Top Ten Vehicle Modifications for Overland Travel

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Overland trucks, etc.

How about getting the best you can afford in a truck, or such, don't over or under do it just think, plan, budget, equip, etc., etc. then go, you shall not regret it, after all we overland for adventure and therefore unpredictable at best. This has worked for me for my little/big trips for the last 40 yrs. stay safe, mjmcdowell :)

zags

One point which is overlooked is heat management. I'd rate it higher than modifications to the electrical system. Especially modified vehicles seem to have all sort of overheating issues.

So, my suggested modification to your list: Move electrical to point 11 and substitute something like this:

7. Heat management: Make sure you have the correct thermostat for your destination, especially if going from a cold climate to a warmer one.

Actually, the thermostat controls the minimum operating temperature of the engine and has nothing to do with how hot it gets. (unless it malfunctions) The thermostat stops coolant flow to the radiator until it reaches the temperature specified to allow the engine to warm up quickly. In electronically fuel injected vehicles a specific minimum coolant temperature is required for the engine to operate properly. Always use a thermostat with the factory recommended opening temp.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz