RTT Questions

Gaidheal

Observer
Do the RTTs open flat? Most of the pictures I see of them open seem to have the side with the ladder attached (the part that opens) always seems to be not quite flat. It can't be the camera angle all the time...

Might not be a problem for someone who sleeps on their back but I can't.

:beer:

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
It's usually just a symptom of fabric tension, but they do go flat. Once they are under weight, it all flattens out nicely. I'm a belly sleeper too, so I would also find it uncomfortable, but that is not the case.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
When I had my Eezi-Awn 1600 storing bedding in the closed tent was a no-go... not enough room to close the tent and get the travel cover on properly. That was one of the major reasons I became unhappy with it.

If I did a RTT again it would be a large Maggiolina. Bedding is no problem with them and they are a true 4 season tent.

Explorer
When I had my Eezi-Awn 1600 storing bedding in the closed tent was a no-go... not enough room to close the tent and get the travel cover on properly. That was one of the major reasons I became unhappy with it.

If I did a RTT again it would be a large Maggiolina. Bedding is no problem with them and they are a true 4 season tent.

I wonder if the T-top Eezi-Awn uses a more spacious cover? I close and cover mine with two sleeping bags, two pillows and a blanket (all down), plus I leave the 4 shelter walls attached to the tent which takes up even more space.

Gaidheal

Observer
It's usually just a symptom of fabric tension, but they do go flat. Once they are under weight, it all flattens out nicely. I'm a belly sleeper too, so I would also find it uncomfortable, but that is not the case.

Great info - thanks!

:beer:

Mr. Leary

Glamping Excursionaire
I have the Expedition Plus Series Mombasa tent and the changing room attachment. I have been very happy with it, but have yet to get caught out in bad weather other then wind.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
RTT Ladder Stability

Safety Sam says....... you might want to check ladder stability since you plan to use your RTT for family camping.

Many of the early folding tents and the new Chinese copies may have ladders that can slide unless staked down or you physically tie a diagonal from the ladder to your Jeep. This is a problem is if you are camping at a park where the Jeep (and tent) is on the hard, the base of the ladder can slide on the hard surface.

OK sounds trivial but it isn't, here is a true story. A fellow I know had an ancient RTT and was camping with his family. His wife put their baby in the tent, and when climbing up, the ladder slid, she lost her footing and in falling grabbed and pulled the blanket the baby was on. Fortunately the baby fell on mom and was caught.

Some of the new tents have a binder mechanism to limit the ladder's motion.

Gary Franks

Here’s a crazy alternative to your roof rack and RTT plans…

I also have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I have a Gobi roof rack with the optional insert for the front section and a ladder on the rear.

This last summer I considered purchasing a roof top tent but I didn’t want to spend the money until I knew that I would like sleeping in a RTT. I decided to try an experiment first…

It turns out that the Gobi rack is about the size of a double bed. I bought a “double” sized inflatable mattress and put that on top of the rack. I strapped it down so that it wouldn’t slide off. I bought a cheap, 2-man hiker’s tent that opens at the end (not on the side). I set up the tent on top of the air mattress and zip-tied the base of the poles to the edges of the roof rack. The two of us climbed up the Gobi ladder, put our sleeping bags inside the tent and we were good to go for under $50!

compactcamping

Explorer
Lemsteraak, good point on ladder safety, look between the rear rim and the ladder, I always use a ladder leash just to be sure.

iEBEB4D85-F601-4529-8A21-9B6882FE3A53.jpg

fingas

Observer
Lemsteraak, good point on ladder safety, look between the rear rim and the ladder, I always use a ladder leash just to be sure.

iEBEB4D85-F601-4529-8A21-9B6882FE3A53.jpg

I guess i am not getting it. How does the ladder slide away from the vehicle when you are standing on it? The ladder should be deployed at an angle away from the vehicle then if you stand on it the legs are pushed more firmly onto the ground.

Tim A

Adventurer
I guess i am not getting it. How does the ladder slide away from the vehicle when you are standing on it? The ladder should be deployed at an angle away from the vehicle then if you stand on it the legs are pushed more firmly onto the ground.

Seems to me the only chance it would have to slip would be when there is no weight on it. (when you're up in there sleeping!)

compactcamping

Explorer
Someone else maybe able to describe the physics of what is happening ... from experience, on hard pack surfaces my ladder has slip out before, so I always leash it now.

Gary Franks

I guess i am not getting it. How does the ladder slide away from the vehicle when you are standing on it?

As you climb the ladder and begin to move your weight forward and over the top of the ladder into the tent, there is a natural tendancy for your feet to push the rung of the ladder outward. This can cause the foot of the ladder to slip outward. You don't feel yourself doing this, but it happens.

How do I know this? I'm not a rocket scientist, just unbalanced :).

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I'm not sure of the physics either, but here is the progression with Zifer's tents (AutoHome) from their AirCamping tent until it was released as the OverLand.

02.jpg
Separate compression struts, ladder just had to act as a ladder

03.jpg
The struts were heavy so they beefed up the ladder and you would stake it down

04.jpg
Guy lines were added to the bottom of the tent

05.jpg
New binder mechanism, idiot proof so it could be released for family camping

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member