Unimog vs. ....

Sitec

Adventurer
Here's a pic of Aminah (an ex Dragoman tour truck), doing what he does on a regular basis in North Africa... He is a standard cab-over Mercedes truck, sat on 11R 22.5 tyres with duals on the rear. Only the rear axle is driven (4x2). The truck is approx 7.5m long and and weighs in at around 10 tonnes... Our truck will be of similar dimensions, weights etc, but with the added bonus of 4x4 and slightly larger drive tyres all round (still with duals on the rears).... I plan to rarely use 4x4, and or only use it for more positive driving on loose dirt roads (or to reverse out of something I shouldn't be in!!). I was lucky to run the length and breadth of Africa in standard trucks. None of them were 4x4. We rarely used sand ladders and were only 'properly' stuck a few times when we were where we shouldn't have been. We went everywhere we wanted and needed to go. Yes, I want to get off the beaten track, and yes, I'll push the bounds and get a few places on some interesting tracks etc, but the older I get the less likely I am going to be to risk getting my 10 tonne home on wheels bogged.

Some friends with a 4x4 cab-over Merc recently got themselves bogged in soft sand in the Northern Territory by following some poorly given directions down a sandy track... The 'right' should have been a 'left'. After a few seconds of sinking, a few hours of digging, and then some deflating... then a lot of deflating and more digging, they managed to reverse out of the hole and back to safety. This was the first incident in a long and detailed lap of Australia. They learned a lot, and will be slow to repeat the incident. I think the only limiting factor where a Mog would differ and come out in front is with the high clerance portal axles. Only the original poster can decide what he really wants in a vehicle. I never want to have to dig either a Mog or my truck out... Never say never though.... as I usually manage to do something stupid... (I'd be very glad to see Ian in his Mog when I do though!!!! ;)

Aminah 2.jpg

nathane

As one of those unimog owners spending a couple of years building my rig I am completely aware that for my plans the mog is somewhere between marginal and complete overkill for my plans and introduces all sorts of unnecessary compromises and costs. An NPS would probably have been more sensible, maybe even a sprinter.

The same is true of my LR defender daily drive, but it still makes me grin every time I get in it, leaks and creaks and all. I have a feeling the mog will be the same fun, uplifting experience.

It's ok to do stuff just because it pleases you! Paring back life to the bare minimum to meet functional needs would be a bit boring. ?

unirover

Observer
However for most people, this is a theoretical discussion and would never use it like that. They will buy it for that idea though. And that is a big thing, buying into an image.
Take a standard Landcruiser, throw a mattress in the back, and show me where you can't go in the world with that?
Most of this is theoretical for most people, especially people who haven't driven a Unimog. I'm not buying into an image, I use Unimogs (as well as other vehicles) for what they were designed to do - go where other vehicles in that size can't or do it with a margin of error that I don't have to stress. I just got back from Botswana recently and attempted doing the Central Kalahari Game Reserve south to north in a Land Cruiser. A larger truck (probably army or game wardens) had come through on one section and that was it for the Land Cruiser - not enough ground clearance. A Unimog would not have had any issue and would have actually got better fuel economy. A larger 4x4 Mercedes/MAN/etc would have also made it but probably not with dualies. I've also spent quite a bit of time dragging Land Cruisers down muddy "roads" in South Sudan because they got hopelessly stuck so it was easier to just to drag them behind the Unimog. Don't get me wrong, I love Land Cruisers (and Land Rovers of which I am subject to quite a few) and they are excellent vehicles and at the end of the day they go to most places I want to go to but the Unimog is better for me and goes beyond what Land Crovers do. Unimogs are not infallible and Unimogs, like any other vehicle, can get seriously stuck. I certainly have gotten stuck in a Unimog (as well as Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, Mercedes Trucks etc) but if you haven't gotten stuck or scratched your paint, then you could have driven a 4x4 van or RAV4 ;) Size also does not work in the favor of Unimogs although reasonably equiped Unimogs can squeeze into surpringly small places. The type of trips I do can not be done in a RAV4 but then again the type of trips done in a RAV4 are not necessarily possible in a Unimog. I just happen to prefer Unimog type (or Land Rover type) trips as opposed to RAV4 type trips. If that's buying into an image than I guess I'm glad with my purchases:)

Lovetheworld

@unirover : You are maybe buying into an image, and then living up to the image, I would say well done :p And obviously more Unimog owners are doing that. Just like the guy I told with the army truck.
The buying into an image is for people who don't use it, which could also be the case for a fully overland equipped Defender where the owner doesn't know how any of the 4x4 stuff works.
And I've seen people drive very nice 4x4's accross the globe only staying on tarmac. They all thought they needed a 4x4, they could have used a RAV4 as a kind of an allroad car.
Obviously, a RAV4 is not for diehard offroading but for example in Central Asia you would still be able to do most of the tracks in the mountains.

I know the limitations of our 4x4 van. In fact, I spent a lot of effort to put bigger wheels on it (required bodywork) and lifting it. So it got almost 30cm of ground clearance, which is nothing compared to a Unimog but lets us really use it. Before it was only 19cm.
But saying that I didn't use it properly if I never get stuck is silly. Yeah I also say that when I visit a 4x4 event at home, and get myself stuck at least three times :D
While travelling we never get stuck. I might have to reverse out of some ******** and find another way, but we don't get stuck. Obviously it will happen at some point, but now two major trips through Asia and it has not happened. And we use all-terrain tyres.
I guess I'm driving in a similar way as @Sitec describes. However, We are using our 4x4 van up to its limitations. If you like, see this drone clip we made in Mongolia to get a rough idea:
However, the above is actually quite easy compared to driving around in a Russian forest over sandy grass to find out it is wet soft sand underneath haha
I tried to post it as a link, but now it shows it as a full size clip, wasnot necessary.
Anyway, even in a country like Mongolia we did not get the feeling that we were limited by our car. But I'm repeating myself.

@Sitec what I love about the picture is that there is a standard van in the background. That sums it up really nice. Obviously, you cannot send it into that mud pit, but however, it is somehow using the same roads.
Perhaps there was a bridge next to the picture which allowed vehicles up to 3 ton :p or the van just had to turn around there.

Last edited:

Lovetheworld

Let me try to explain where this "complaining" is coming from:
We made friends on our first overland trip with another young couple at the time. We both had 4x4s (Landcruiser and Defender) and we travelled together, friends for life, etc.
Then came very similar trips in life after this great trip. We all got kids etc, that kind of phase. That left all of us with a desire to make another trip with kids.
We bought this 4x4 Hiace passanger van. After 3 months converting it in the evenings, it was ready to go for first holiday. Lots of tinkering after that, and finally we made a second big trip before being stuck in school system :p
Our friends bought a Unimog (I think 404). He tore it apart and rebuild it like new. But single cab, and they got kids in the mean time. Then all this ideas and saving money for a box on the back. Finding a nice company, but they are very busy.
They still have that Unimog, for years now, really nice truck but not usable without box. They went on a long Europe trip with a standard campervan instead :p
All of this while they had more money and time than we did.

This is next to other people you meet on the road. Some are really using the Unimog as a great tool that it is.
Others were rushing through Mongolia in a few weeks, had not enough time. That was really a shame. You finally reach the ultimate playground for a truck like a Unimog and then barely use it.

But if you have all the time (and money) in the world, don't care about 10 to 15mpg, slow cruising speed (or noisy drive), then go for a Unimog.

unirover

Observer
I think what you are "complaining" about applies to all vehicles. I agree that it is better to have the van you are using than a dream truck that never makes it out of the garage. (been there, done that) . The vehicle is the easy part, actually leaving is the part that gets hard. Kudos for doing it because that is really what it should be about and not how much ground clearance you have. The quest for the perfect vehicle has prevented more trips than the limitations of any specific vehicle. A lot of people who buy Unimogs have big ambitions (hence why they bought the Unimog) and that can often get in the way of actually using it. Others have big money. However not all (or even most) Unimogs are Earthroamer type vehicles or cost a small fortune. I have a U1300L and travel with friends who have a 4x4 Sprinter that is lifted with off-road tires. My Unimog is a bit wider but otherwise smaller in length and height. It gets about the same fuel economy. It has a much smaller turning radius. It is not nearly as comfortable on the road but often more comfortable off-road. My Unimog essentially has the room of a Sprinter but the ability of a pimped Jeep Rubicon. It costs less than a 4x4 Sprinter or a Rubicon plus I don’t have to spend a fortune upgrading it. Dollar for dollar a U1300L is an excellent value. My friends love their Sprinter and they have great adventures in it. I think it’s great too and can imagine having an awesome time with it. However the limitations of their Sprinter is what defines where we explore and I prefer a broader canvas. We still have a great time with the Sprinter and I’m not suggesting one needs a Unimog to explore remote places but it sure comes in handy when you want to go the extra mile. However as you rightly point out, the first mile is more important than the extra mile.

Lovetheworld

I agree and I also realize that the US market is a bit different in that a 4x4 van is usually a much newer costlier Sprinter or so. And sprinter wheel base is usually pretty long.
Here we have some more options. Allthough a lot are just permanent 4wd, there are options like old Hiace or Mitsubishi which are quite capable with low gearing etc.
Anyway, they don't give the same space as a Sprinter or a truck with box.
Then again, there is a bigger selection of bigger 4x4s to allow for bigger boxes on the back. We usually get the small pick-ups over here in Europe. And not many of those.

Last edited:

Iain_U1250

Explorer
I have to admit I am biased, but when we decided to go up the Canning Stock route, it was a decision based the weather being too cold in Alice Springs, so we decided to turn left and head to Halls Creek instead. Thee was no "vehicle preparation" other than to fill up our jerry cans on the roof, and head off. I knew that the truck was easily capable of going up what is supposed to be one of the toughest endurance tracks in Australia. We could stop halfway up the steep sand dunes and pull off again, these were dunes where we watched 4x4 Land Cruisers using 100m long run ups and max track or winches to get up. We were no slower than any of the other vehicles, and as far as noise or heat is concerned, our truck is as quiet and cool as most 4x4 that are capable of traveling down the CSR.

58374247_835905213409115_5747505031981039616_o.jpg

We passed through areas where the trees were rather tight, we just pushed through. One thing we really appreciated was being high up, as the we realised that we could see over the top of the normal scrub that blocks the view for normal 4x4 like when we travelled on the Anne Beadell highway in our Defender. Mog-Trip-2-03088.jpg

Best of all , we still had all the luxuries that most people go without on a track this long. The extra carrying capacity of a truck makes a big difference to what you can take with. We had our Nespresso machine, bread maker and a decent size deep freeze :) We had all the luxuries and camping equipment for living in our truck for months, including our inflatable canoe and a even a sewing machine.

Mog-Trip-2-02863.jpg

With the nearest town being about 600km or more away, having a bigger truck with a long range meant we didn't need any fuel drops, and only put in 100lt of fuel as insurance at the halfway mark, and finished with over 100lt left in the tanks.

Mog-Trip-2-0397.jpg

If you think you can do it in a Sprinter, good luck. All in all, you don't need a Unimog, until you need a Unimog.

Last edited:

Lovetheworld

Well I'm not impressed with the ice-cream and the bread making, because we had that in our small van as well :D
(we don't drink coffee, so that's easy)

But stopping and going on an ascent of a sand dune was never possible, we always had to get some speed :p
And I regard Sprinter as "useless" in the sand dunes because a lot of times they have a huge wheelbase, and lacking the high ground clearance you would need with that long wheel base.

I do think your Unimog will be much more comfortable than the average Unimog I have seen. And that Unimogs are more comfortable when offroading.

I would easily consider a trade, however, it is not a double cab :p

Have fun with it.

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Mine is registered for four people, our rear seats are all legal. :) We have a tent for any visitors as ours only has a bed for the two of us :)

Sitec

Adventurer
Mine is registered for four people, our rear seats are all legal. :)

I hadn't realized that... How did you go about doing it? Are they forward facing? Our 'U' shaped seating will be across the front of the box, so the two extra PAX will be facing the rear with their backs to the drivers cab. The body I have has "second stage manufacture" approval for 18 PAX.... Not sure that's still valid after the 'minor' mods I'm undertaking. I'd be interested to know how hard a process it was. Still loving your pics and trips. Our paths will cross again one day in the not too distant future! Cheers! :)

Iain_U1250

Explorer
Process was not hard, just had to design and build it in accordance with the ADR / VSB rules. Mine are sideways facing, but the other rules are about the windows complying with TUV/.ADR standards, the door rating and door locks, automatic step, rear being "substantial" - ie in accordance with ADR bus requirements, then the seat bases need to be designed in accordance with the standards, same with the seatbelt mounts, and the seats themselves, nothing insurmountable, just need proper research and design. All of it goes to the "Engineer" who has to sign off all the way through and eventually you get the approval, and a "MOD" plateFile 23-11-2015, 5 15 54 PM.jpeg

Sitec

Adventurer
I shall so some research here in SA and see how many hoops there are to jump through. Cheers Ian.

erwin z

I found this in another unimog forum. However, I will link it to youtube. I find it personally interesting....... it really should be here, lol.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier