Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Nice rig...congrats...I am always amazed that so few Folks here are yet to discover the comfort and convenience of TC's.

I see some pretty elaborate RTT's/tent farms/etc...it would take me an entire weekend just to set up all that nylon!

With a TC...just drive in...open the door...grab a cold one...

I know you can't always get a TC into some of the most remote spots...but looking at the pics on this forum...75% of Folks here would be well served...and more comfortablw with a TC...FWC or any flavor really.

You will love the D/A...a real sweat, economic powerplant. The alli tranny is just unreal...

Bill

I'm a huge fan of TC's, this is my other truck and TC.

Too big for most places, so this one will be "smaller." Although not by much.:victory: I just couldn't justify a 2005+ Tacoma, with it only being slightly smaller, roughly the same price, in need of more power (I took one home overnight) and at the limit of it's GVWR. Everything is a comprimise. I agree on the Allison, when I bought my Ford, it had to have the ZF6 (manual) because I didn't trust the autos of the time. My wife is a manual lover and even she likes the Alli.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Now that's a good truck! Long live the 7.3...

Only has 91k on it, so yeah it should last a good while longer. It has been a great truck. We have driven it with the TC from the Tip of Baja to Prudoe Bay Alaska and almost every state west of the Mississippi, over 50k.

Jack

Off Duty

Adventurer
Bummer Man... You went from a reliable piece of machinery to a GM product (the athisis of the previous statement) I just can't fathom what on earth would make you swap an LC for a POJ GM truck??? I'm guessing it has something to do with work and a freee vheicle otherwise... WHOOPS. Could have at LEAST gotten a Dodge (aka a decent domestic truck LEAPS and bounds above anything with a Bow tie on it)

First mod: Checking for all the TSB's (gonna be ALOT of them I'm guessing) on the truck and getting those fixed... Then you can actually DRIVE it.

Is it too late for you to get the Cruiser back??? I'm getting sick for you just looking at the pics/post... God how I hate GM products. I'm SO SORRY for your loss.

Cheers

DAve

So...I take it you had a problem with a GM at some point??:D

Dude, Dave, why do you have to come into people's threads and crap all over them? There's lots of GM rigs that are serving and will continue to serve their owners needs for a long time.

You did the same thing when I mentioned my Jeep has been a great rig for two years for me, and communicated that to Phil in his thread.

I know you like your 4runner and toyota's in general, but jeez man, give it a rest.

you said it much nicer than i would have.

I was thinking that. Glad you guys handled it:coffeedrink:

As for the OP, nice truck man! Should bring you a lot of joy.

As for model loyalty :bowdown:, I left that behind when I was about, oh, 19 or so :xxrotflma

Back in the day, it was about Ford, Chevy, Mopar, etc....but we were kids and didn't know any better.
At one time or anther, I've had one of most of the domestics (didn't own an AMC, but friends and one grandparent did:)) and several of the imports.
As for 4-wheelers and off expo types, I've had I've had FJ40's, an 85 Forerunner, and an 83 toyota 4x4-std cab pick up.
We currently have an 89 FJ62 Landcruiser, for off road.

Our family also has (in the driveway:rolleyes:):
A 08 Scion Xd (Toyota product), Volvo S80, Kia (something or another-Daughters car), Nissan Frontier (son's truck), and an 87 Grand National!

I'm now in the market for either a Suburban or a Yukon XL, most likely the 94/5 through 2007.

Also owned some Camaros, a Corvette, Super Bees (MOPAR), 60's model Chevy Nova, Fords,...I can't remember all of them now.

The Landcruiser has some rust issues (common to the brand), and the engine has been a major PITA since day one.
Although many of them run 100's of thousands of miles essentially trouble free, this one didn't.
It sucks on fuel economy (9mpg on a good day), and and is slower than sin on the road.
It's due for a heart transplant as soon as I find the Burb or Yukon I want!:coffee:

That said, I love the truck for the classic it is, and don't have any intention on trading or selling it (unless there's someone out there with more $$$ than sense, then please step forward:D)
And I can't wait to find the right GM and start modding. Never had an IFS equipped rig before and I'm looking forward to it's challenges.

The point is, everything I've ever driven has had it's strong and weak points.

My 'Yota will probably take me to the end of the earth and back.
From all I've read and heard, an IFS isn't likely to cut it for long in the really rough stuff.

Then again, my Yota will jar your fillings out on the interstate, and at the end of the day, although you'll be there, you'll be too tired to care:coffee:

As for reliability and longevity, I've had Toyotas that were almost trouble free, and others that I counldn't wait to get rid of!
Same with GM, Ford, MOPAR....

So while I understand brand loyalty (for whatever reason), let's all learn to get along, respect each other, thier feelings, thier beliefs, thier likes and dislikes and since we're on an auto board, be respectful of each others vehicle choices.

Like my momma always said.
If you can't say something nice, just ********!! (Ok, momma was a bit rough around the egdes:))

shortbusadventure

Adventurer
Bummer Man... You went from a reliable piece of machinery to a GM product (the athisis of the previous statement) I just can't fathom what on earth would make you swap an LC for a POJ GM truck??? I'm guessing it has something to do with work and a freee vheicle otherwise... WHOOPS. Could have at LEAST gotten a Dodge (aka a decent domestic truck LEAPS and bounds above anything with a Bow tie on it)

First mod: Checking for all the TSB's (gonna be ALOT of them I'm guessing) on the truck and getting those fixed... Then you can actually DRIVE it.

Is it too late for you to get the Cruiser back??? I'm getting sick for you just looking at the pics/post... God how I hate GM products. I'm SO SORRY for your loss.

Cheers

DAve

Hey Dave,

I'm a GM, Toyota, and all vehicles fan. They all have their place.
Now you, a Ginger, with no soul, have your place as well ;-)

Mr Nice Guy

at op, congrats on the new truck.. thats my dream truck i love the allison/dmax combo hands down best set up and would even choose that over a cummins id go slightly bigger then 285s tho :wings: always wanted a truck on 38s or 40s lol thered be nothin tht could stop it

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
Hey J- looks good. Like I've said before, I think your on the right track. Hopefully I'll be on the same track when we find the right one.

With your build history, I'm sure this one will turn out nice. No matter what D.B. Posters say.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Hey J- looks good. Like I've said before, I think your on the right track. Hopefully I'll be on the same track when we find the right one.

With your build history, I'm sure this one will turn out nice. No matter what D.B. Posters say.

I hope so.

Thanks, can't wait until you pull the trigger on your next one. Is the Troopy going or staying?

Jack

rotti

Adventurer
Great move.

I've had several GM trucks and have had great luck with all of them and yes I love the IFS. Great ride and no issues.

I'm following the same path as you with the FWC camper. I was all set to order a new GMC 2500/3500 when I ran across this: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/12/first-look-gmc-sierra-all-terrain-hd-concept.html.

I don't think I want to wait for if or when they build it but that is exactly what I want (minus the mini bed and storage).

Last edited:

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great move.

I've had several GM trucks and have had great luck with all of them and yes I love the IFS. Great ride and no issues.

I'm following the same path as you with the FWC camper. I was all set to order a new GMC 2500/3500 when I ran across this: http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/12/first-look-gmc-sierra-all-terrain-hd-concept.html.

I don't think I want to wait for if or when they build it but that is exactly what I want.

That all-terrain is sweet and it's great to see GM finally getting in on the action. Hopefully it is all it's meant to be.

Thanks, so far I am loving it. My 80 was an awesome rig, it just was time to move on. Besides, I'm really liking the power over my 80.:wings:

I will keep my eye out for a used FWC of course, but All Terrain Campers released a new model recently that has my attention. They don't have it on their website (not sure why), but they call it the Ocelot and it fits full-size, shortbed trucks and the only difference, it that its narrower than the other models which is nice for sticking it into the rougher spots I find myself.

Jack

rotti

Adventurer
Yah not on the ATC site, but some info and pics here:
http://www.jayaronowcampersales.com/

I've been looking at the Ocelet also. Prices seem to be a little lower than the FWC also. Good to have choices (although some people seem to think we should all be driving - never mind).

poriggity

Explorer
Nice truck.. I have a fullsize Dodge, and I am thinking about going the exact opposite direction as you.. from my Dodge to an 80 LOL!
Scott

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Well, there has been a major change in the overlanding rig. I went from this:

To this:

The build will be slow and a lot more mellow than the 80. Most likely, H2's, 285's, and then...

The eventual plan is for a FWC.

Jack
Bummer....my condolences! Sniff....what happened?:(

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Nice truck.. I have a fullsize Dodge, and I am thinking about going the exact opposite direction as you.. from my Dodge to an 80 LOL!
Scott

80's are great rigs, comfortable, excellent offroaders, etc. Just be ready to spend a lot of money "fixing" it. Unless you find one that the PO did all of the maintenance/PM, you will be working on it...a lot. I had a LX450 before my LC, had to do a bunch of PM on that one, including the headgasket. My LX had 103k when the HG went. The LC just required a lot of love when I bought it with 150k on it. I knew it going in, but sometimes spending that kind of money gets old. Just warning you, not saying it as a bad thing, just approach buying an 80 with eyes wide open.

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Bummer....my condolences! Sniff....what happened?:(

See above.

Also, getting tired of sleeping on the ground and RTT's suck. Tried that too. Not that I won't be sleeping on the ground for a while longer with this one, I don't have camper yet. Couldn't make the 80 into what I wanted to without a lot of money. And no one in the US really does any of that cool camper coversion type stuff to LC's like in Europe. So that leaves using a different platform, one that is already a pickup, diesel, comfortable and has the capacity to handle anything I do to it. Not to mention, just driving it around town, I am getting a couple of more MPG, then the best I ever saw on the 80 on the highway either stock or built. The 80 was averaging 10 mpg, the Chevy is averaging 16 mpg, so far with the wife driving to and from work. Haven't had a chance to do a highway trip yet.

LC's are way beyond their GVWR when doing camper conversions, but comparing the two GVWR's isn't even close, one is made to haul a load, the other isn't.

Believe me, if my Ford/Camper would fit where I took my 80, I would never have driven the 80. We much prefer that mode of travel, if we can drive the truck/TC, we do, even over flying/hoteling. Looked at doing a 2005+ Tacoma, but they aren't that much smaller than a GM truck and again, very limited GVWR when really loaded, only adequate power (when empty, much less loaded). Smart money was the Chevy.

Jack

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles