+d's grand cherokee - mod's/thinking outloud

S

Scenic WonderRunner

+ d said:
agreed!

(i've got a video of you in the 'runner that i need to send you.)

Very Kewl David!

Thanks very much!

You all were so great on taking pics.

OH.......and about Lockers..........I'm considering the "Aussie" at $239 ......you can read up on it at their site.

~Mark

Last edited by a moderator:

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
A friend of mine installed the Powertrax No-Slip in his 2wd Ranger for added traction several years ago. He drove it daily for years and loved the product.

I would consider going this route as well.

durango_60

Explorer
I have a powertrax no-slip in the rear of my 60, absolutely love it. My theory is as long as you are driving a vehicle without excessive power it is a great option. In the 60 I can't even tell it is there on the street, no clicking, nada. On the other hand, I won't even consider an auto locker on my supercharged 80.

Now the lockright that I have in the front of the 60 does not get such a good review, really difficult to steer in high traction areas. Nothing wrong with the lockright, I just wish I had put a selectable locker in the front.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
David,

I checked several sites and that is the lowest price I've seen:beer:

You going to do the install yourself?

+ d

Adventurer
After several months of debating, weighing pros and cons, reviewing budgets and general head scratching. I bought an Aussie Locker and installed it with the old man a few weekends ago. It went right in, instructions were clear and concise. Sealed up the diff, filled it with gear oil and took it for a spin...
ugh, not fun. Turns out it wasn't the product for me. Way, way louder than anticipated. Corners, even with a slight amount of gas, were not pleasant. The back lash was terrible, shifting into reverse made a loud metallic thunk that turned heads in the parking lot. After a bit of back and forth with Aussie Locker tech support we resolved that everything had been installed correctly, but, we were at the upper end of the tolerances. And apparently tighter is better on these things. Wish we had known that during installation, we kept the original thrust washer since the jeep only has 20k, and we were within tolerances...

So we were faced with the conundrum of installing thicker washers and hoping that a couple thou would drastically improve the manners, or, take out the Aussie and put in a different lunch box locker (Like the Powertrax NoSpin which, given the advice here, I should have probably opted for in the first place. But I thought I could go cheap and the click-click would be okay), or, bite the bullet and pay to have a selectable locker installed.

Well the Aussie had to go, and rather than waste another whole day (I really am supposed to be studying) and take a mod step backwards by returning to an open diff. I decided to cut my losses, do it right, and try an Auburn Ected...
There were several things that attracted me to, and made me settle on the Ected. Primarily, the price, at $550 it’s the least expensive selectable locker that I know of. Also the Ected is a limited slip when it’s not “locked” which seems like a bonus and actually achieves its locked state by mechanically compressing the clutch pack. Which seems like it would offer a certain amount of smoothness that could benefit my “fragile” Dana 35 axle. Auburn is a fairly well respected company and also offers a complete replacement program for $100. The Dana 35 Ected just came out a month ago but other Ected applications have been around for years.

I was able to get a good price from 4wheelersupply.com and lined up MIT in El Cajon to do the install. They were pretty amenable with me trying to save money where ever possible; installing the locker that i bought elsewhere, letting me supply the gear oil and removing the labor for the wiring from the install cost. I took the jeep by last Friday (when I should have been heading out toward Yuma to rendezvous for the Black Mountain trip). Dropped it off and walked to the nearest borders book store where I camped out for most of the day, reading those expensive Land Rover mags and studying for my next exam.

Well, so far so good, the rear is tighter now than it was stock and it’s totally transparent on the street. The locker itself and the thoroughness of the wiring and components exude a degree of quality. I have yet to do the wiring (I’d kill for a free weekend) but am looking forward to testing out on an expo trip soon!

CLynn85

Explorer
Very cool. I'd love to put an E-locker in the TJ, but the durability of the D35c is a serious concern. Having personally seen one break on only 32's with light wheeling, I'm hoping to stumble across a nice D44 or 8.8, though unlikely. Either that or considering upgrading the stock shafts in the D35 and going really light on the skinny pedal.

cshontz

Supporting Sponsor
Very interesting, David. I'm sorry to hear about your experience with the Aussie. However, I'm really excited to hear your opinion of the ECTED. I may be interested in those if they are reliable, smooth operating, and lower maintenance than an ARB. I even sent Auburn an e-mail asking about availability for my Chrysler 8.25 rear. My curiosity is piqued. :)

+ d

Adventurer
expeditionswest said:
As my buddy Pasquale always says, buy the best and bleed once...

That's very quotable, i'll have to add that one to my collection!
along with... "never time to do it right, always time to do it twice" and "work smarter, not harder"

We were surprised to find that i did NOT have C-clip axles...which makes me feel a bit better about the bad rep of the Dana 35's. And now with the experience of pulling the axle shafts in a controlled environment I feel more confident about the relatively minor tools and time necessary to replace axles on the trail. I am probably going to start looking for a spare set to keep on hand during more remote adventures.

Just gotta get this thing wired up and test it!
:gunt:

S

Scenic WonderRunner

David....

I'm so sorry you had so much trouble with your Aussie!

So.....does this mean I should not even bother with an Aussie>?!!!!

~Mark

+ d

Adventurer
Mark, given my experience I could never recommend a lunch box locker to anyone, for me it was a waste of time and money...BUT obviously they do work out for many people (Scott had good luck with a NoSlip on the same vehicle). So my assessment is that they are a bit of a gamble, some times you win, sometimes you lose.

Knowing you and your rig a bit, I'd vote for a selectable locker. I always say buy the best, bleed once!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey David

Sorry, i am just getting on this thead. Good choice with an electric selectable locker!

I have owned 2 Jeeps (both leaf sprung wranglers) with lockrights and both were awesome and survived a couple years of east coast wheeling (both were installed in 8.8 rear ends though!).

Lunchbox lockers seem to be hit or miss for everyone. Some love them, some hate them, some wheel them in rocks with 35's and no problems and some blow them up on pavement with 31's! There doesnt seem to be any real explanation for why some experience heavy clunking and some say its smooth as silk. Maybe the manufacturing tolerances are floaty, i dont know! What i do know, is that a selectable is very nice :D

I have owned 4 jeeps (2 CJ's and 2 YJ's) and have hand built 2 of them from the ground up. I still dont know my 80 too well but i know jeeps and that D35 like the back of my hand. Let me know if you need a hand with it!

May i PLEASE STRONGLY SUGGEST upgrading to stronger axle shafts with your elocker?

The D35 is a great axle, despite all the bashing of it, but the shafts are like toothpicks! I have personally witnessed 3 of them break on the trail and 1 on the pavement! All 4 of them have broken in the exact same spot too!

I strongly suggest upgrading the shafts and there are plenty out there. The locker is going to put even more strain on the weak stock units, and they WILL break! Trust me on this one!! :D I have done this on many jeeps and can give you a hand if you'd like, its actually very easy!

Just thought i would add my .02! You have a very nice and clean looking rig with some very nice mods to it! If i am not mistaken, Kilby makes a kit to bolt on a York for OBA! :victory:

Hope all is well!

Last edited:

+ d

Adventurer
thanks for weighing in kevin,

as soon as i recover from the expense of the locker i think aftermarket shafts are a good idea!

meanwhile i have a major electrical project in the works, the parts for which i have been amassing for a while. hopefully i'll get a spare weekend soon to start that and wire up the locker

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
+ d said:
thanks for weighing in kevin,

as soon as i recover from the expense of the locker i think aftermarket shafts are a good idea!

meanwhile i have a major electrical project in the works, the parts for which i have been amassing for a while. hopefully i'll get a spare weekend soon to start that and wire up the locker

No Problem Dave!

What is this electrical project you have going on? I am curious because you CB Install was super clean and very well done!

As far as shafts being a good idea, its more like a requirement. You gotta trust me on this! :D

Is the locker already installed? If so, who did it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior