RTT Questions

Akecj7

Observer
I know that there are many many threads on RTT and awnings so let me tell you all a little about us. I have been reading around this forum for awhile and have posted on and off. My wife and are having our first kid (a boy) in the middle of January. We have a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited and we are going to be purchasing a rack hopfully in early spring. We have decided on the new BajaRack EXP for the JK. Now for the questions that we have. Since we are getting a roof rack we started talking about RTT. We know some of the benifits of the RTT, keeping all of the bedding in the tent so you dont have to pack it, off the ground ect, and since we bring our pooches with us every where and a kid coming this seems to be a great option. I have looked at many of the different brands (ARB, Camping Lab, Eezi-Awn, and Hannibal) and found features that I like and dislike. I like the price point of the Camping Lab tents, but we like the covered entry of the ARB, Eezi-Awn, and Hannibal tents. I have read most of the reviews of the these tents and know that Eezi-Awn are probobly some of the better tents but are way out of our price range. I have read in multiple places that Camping Labs were making some modifications to their tents but I have not been able to get a hold of anybody there to find out so for now they are out as well. So that brings me to the ARB or the Hannibal. Is the Hannible worth the extra 400 to 500 bucks? I like both of the annexes offered. I have not been able to find reviews on the Hannible tents. If anybody has any thoughts I would greatly appriciate it or if there are other RTT tents that I have not looked into. Since this is would be our first RTT I dont want to spend a ton (1400 to 1800 is more of what I was thinking). Thanks for the help.

bunduguy

Supporting Sponsor
I know that there are many many threads on RTT and awnings so let me tell you all a little about us. I have been reading around this forum for awhile and have posted on and off. My wife and are having our first kid (a boy) in the middle of January. We have a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited and we are going to be purchasing a rack hopfully in early spring. We have decided on the new BajaRack EXP for the JK. Now for the questions that we have. Since we are getting a roof rack we started talking about RTT. We know some of the benifits of the RTT, keeping all of the bedding in the tent so you dont have to pack it, off the ground ect, and since we bring our pooches with us every where and a kid coming this seems to be a great option. I have looked at many of the different brands (ARB, Camping Lab, Eezi-Awn, and Hannibal) and found features that I like and dislike. I like the price point of the Camping Lab tents, but we like the covered entry of the ARB, Eezi-Awn, and Hannibal tents. I have read most of the reviews of the these tents and know that Eezi-Awn are probobly some of the better tents but are way out of our price range. I have read in multiple places that Camping Labs were making some modifications to their tents but I have not been able to get a hold of anybody there to find out so for now they are out as well. So that brings me to the ARB or the Hannibal. Is the Hannible worth the extra 400 to 500 bucks? I like both of the annexes offered. I have not been able to find reviews on the Hannible tents. If anybody has any thoughts I would greatly appriciate it or if there are other RTT tents that I have not looked into. Since this is would be our first RTT I dont want to spend a ton (1400 to 1800 is more of what I was thinking). Thanks for the help.
PM'd ya!

Ash

Adventurer
Don't feel too bad about making a new thread. I have read through a lot of the RTT discussions and don't feel any closer to understanding what is my best option. In addition to the aspects of a RTT you know you need also consider:

- Ventilation in wet weather. Do the vents/windows have 'shades'
- Volume of bedding that can be accommodated in closed tent
- Will a damp/wet tent make your bedding damp when packed away
- Additions/awnings available. I never see these rated, or how long they take to erect.

Anyway, food for thought.

Ash

JamesDowning

Explorer
Isn't that the basis of a free market? There is no one best option? The best option varies between people based upon their budget and desired features.

The first ever OJ (Spring 07) had a decent roof top tent comparison article... but it probably needs to be updated with all of the companies that have cropped up between then and now. It's still a good resource... but didn't really come up with a definitive "best" for everyone.

STREGA

Explorer
I have a Ezi-Awn 1400 on a EXP Bajarack mounted on my FJ Cruiser. I don't know the size of the EXP rack for your JK is but on my FJ its only large enough to fit the 1400 (54" L) without overhanging the rack. I think the 1400 is OK for 2 people and a 20lb dog that like each other, but may not work very well for 2 adults and a child, the 1600 or similar size rtt would be the smallest I would go with IMO.

There is a wide range in rtt's available, with cost vs quality the main factor. I was bewildered by all the info on the various forums I'am on and still couldn't make up my mind on which one to go with, not being able to see and touch one in person didn't help either. Luckily I attended the 1st Overland Expo and was able to see most of the rtt's available at that time in person and thats why I purchased the Ezi-Awn.

This is how I would rank them:

Autohome Magalina-My favorite, Pros to them are the quality build, eazy/quick setup and takedown, being able to put away wet and not get bedding wet, aerodynamics, many models and sizes to choose from, the new airtop is way cool. The Cons are cost, especially compared to the China made rtt's, and they don't leave any room for other stuff on the rack, which I needed and was the main reason I didn't get one.

Ezi-Awn/other African made rtt's-A solid choice if you use your rtt more than a couple times a year IMO, Pro's being almost half the cost of a Autohome, well made with heavy canvas and leaves room on rack for the stuff I can't fit or don't want inside the FJ. So far has done well in rain and wind. Cons are longer setup time, can't leave all our bedding in it when in stored position, Still up there in the cost department.

Camping Labs/ARB/Mombasa etc.-My least favorite, a non-starter for me really. Pros the only one for me was the cost beside the ability to have some rack room for the other stuff I carry. Cons, I didn't care to much for the lighter nylon tent material at all and the made in China thing. Also at the Expo we had some fairly high winds and one of the China made tents didn't do so well in it, funny thing was that the other China made tent guys pointed that out when selling their tent to me, my thought was you basically have the same tent as the one that failed!

You might want to look around for a used one on the Forum/Ebay/Craigs list, a few months ago there were a bunch on the Portal, not to many right now though. If you can attend the Overland Expo in April that would help you out alot in your quest for the best rtt for your needs. Hope this helps.

Explorer
You might want to look around for a used one on the Forum/Ebay/Craigs list,

X2 I bought my 1600 TTOP used from Paul May at Equipt. He had taken excellent care of it and I don't regret the decision at all.

I would certainly consider the T-top design because of the enclosed standing room. I leave my lower room attached to the tent Fall and Winter and fold everything up with the bedding. (electric blanket, two down sleeping bags and a down comforter).

The quality, versatility and enclosed shelter make this tent hard to beat.

fingas

Observer
Camping Labs/ARB/Mombasa etc.-My least favorite, a non-starter for me really. Pros the only one for me was the cost beside the ability to have some rack room for the other stuff I carry. Cons, I didn't care to much for the lighter nylon tent material at all and the made in China thing. Also at the Expo we had some fairly high winds and one of the China made tents didn't do so well in it, funny thing was that the other China made tent guys pointed that out when selling their tent to me, my thought was you basically have the same tent as the one that failed!

So one tent failed and you admit that there were at least a few more of similar tents in attendance that didn't fail but that is an indication that the tents are poorly built? The group of people i camp/wheel with can't always afford the high priced options so i see alot of the chinese tents, their nylon is nothing like your typical ground tent with most of them being of a cotton/poly ripstop material that is much thicker and i have seen these tents perform well in week long driving rains and winds that are so strong it is unbearable to be out walking in them. This isn't coming from a group who camps once or twice a year but a group that tries to get out no less than once a month.

I have no doubt that the African models are of high quality but i have seen nothing from the current camping labs/mombasa offerings that shows they aren't of a high enough quality to suffice for the vast majority of people out there.

Last edited:

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
So one tent failed and you admit that there were at least a few more of similar tents in attendance that didn't fail but that is an indication that the tents are poorly built? The group of people i camp/wheel with can't always afford the high priced options so i see alot of the chinese tents, their nylon is nothing like your typical ground tent with most of them being of a cotton/poly ripstop material that is much thicker and i have seen these tents perform well in week long driving rains and winds that are so strong it is unbearable to be out walking in them. This isn't coming from a group who camps once or twice a year but a group that tries to get out no less than once a month.

I have no doubt that the African models are of high quality but i have seen nothing from the current camping labs/mombasa offerings that shows they aren't of a high enough quality to suffice for the vast majority of people out there.

Depends on how much use they see a year, remember that for your application something may be perfect but for someone who camps out 50+ days a year it might not be ideal. Conversely the guy that camps less than 5 times a year probably won't get great value for money with a higher priced tent

fingas

Observer
Depends on how much use they see a year, remember that for your application something may be perfect but for someone who camps out 50+ days a year it might not be ideal. Conversely the guy that camps less than 5 times a year probably won't get great value for money with a higher priced tent

the group of guys i camp with all have the mombasa/campinglabs chinese tents and most of those see no less than 30-40 days per year in conditions all over the country and other than a few minor gripes i haven't heard of any major complaints. One of the guys has close to 300 nights in his mombasa with his wife in the past three years extending from key west to Washington state. I am not saying that they will fit everyone's needs but the post I responded to seemed to throw them out of the running based on a single failure.

Akecj7

Observer
Thanks for the help. After talking with a couple vendors and talking with my wife we have are thinking about getting a tent that is a little less expensive, due to the fact that this is going to be our first RTT and to see how much we are going to use it and how much we like it. I do have another question. How much bedding are people being able to keep in the tent. Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
the group of guys i camp with all have the mombasa/campinglabs chinese tents and most of those see no less than 30-40 days per year in conditions all over the country and other than a few minor gripes i haven't heard of any major complaints. One of the guys has close to 300 nights in his mombasa with his wife in the past three years extending from key west to Washington state. I am not saying that they will fit everyone's needs but the post I responded to seemed to throw them out of the running based on a single failure.

I'm all in favor of campinglabs, the excellent service from fernando and the overall happiness that most customers have with the product.

I had an opportunity to test a competitor to the market, for me to get the tent at way below retail it would still have cost $50 more than fernando(since his shipping is so cheap). The materials in the aforementioned tent aren't as good as those used by campinglabs either.

-Sam

- Ventilation in wet weather. Do the vents/windows have 'shades'
- Volume of bedding that can be accommodated in closed tent
- Will a damp/wet tent make your bedding damp when packed away
- Additions/awnings available. I never see these rated, or how long they take to set up

I owned a Campinglab and I now have been living out of a South African MyWay for well over a year. I really enjoyed our Campinglab, the only reason we switched was to get a much larger tent with a smaller profile.

Ventilation and breathability in wet weather depends on windows and the material the tent is made of, so there is no way to generalize this. Find out which tents you are interested in find out what materials they come in and go from there. Windows in most RTT have a shade/mini awning so you can keep the windows open a little even in rainy weather. We use a 12 volt fan to circulate air in our RTT, I that the fan is almost essential in some areas.

When we fold our RTT we store our bedding in it (not the pillows). Bedding for us is a 45 degree bag in summer and a 10 degree bag in winter, we also store our solar panel inside the folded RTT for the time being. I am not sure if I could fit the panel in our old Campinglab.

A wet tent tends to be a pain, sometimes the bed may wind up damp (after a downpour in humid weather). I highly recommend one of the mats they sell for using under the mattress (sailboats use these to minimize condensation under the bed).

As far as awnings are concerned... Well they are not directly related to tents, but the Chinese Campinglab awnings we have deploy in about 3 minutes with 2 people working, alone it tends to be a hassle but it is doable.

I would not hesitate to buy another Campinglab/Mombassa tent. I would love to try out the carbon fiber Maggiolina though :sombrero:

greencruisercat

African outback RTT

It may be out dated but I was looking at the review in the Journal about the African Outback RTT and most of what was said to be positive about that model appears to still apply; ie outward projecting side walls, (makes the tent feel much larger), a sky openning roof hatch, and a tight fitting closing system. But I can't get hold of anyone who will sell me one. Inquires to the manufacturer are not answered. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

BigDaveZJ

Adventurer
How much bedding are people being able to keep in the tent.

We got the 71x94 Mombasa from TRDParts4U earlier this year and have been very happy with it. We keep the original mattress pad, an additional eggshell style mattress pad, 2 sleeping bags, and a couple blankets with no issues at all. We've tried keeping the pillows in there too, but that seemed to be a bit much when it was all folded up. But there was some additional room under the cover still, so we put the pillows in garbage bags to keep them clean, and put them under the cover.

You can see the bulge from the pillows in the front and back here:

40535_486820838367_585188367_6792948_6147067_n.jpg

womacje

Adventurer
I have a lot of experience with the Mombasa Tents, I have owned it for 3+ years now. And I am a dealer for Eezi-Awn and Mombasa.

The Mombasa tents are an "entry level" RTT. What makes them "entry level?"
Price, very affordable. I bought mine before I ever became a dealer, because they were very affordable and I couldn't justify the higher costs at the time. After using both products, I can justify the higher costs and will get an Eezi-Awn next, after I save up for it.
Material quality, as many have already stated some of the differences. Chinese made RTT's, ARB, CampingLab, Mombasa use an aluminum floor with a honeycomb structure inside, very neat material, very stiff, dent-able and much less expensive than Eezi-Awn's marine grade plywood floor. Fabric is less expensive on the Mombasa as well, I wouldn't call it cheap, I have used mine in 40+mph winds and heavy rains and the thing is great. The Eezi-Awn Fabric is nicer. Foam, the density of the foam between the two is noticeable. Foam isn't too cheap either, especially when it comes to density(actually IFD=Incident Force Deflection to be a nerd and use industry correct terms)
Construction quality, the difference between pride craftsmanship between the countries of origin. Please don't take that as a slander, I have traveled to more factories overseas than I can remember, it is a different mindset of these employees/managers/quality control personnel. The Eezi-Awn product specs out a high quality construction and is made in an owned factory as opposed to an outsourced factory.

I could go on, long story short. If you want to try it out, the Mombasa/Campinglab/ARB RTT's are made in the same factory, to the best of my knowledge. And are a good product, not best in RTT class, none the less a solid product with plenty of testimonials supporting their longevity and strength on this forum and others.

I hope this helps, good luck with your shopping.

I carry two down pillows, a down comforter, queen sheet set inside the tent folded with the cover on. I make sure to fold the comforter and arrange the pillows before folding the tent and I have just enough room to close the tent and get the cover on.

Jeremy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior