should be looking at is the ability of the Unimog to handle all other roads as well. My 1300 is pressed into more mundane chores every week. Lately it has been helping me move, carrying fence posts, and making beer runs.
The 1300 came from the factory with a lot less creature comforts due to the fact is was for the military. They really don't care about the things that people who use them for fun care about. Like Rob stated, with a little work you can bring the trucks up to an acceptable level of comfort. I think for those people who have a Unimog the "short comings" are easily overcome and the level of service they provide far exceeds anything out there.
Jack mentioned it in his post of the lack of mid size fwd trucks in the USA. If the MAN DOKA was available in the states I would have one as a camper base. With that in mind, what other truck out there in the US is as capable overall as the Unimog?
It really isn't a touchy subject at all. For those of us who have them we understand why we have them.
I have a feeling that if we based the type of vehicle we drive, by the type of roads we drive on 99% of the time, you would drive a Honda Civic. What fun would that be?

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
Ron,

In the technical terrain (rocks, crossed axle, etc.), a Mog has a big advantage from my experience. In reality, you are paying for extreme terrain performance and durability with the mog. If you don't need that much, then the Pinz is awesome and much more manageable.

I have talked with guys that sell and work on both and nearly all recommend the Pinz for livability (repairs, service, parts, etc.)

Like anything else, it all comes down to a balance between your needs and your resources.

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Scott,

Thats good to hear. I was starting to second guess myself. Mogs can climb things I couldnt even attempt in the Pinz, thats for sure. But I can get more places than most mogs can fit. Its for sure a trade off.

Ron B

Explorer
I love mogs and will hopefully someday have one (if I'm lucky!), but for now I'm very happy with my truck's over-all road manners as well as it's abilities offroad. I've never seen a mog in action in person, and would love to ride in one.

So, enough of this my ******** is bigger than your ******** stuff...let's go wheeling!

RB

Robthebrit

Explorer
Ron, get **************** around my house, I live down the street from you.

And yeah it is bigger, my truck that is :ylsmoke:

Rob

Ron B

Explorer
He he.

I'm on the road to Moab right now, be back in a week. I couldn't even bring my truck...bummer! I'm getting some suspension mods done and it wasn't completed in time...took longer than I thought.

I'll get in touch when I'm back so we can go break our trucks!

rb

Blair G

Adventurer
Ron B said:
So, enough of this my ******** is bigger than your ******** stuff...let's go wheeling!

RB
Damn, I thought we were talking about Unimogs! Next time I will attach the appropriate picture. Rob, you are on your own on this one. All I have are pictures of your Unimog.

blupaddler

Conspirator
So, I have been thinking...
And have come up with a couple of questions...

1. Do unimogs come with AC? Or would I be better off getting one of those roof mounted units for the AC?
2. Is the bed length a certain length? With regards to the 1300, etc.(I know Blair uses an Alaskan camper on his sometimes) And how short is the bed on the 416 Dokas?
3. Is there somewhere I can find a "beginners" guide to unimogs? Something that explains the differences between all the models? Stuff to beware of, etc, etc?
4. This one is more towards Rob. How tall, height, are most expedition campers?
5. What is a good first timers unimog? Is it worth it to wait for a double cab, doka right?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Robthebrit

Explorer
A) No mogs come with AC, its always an option but the new U500's pretty much always have it. Its a factory option and available aftermarket on all the square cab SBU mogs (the ones that look like 1300's). For the older cabs like mine you have to fab your own from components from somewhere like vintage air. I have 99% of the parts that were originally for my doka but it may end up in the camper simply becausre it has a spare puilley because there is no aux air compressor on the camper, therefore there is also a spot for the AC compressor. My Doka has pretty much every engine driven option and getting the AC compressor in there is going to be a challenge.

B) The length of the bed depends on the exact model, 416's have a couple of different frame lengths such as the 416.141 and 416.115, the 115's bed is about 2 foot longer but the wheelbase is the same. There is also a fairly rare long wheelbase 416 which has a longer bed. All of the above are available with single or double cabs. The length of a 416 bed varies from 5 to 10 feet. The 1300 bed is something like 10 feet longx7 feet wide, the 1300 is one of the baby's in the SBU series, the biggst mogs have nearly 20 feet of bed.

C) Let me search around for some sites

edit:

http://www.rockymountainmoggers.com
http://www.unimogwherehaus.com/index.html (model info in the truck section)
http://www.west-4x4.demon.co.uk

D) My camper was designed to be under 10 foot so it can fit in a container but it ended up being 10 foot 2. I can easily drop 2 inches by letting the tires down, taking off the wheels and standing it on the rotors gains a foot or so. The 1300 type campers are much bigger than mine, I am guessing most fixed back 1300 type campers are more like 11 feet or more (same goes if they are built on a 1550 or 1750 chassis)

E) A first timer mog is a tough call, it really depends on what you want to do with it. I you want to crawl rocks, want cheap parts, want to tow it to the trail then a gas 404 may be the way to go. If you want to travel long distance then a diesel may be the way to go. If you want to carry passengers then a doka is the way but they come at a premium especially if they have fast axles, parts for all diesel mogs are expensive (fast is a relative term).

Rob

Last edited:

dan chain

Observer
pinz action shots

follow the link for some pics of a pinz fitting thru some tight obstacles. This was the first offroad trip I had taken in it and we were trying to find out how far over you can tip it (i later found out that it is 43.5 degrees side angle) we were only at 30% at the most. http://www.4x4him.org/4x4him/index.php?topic=721.0 The person I bought this pinz from originally had a mog and did not like it so he bought this pinz that i now own and he later traded his mog for a 6x6 pinz. many mog owners I have talked to sell there mogs for a pinz. I havn't owned a mog myself so I can't really comment on them to much.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Colorado Ron said:
Scott,

Thats good to hear. I was starting to second guess myself. Mogs can climb things I couldnt even attempt in the Pinz, thats for sure. But I can get more places than most mogs can fit. Its for sure a trade off.

I don't know about that. Before My buddy sold his Pinz he took us for a ride and went up a hill that had me holding on to the cab wire rack with one hand and my 5 year old with the other to keep from flying out the back. My but was off the seat. One foot bracing off the opposite side.

My Wife was sitting across from me with this shear look of terror holding on for dear life thinking our kid is about to fly out. We were warned to hold on before the climb so I was expecting it but I don't think my wife actually looked to see the hill like I did and it caught her off guard.

My kid was screaming for all she was worth. When it was done her comment. CAN WE DO THAT AGAIN!

Climbing They can do NO problem. :punk03:

Now on the other hand that same Pinz has been on its side 4 times that I am aware of. :yikes:

Meet My buddy Jeff.
attachment.php

Last edited:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
Blair G said:
I have a feeling that if we based the type of vehicle we drive, by the type of roads we drive on 99% of the time, you would drive a Honda Civic. What fun would that be?

How true, this statement!

Colorado Ron

Explorer
Grim Reaper said:
I don't know about that. Before My buddy sold his Pinz he took us for a ride and went up a hill that had me holding on to the cab wire rack with one hand and my 5 year old with the other to keep from flying out the back. My but was off the seat. One foot bracing off the opposite side.

My Wife was sitting across from me with this shear look of terror holding on for dear life thinking our kid is about to fly out. We were warned to hold on before the climb so I was expecting it but I don't think my wife actually looked to see the hill like I did and it caught her off guard.

My kid was screaming for all she was worth. When it was done her comment. CAN WE DO THAT AGAIN!

Climbing They can do NO problem. :punk03:

Now on the other hand that same Pinz has been on its side 4 times that I am aware of. :yikes:

Meet My buddy Jeff.
attachment.php

Oh I agree. Hill climbing, my pinz is near unstoppable. I was more referring to huge boulders that the mogs seem to climb over. They climb over boulders that are bigger than my pinz!lol

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
blupaddler said:
So, I have been thinking...
And have come up with a couple of questions...

1. Do unimogs come with AC? Or would I be better off getting one of those roof mounted units for the AC?
2. Is the bed length a certain length? With regards to the 1300, etc.(I know Blair uses an Alaskan camper on his sometimes) And how short is the bed on the 416 Dokas?
3. Is there somewhere I can find a "beginners" guide to unimogs? Something that explains the differences between all the models? Stuff to beware of, etc, etc?
4. This one is more towards Rob. How tall, height, are most expedition campers?
5. What is a good first timers unimog? Is it worth it to wait for a double cab, doka right?

Thanks.

Hi Robb,

I've found George Bull's Unimog Centre site to be the most helpful of any 'Mog site so far;

www.unimogcentre.com/unimogabout.html

HTH,
Jeremy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94