fuso 4x4 rebuild

alan

Explorer
no sand work but a lot of mud work!
I'll be making all new brake lines and resleeving all hydraulic brake and clutch cylinders in stainless steel for long life.

no day of rest for projects!

Lynn

Expedition Leader
...rust free mechanically sound vehicle...

Dude, I would have been so pissed off I would have burnt it to the ground (followed by the house of the guy that sold it to me). Just kidding. Sort of.

I admire your patience, and talent.

And I know from what you've already displayed that the end product is going to be far superior to the OEM.

I could learn a lot from you, and plan to as I follow this thread.

JOnesbilt24

Im curious to know what kind of work or abuse this unit suffered during its life time. The Frame looks strong as heck but it looks like it was grossly overloaded and used of road for long periods of time.. I have to hand it to you your handy work is very impressive. Best of luck

alan

Explorer
As far as I know it was a maintenance vehicle for an earthmoving company, and yes it looks as though it has been grossly overloaded for most of it's life, which has taken it's toll.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
I hope, for your sake, that the engine is in better nick than the chassis.
Did you get to test it before you started to dismantle the truck?

alan

Explorer
The motor actually ran ok, but I will be rebuilding it along with gearbox diff's etc, I don't have much luck with things like that, if I don't make sure it is perfect it will play up.

drew4130

what a build:Wow1:...this is going to be a good build to watch! I did see this out the front of your shop with simexs on it last year I think?!

alan

Explorer
New back crossmember is nearly done, the original was rusted out.
DSCF6549.jpg

DSCF6550.jpg

Amesz00

Adventurer
wow. thats some bloody nice work there mate, and a big project if ever i saw one. out of curiosity, if i was going to this amount of work the end product would want a lot more than standard canter suspension/power output- are you planning on using stock running gear and suspension, or upgraded bits?

alan

Explorer
Hi, the suspension certainly won't stock, i have decided to keep the back lead springs std as it's going to be a outback traveller not a mt everest vehicle, but with twin rear shocks mounted outboard and coil springs on the front with twin shocks as the front is the most critical for a comfort ride along with the air suspension seats.
The engine is the 4D33 with a aftermarket turbo this will be all rebuilt with as many engine mods as I can think of for more power and reliability, balancing, porting, intercooler etc.

alan

Explorer
Went to reuse the other section of rear trans mount which bolts to back of transfercase, only to find it had broken at some stage and been welded up, this meant another weak spot, so made a new one from 6mm plate instead fo original 4mm.
DSCF6559.jpg

DSCF6558.jpg

DSCF6561.jpg

DSCF6560.jpg

alan

Explorer
Hi I have a mini brake press from VAN SANT tools it will fold 250mm wide by 8mm thick, I'll take a pic tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier