Top Ten Vehicle Modifications for Overland Travel

rezdiver

Adventurer
now we are talking Peter. there should be a separate section on this forum for these beauties, i know i have a few pictures i could add.

Perhaps the nut behind the wheel is a good place to start the modifications? :bike_rider: :smiley_drive:

Seriously, the development of skills, knowledge and experience can overcome many weaknesses in the vehicle itself and will take you to places with a great deal more pleasure and a lot less drama.
Sometimes it is simply necessary to use what ever vehicle you have, and make the most of it. Not having the perfect rig for the job should not compromise the opportunities to get out there.
Preparation is still the key.

1967MiniCooberPedy.jpg

1967Darwin5014.jpg

Our honeymoon, 1967.
4WD? What is that?

Cheers,
Peter

Touring4x4

Adventurer
Good write up Scott.

With regard to the vehicle selection article, interesting that LR Defenders, Nissan Patrols (oops my bias is showing :) ) and especially the Hummer H1 are all missing a mention.

Im particularly interested in why the H1 is left out? Overly complicated, prone to breakdown, too damn wide??? I thought it would have potential as a long distance tourer but know little about them.

corax

Explorer
Im particularly interested in why the H1 is left out? Overly complicated, prone to breakdown, too damn wide??? I thought it would have potential as a long distance tourer but know little about them.

Bad juju and certain assumptions that might be made by the authorities at border crossings? It screams "I have money, come take some" and looks a bit too military to be inconspicuous

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Bad juju and certain assumptions that might be made by the authorities at border crossings? It screams "I have money, come take some" and looks a bit too military to be inconspicuous

Well, if the article Scott linked on the Toyota Hi-lux being the choice of terrorists is any indication, we should be avoiding those too. Do agree that a Humvee screams U.S. military, which you don't want in any case . . .

David

Scott Brady

Founder
Good write up Scott.

With regard to the vehicle selection article, interesting that LR Defenders, Nissan Patrols (oops my bias is showing :) ) and especially the Hummer H1 are all missing a mention.

Thank you Andrew.

The Defender is mentioned in the article, which was intended for North American Specification vehicles. I should do one for the global market as well.

No doubt the Nissan Patrol is a best of breed. Just did a nice trip with one in South Africa.

Regarding HUMMER. I do not consider any of their products appropriate for serious exploration.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Thank you Andrew.

The Defender is mentioned in the article, which was intended for North American Specification vehicles. I should do one for the global market as well.

No doubt the Nissan Patrol is a best of breed. Just did a nice trip with one in South Africa.

Regarding HUMMER. I do not consider any of their products appropriate for serious exploration.

Let's just make everything global . . . Expo is a global site if anything is . . . (Build it and they will come . . . ) :)

David

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Well, if the article Scott linked on the Toyota Hi-lux being the choice of terrorists is any indication, we should be avoiding those too. Do agree that a Humvee screams U.S. military, which you don't want in any case . . .

David

Then again, this is probably the last thing that many drivers of Hi-lux's see . . .

Attachments

• Hmmwv-036.jpg
    Hmmwv-036.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

chasespeed

Explorer
Perhaps this has been done and I've missed it, but I'd be interested to see an article covering the top ten skills for an overlander. I'm guessing driving skills, extraction skills, mechanic skills for vehicle and equipment, first aid skills, local language, ability to enjoy less than optimal conditions, packing skills, rustic cooking skills, campfire yarn telling skills :) , etc....

Regards,

I would also like to see something to add in with the First Aid... survival skills... I am not talking walking into the woods with nothing but boots, and living for a year...

Just, basic survival stuff, major break in a rig, and long period of bad weather is coming, etc.... You know... preparedness for worse case scenario......

alexrex20

Explorer
Than why are you driving an Xterra? ;)

There are so many cheap and available H2s on the market.

Ummm... I'm not driving an Xterra. It's a Pathfinder.

And maybe you didn't get the memo - what with being caught up in your own little world - but there are more Hummers than just the H2. :rolleyes:

Here's my newest rig. Everyone has different needs.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
....And maybe you didn't get the memo - what with being caught up in your own little world - but there are more Hummers than just the H2. :rolleyes:

Yes, there's the H1 which is a military vehicle and depends on vast amounts of motor pool support and the H3 with all the attributes of the GMC Canyon, less the appropriate visibility.

....and I'm a pro GM guy!

I think the first thing on the list of top 10's should be.....drum roll.....comfortable seats! That's where you're doing most of the thinking right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier