Top Ten Vehicle Modifications for Overland Travel

Scott Brady

Founder
Just one man's opinion (mine), but a fun topic to discuss. . .

VEHICLE PREPARATIONS FOR OVERLAND TRAVEL

The 10 Rules of 4wd Modifications
Less is in fact, more.

By Scott Brady

As a continuation of our vehicle selection article the community of Expedition Portal examines the critical requirements of vehicle modifications for long-distance exploration.

While it is certainly likely that a Toyota Celica with balding tires has been pushed, pulled and repaired by its occupants on nearly every major transcontinental route, there are some basic systems that should be considered for a reliable, self-supported journey.* The details will be covered later in the article, but there are two essential principles.

I. Purchase the correct vehicle for the job: This applies on both ends of the spectrum, as a Unicat MAN truck would seem just as silly a choice for a trip through England as a Cadillac would be for an expedition across the Simpson Desert. This point cannot be overstated.* Buy a vehicle with reserve capacity and capability for the intended route and conceivable challenges.* If your goal is to travel solo through small colonial towns in Central Mexico, than a large camper is just not appropriate.* If your goal is to cross the Sahara mostly off-piste, then a HiLux is a better choice than a Subaru. Avoid the desire for novelty if your intention is to actually cross borders. Why do terrorist like the hilux?

2010_Tacoma.jpg

The Toyota Tacoma - An example of the "right" truck to start an expedition vehicle project with.

II. Simplicity is Key: Determine the core requirements of performance, comfort and integrated systems before turning the first bolt. Simplicity is the solution for reliability and enjoyment of the adventure.* The more complex the vehicle, the more a distraction it becomes in your travels. The more complex the modifications, the greater affect they will have on the base vehicle's reliability. Keep it simple and spend more time enjoying the scenery.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." -- *Leonardo da Vinci

attachment.php

Complete editorial continues HERE

Last edited by a moderator:

Scott Brady

Founder
Note: This intro article is to help get the discussion going and get some additional thoughts and detail. We are going to explore each of the Top 10 in more detail in future articles along with other recommended modifications.

Here is a summary (more details are in the article)

The 10 Rules of Vehicle Modifications for Overland Travel:

1. Suspension: Match the valving and rate to the load while not exceeding GVWR. Limit “lift” to +60mm.

2. Tires and Tire Pressure/Repair: Match the tread to conditions and limit increase in tire diameter to +60mm. Install a high-volume, 100% duty-cycle compressor.

3. Vehicle recovery points and Self-recovery: Install frame mounted recovery points front and rear and have several means of self-recovery.

4. Loading and Lashing: Support equipment must be efficiently organized and properly secured.

5. Vehicle-installed Communications: When traveling in convoy, or as a means of long-distance communications, install a HAM radio.

6. Traction: When conditions dictate, install or option driver-selectable locking differentials.

7. Electrical Systems: Isolate the house and vehicle electrical systems and install a dual-battery system or secondary means of charging.

8. Safety and Security: Employ active and passive security practices and install a fire extinguisher and first aid kit as part of the permanent vehicle kit.

9. Lighting: Install durable and efficient auxiliary lighting for forward/reverse fill and house systems.

10. Impact / Animal Strike Protection and Skid Plates: Protect the vital components of the vehicle from the unexpected.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I like the article Scott, also like your example of the current Tacoma or JK as good, smaller vehicle choices. I think it's hard to beat the availability of factory traction as it means less invasive and expensive aftermarket modifications.

Though I have never owned one, I often think that a current generation Taco with its excellent 4.0L V6 & 5-speed A/T, a factory locker, traction control, with little or zero lift, 'only' 265/75R16 tires (able to use the stock spare location & factory gearing), front/rear bumpers, skids-possibly lightweight aluminum pieces, would be a terrific overland traveler. If one was going to load it heavy, then a larger Tundra might be more appropriate, but the truly 'mid-sized' dimensions of the current Tacoma look like a winner to me running down the road.

Harald Hansen

Explorer
Good article! I'm looking forward to the future articles in the series.

One point which is overlooked is heat management. I'd rate it higher than modifications to the electrical system. Especially modified vehicles seem to have all sort of overheating issues.

So, my suggested modification to your list: Move electrical to point 11 and substitute something like this:

7. Heat management: Make sure you have the correct thermostat for your destination, especially if going from a cold climate to a warmer one. Check out the conditions of your radiator, fans and belts and hoses. Replace any of these components that looks the least bit suspicious. Consider bringing spares. Change your coolant before departure. Check that the mixture can handle the lowest temperatures you are likely to experience on the trip. Consider getting a vehicle with the "towing package" or equivalent, as a heavily loaded vehicle will also put a bigger "heat load" on the transmission.

RedDog

Explorer
Scott's list basically sums it up. In my case I might have put tires before suspension since the first issues I faced with a stock TJ were the Goodyear Wrangler GS/R (mini van) tires and not the stock suspension which in of itself was not the limiter for my use of the vehicle. The subsequent suspension changes came about really only to accommodate more appropriate tires.

That said (and every individual or specific vehicle and it's use may be differ), that comprehensive list is pretty spot on IMO.

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Certainly valid points Mr. Hansen, and I would observe that the engine cooling systems are routinely ignored by many, even those that perform most maintenance regularly.

However I think 'heat management' has much to do with the age, original design, and capacity of the platform. I think most modern/newer vehicles have much better cooling systems and capacities, many with long-life engine coolant that rarely need servicing.

I have not had a heat management problem on any of my modern trucks/utilities that I have purchased new since the early 1990s. Of course all but the one Jeep had towing packages and were set-up for work and hard use.

One point which is overlooked is heat management. I'd rate it higher than modifications to the electrical system. Especially modified vehicles seem to have all sort of overheating issues.

So, my suggested modification to your list: Move electrical to point 11 and substitute something like this:

7. Heat management: Make sure you have the correct thermostat for your destination, especially if going from a cold climate to a warmer one. Check out the conditions of your radiator, fans and belts and hoses. Replace any of these components that looks the least bit suspicious. Consider bringing spares. Change your coolant before departure. Check that the mixture can handle the lowest temperatures you are likely to experience on the trip. Consider getting a vehicle with the "towing package" or equivalent, as a heavily loaded vehicle will also put a bigger "heat load" on the transmission.

Scott Brady

Founder

One point which is overlooked is heat management.

Thanks for the feedback Harald.

My thought on heat management is to emphasis purchasing the correct vehicle. A good truck like a Tacoma, Jeep Unlimited Rubicon or G-Wagen will all have robust cooling systems from the factory. Toyotas nearly always run cool, unless you are flogging a 70 series diesel through the dunes 12 hours a day. Most modern vehicles do a good job of running cool.

Toyotero

Explorer
You forgot an obligatory snorkel and 12 forward facing lights.

j/k. :p Ditto, great article.

One thing I didn't see but could be included in recovery points are jacking points for a hi-lift since so few vehicles come with suitable equip from the factory.

Perhaps this has been done and I've missed it, but I'd be interested to see an article covering the top ten skills for an overlander. I'm guessing driving skills, extraction skills, mechanic skills for vehicle and equipment, first aid skills, local language, ability to enjoy less than optimal conditions, packing skills, rustic cooking skills, campfire yarn telling skills :) , etc....

Regards,

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Skills and experience.

Perhaps the nut behind the wheel is a good place to start the modifications? :bike_rider: :smiley_drive:

Seriously, the development of skills, knowledge and experience can overcome many weaknesses in the vehicle itself and will take you to places with a great deal more pleasure and a lot less drama.
Sometimes it is simply necessary to use what ever vehicle you have, and make the most of it. Not having the perfect rig for the job should not compromise the opportunities to get out there.
Preparation is still the key.

1967MiniCooberPedy.jpg

1967Darwin5014.jpg

Our honeymoon, 1967.
4WD? What is that?

Cheers,
Peter

targa88

Explorer
I like the article Scott, also like your example of the current Tacoma or JK as good, smaller vehicle choices. I think it's hard to beat the availability of factory traction as it means less invasive and expensive aftermarket modifications.

Though I have never owned one, I often think that a current generation Taco with its excellent 4.0L V6 & 5-speed A/T, a factory locker, traction control, with little or zero lift, 'only' 265/75R16 tires (able to use the stock spare location & factory gearing), front/rear bumpers, skids-possibly lightweight aluminum pieces, would be a terrific overland traveler...

I absolutely agree.
Very satisfied with my build. Reliability was the main motivation - Toyota 4.0L V6, some "improvements" without having to compensate too much for new geometry and dynamics
Simple is often better.

FJCWedgeOutllook.jpg

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
2. Tires and Tire Pressure/Repair: Match the tread to conditions and limit increase in tire diameter to +60mm. Install a high-volume, 100% duty-cycle compressor.
If possible also match the tires to where you're expecting to travel. If the size you've chosen is nearly impossible to find where you will be, re-think your choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94