Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I remember a comparison of Ford's and Dodges of that time period in an offroad mag.
The trucks were driven down an identical wash with off camber twist o flex conditions. The Dodge was fairly unaffected while the Ford's hood wouldn't open as well as the driver's door.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Great looking truck and build Jack! I appreciate the focus on improving the truck's reliability and capability without the extra "flashy" stuff that some get caught up in. I am wrestling with form over function on my own build ('11 Sierra 1500) and was hoping you could give me some feedback.

I am trying to decide between going with your favorite tire size 285/75R17 and going to a 35/12.50R17. Specifically there are three contenders for my next set of tires: Toyo ATII in 285/75, Cooper S/T Maxx in 285/75, or BFG KO2 in 35/12.50.

Now that you've had the Coopers for a while how do you like them on and off road in varied conditions? Also if you don't mind, can you tell me how tall they are mounted on the truck? Thanks for any feedback you're willing to share.

Also, any new adventures since your last post?

-Kyle

Thank you. I like them. I did a trip down through Death Valley (Saline in through North Pass and out through South Pass), then down to San Diego and back with the hardside camper loaded and the tires held up great. They are chip, cut, tear free after the trip.

I haven't updated it in a long time, but here is the new to me camper up in Kennedy Meadows:
IMG_1564-L.jpg

[video]https://photos.smugmug.com/Vacation/Vacation/i-knLWhrm/0/1920/IMG_1563-1920.mp4[/video]
Video is from Saline Valley coming back down from one of the mines.
On a 1500, it would be a hard decision. I like the 285's because they are the largest tire on a 17" rim that are an E1 (80 psi) load rated tire that I can find. On your truck, you can't possibly overload any of the tires and they are all rated at 3195lbs at either 65psi (E2) or 80 psi (E1). On the truck, at 80psi with the camper loaded, they measure 33" tall from the ground to the top of the tire. Parallel to the ground, across the tire, they measure 34" tall.
Heading to Overland Expo in a few weeks and of course I will be taking the long, dirty, interesting way there.

Jack,
While I'm not a GM man, and am only interested in components, not 'the look', I do appreciate a good build. We live off Hwy. 20 east of Nevada City, about 60 miles due west of you. I sense a parallel pattern here with the choice of rigs over time, only I'm about 30 years older than you appear to be. Of the 14, 4WD's we've owned a few were:
1970 FJ-55/GM307/Hone O.D./Warn 8274/Power Loc/53 gallon gas tank/ConFer Toyota Jeep Trailer: Baja proven over and over again.

1982 Jeep Scrambler. Only the rear tub and part of the frame were original:NP435, 4.4L, I-6, ARB;s/4.88's, 37's, 4:1's, Dana 44/chromoly, Dana 60/Mosiers, welder, etc.

We finally settled on a hard side truck camper for 'touring', off-road, and long term travel, now that we can: incidentally coming down the other way at Mengel Pass. It looks a lot different than your trip over this same piece of real estate.

I like the way you have your choice of domiciles. Either for rough country or traveling. I was impressed by the almost complete lack of frame flex in the short vid you posted. My bro's '99 Ford F250 has a LOT if frame flex. Have you concerned yourself with a pivoting sub frame for between the truck frame and the camper? If you are going to go to a flatbed, it sounds like a good time to make that work.
Again, thanks for the ride: all 48 pages of it.
jefe

Thank you and yes we have gone through a lot of vehicles over the years as well.

I don't see a need to do any kind of flex system for the truck as there doesn't seem to be a need.

I remember a comparison of Ford's and Dodges of that time period in an offroad mag.
The trucks were driven down an identical wash with off camber twist o flex conditions. The Dodge was fairly unaffected while the Ford's hood wouldn't open as well as the driver's door.

Exactly,

Jack

Last edited:

TCICapn

Thanks for the feedback! Good point on the tire rating. Essentially I just want the E rated tire for the added toughness as I have yet to get close to the max tow/payload rating on this truck.

My main reasons for considering the 285/75s is ease of clearing the tires on the truck, less bulge on my stock 17x7.5" wheels, and maybe a little better economy (they should be ~1-1.5" narrower than the 35/12.50s). Any thoughts on the difference between an 11.5" wide tire vs. a 12.5" wide in terms of handling, stress on steering/suspension components, wind resistance? I could definitely be splitting hairs here, I have a tendency to over-analyze...

Cool little vid, you certainly don't seem to have any qualms taking that big rig through the tight and twisty stuff!

I also saw on another thread that you are getting parts together for your SAS. Can we look forward to you adding that build onto this thread?

freelheeler

Thanks for updating. A couple of questions... how's the stage 4 front end holding up? And Do u think u could clear 35"s with ur existing setup.

I've got about 35k on my tires same as yours and pretty happy with ther durability. looking for a little more clearance without jacking it too high.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the feedback! Good point on the tire rating. Essentially I just want the E rated tire for the added toughness as I have yet to get close to the max tow/payload rating on this truck.

My main reasons for considering the 285/75s is ease of clearing the tires on the truck, less bulge on my stock 17x7.5" wheels, and maybe a little better economy (they should be ~1-1.5" narrower than the 35/12.50s). Any thoughts on the difference between an 11.5" wide tire vs. a 12.5" wide in terms of handling, stress on steering/suspension components, wind resistance? I could definitely be splitting hairs here, I have a tendency to over-analyze...

Cool little vid, you certainly don't seem to have any qualms taking that big rig through the tight and twisty stuff!

I also saw on another thread that you are getting parts together for your SAS. Can we look forward to you adding that build onto this thread?

I like the 285's for the same reasons you are looking at them. Wide enough for my purposes without being too much. It makes sense that they should get a little better mpg than the wider tire, but I've not run a 12.50 on this truck or switched between the two sizes to know for sure.
Thank you on the video. This camper is pretty light, so the truck handles it well. My former Lance/f350 combo was a total pig offroad. It was not comfortable or confidence inspiring at all.
Yes, but not for a while. I am still gathering the parts and have to have surgery on my shoulder, so that will put me out for heavy lifting for a while.

Thanks for updating. A couple of questions... how's the stage 4 front end holding up? And Do u think u could clear 35"s with ur existing setup.

I've got about 35k on my tires same as yours and pretty happy with ther durability. looking for a little more clearance without jacking it too high.

The front end has held up great actually. I know that it will clear 315's on the Hummer rims as I had them on there when I first bolted up the rims (old tires) after cutting the fenders. 35's would be a little tighter, but Bushwacker claims that 35's will fit with the cutout flares (rim size/offset dependent).
I'm glad to hear about the mileage, mine are holding up great so far and don't seem to show any wear. I would be thrilled with 35k. I do think the Coopers cost me at least 1 maybe 2 mpg empty. Of course I've had the programmer turned down to the 40 hp program versus the 90 hp setting. The 90 does give a better mpg, but I don't like to run it with the big windsail of the hardside camper.
Jack

1stDeuce

Explorer
Been a while since I checked in on you, and it appears you're just motoring on, which is how it should work. :)
My truck is on 255/80R17 Maxx's now, and I couldn't be happier. Actually, I first put 255/85R16 Maxx's on my Jeep, and liked them so much that when the truck needed new shoes last fall, I went with Maxx's on the truck too. :)

I'm experimenting with heavy airsoft BB's as balance media... I either have too much (~6oz/tire, per Equal chart) or too little, because I have a bounce on one tire at about 64mph. No worse than the previous tires that were traditionally balanced, but I'll probably add another ounce of BB's the next time I rotate them and see if it helps.

I'm a bit past 240k now, and still going strong. Had one hub seal leak, so I replaced both and rebuilt the parking brakes. It promptly rejected the one that didn't need replacing. (Pretty typical IME... Don't replace good parts, it pisses the truck off...) I just fixed that, but otherwise it hasn't gotten more than oil changes and fuel for tens of thousands of miles.

On our trip to Baja last year, I ran a motorcycle carrier on the front, and one on the rear, plus the truck camper. I thought the springs worked really well, even the front, which was probably in the realm of horribly overloaded... We ran the whoops north of Coco's Corner instead of the "road" and I was able to run a pretty good clip. And my wife hit an arroyo on 5 south of San Filepe WAY faster than she should have, with no ill effects. (Pretty sure we had some air under the front tires... I felt the suspension top out, and the truck kept rising some... Then we got REALLY close to the road, though it was actually a fairly gentle landing, all things considered. That commenced a conversation about driving in Mexico being different than driving in the US... You must pay attention ALL THE TIME.

And just to plant the seed again... Baja next April? A week or two after Easter seems the best time to go because the winter Gringo's all head north over Easter and the result is lots of empty camping areas. And the water is warmer. :)

Gotta fire up the other computer to find some pics... :)

Last edited:

spressomon

Expedition Leader
Interesting comment about fuel mileage with the ST MAXXs Jack as it mirrors the same experience with mine compared to former Toyo AT and AT2 as well as GY MT/R Kevlar. Strangely enough, all things weak sidewalls aside, the GY MT/R Kevlars yielded the best overall fuel mileage of the 4 compared tires on my 100-Series.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Been a while since I checked in on you, and it appears you're just motoring on, which is how it should work. :)
My truck is on 255/80R17 Maxx's now, and I couldn't be happier. Actually, I first put 255/85R16 Maxx's on my Jeep, and liked them so much that when the truck needed new shoes last fall, I went with Maxx's on the truck too. :)

I'm experimenting with heavy airsoft BB's as balance media... I either have too much (~6oz/tire, per Equal chart) or too little, because I have a bounce on one tire at about 64mph. No worse than the previous tires that were traditionally balanced, but I'll probably add another ounce of BB's the next time I rotate them and see if it helps.

I'm a bit past 240k now, and still going strong. Had one hub seal leak, so I replaced both and rebuilt the parking brakes. It promptly rejected the one that didn't need replacing. (Pretty typical IME... Don't replace good parts, it pisses the truck off...) I just fixed that, but otherwise it hasn't gotten more than oil changes and fuel for tens of thousands of miles.

On our trip to Baja last year, I ran a motorcycle carrier on the front, and one on the rear, plus the truck camper. I thought the springs worked really well, even the front, which was probably in the realm of horribly overloaded... We ran the whoops north of Coco's Corner instead of the "road" and I was able to run a pretty good clip. And my wife hit an arroyo on 5 south of San Filepe WAY faster than she should have, with no ill effects. (Pretty sure we had some air under the front tires... I felt the suspension top out, and the truck kept rising some... Then we got REALLY close to the road, though it was actually a fairly gentle landing, all things considered. That commenced a conversation about driving in Mexico being different than driving in the US... You must pay attention ALL THE TIME.

And just to plant the seed again... Baja next April? A week or two after Easter seems the best time to go because the winter Gringo's all head north over Easter and the result is lots of empty camping areas. And the water is warmer. :)

Gotta fire up the other computer to find some pics... :)

Glad you are liking the ST Maxx's. Like I said, I like the tire, but if my Nitto's (G2 versions) would have been as good as my first (original set), I would still be running them.

I did the BB balancing in my 40's on my 4Runner, but I haven't really driven it too much on the highway and of course, it is not much of a highway flyer anyway, so I can't speak to the effectiveness. I am curious though for a true highway use.
I love hearing that you are seeing the miles that you are (almost 100k) more than me and it's still running great. There was an RV tower on one of the forums that makes his living hauling RV's for the manufacturers who made it to 650k before he lost the compression on one cylinder. That is impressive, considering it worked/towed it's whole life.
As far as Baja...next year might be too soon as mine will most likely be under the knife around that time. The following year, would be much better.

Interesting comment about fuel mileage with the ST MAXXs Jack as it mirrors the same experience with mine compared to former Toyo AT and AT2 as well as GY MT/R Kevlar. Strangely enough, all things weak sidewalls aside, the GY MT/R Kevlars yielded the best overall fuel mileage of the 4 compared tires on my 100-Series.
Glad to hear I'm not imagining the MPG loss. Kinda bummed by that.
Jack

1stDeuce

Explorer
There was a "how many miles" thread on dieselplace a while ago that had more than a few over the 500k mark with nothing major having gone wrong. That does seem to be the practical limit for injectors though...

And I'll also confirm that the Maxx's get about 1mpg less than the fairly bald tires that I took off it. I don't think that's a surprise at all, as the best mileage with any tire is when it is 100% worn out. Very common for me to see a mileage hit anytime I replace tires. If going from a mild tread to a more aggressive one, you should also see that hit.

If it's mileage you want, you could always buy someone ELSE new tires, and take their 50% used tires. Mine should be ready for that exchange in about a year. :)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
There was a "how many miles" thread on dieselplace a while ago that had more than a few over the 500k mark with nothing major having gone wrong. That does seem to be the practical limit for injectors though...

And I'll also confirm that the Maxx's get about 1mpg less than the fairly bald tires that I took off it. I don't think that's a surprise at all, as the best mileage with any tire is when it is 100% worn out. Very common for me to see a mileage hit anytime I replace tires. If going from a mild tread to a more aggressive one, you should also see that hit.

If it's mileage you want, you could always buy someone ELSE new tires, and take their 50% used tires. Mine should be ready for that exchange in about a year. :)

Agree on the mileage and thread. I'm always impressed and it's very comforting to see the mileage that some of these guys get and how little repair it takes to get there.
My Nitto's were far from worn out; albeit, they were much more mild in the tread department. I was just surprised that they made that much of a difference. My change from 265's to the 285's didn't affect it as much as the switch from Nittos to Cooper...
Jack

TCICapn

It's surprising to hear there is that much MPG difference between the Coopers and Nittos for the same size. I've still got some time before I need tires so I'm sure I'll go 'round and 'round on what to do until then... So far I like the Coopers the best though, seems like a good balance of capabilities and practicality.

Good luck with the shoulder surgery.

Been watching Krazytoy's SAS and can't wait to see yours as well.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
It's surprising to hear there is that much MPG difference between the Coopers and Nittos for the same size. I've still got some time before I need tires so I'm sure I'll go 'round and 'round on what to do until then... So far I like the Coopers the best though, seems like a good balance of capabilities and practicality.

Good luck with the shoulder surgery.

Been watching Krazytoy's SAS and can't wait to see yours as well.

I agree. It's weird. Again, I don't have my normal tune (90hp) loaded, but still. I totally understand on the decision, I hate buying tires as I too stress over which ones to buy. I don't think you can go wrong with the Coopers as other than the mileage, I have been impressed.
Thank you, I hope the recovery and SAS goes well.
Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Getting ready for a major update, I've been preparing everything to get ready for Tim's SAS kit and swap.
Front axle from the JY
IMG_1707-L.jpg

Close up of the hub and brakes (nearly new Powerstop rotors and pads)
IMG_1709-L.jpg

Axle stripped down:
IMG_1967-L.jpg

I took the axle down to have the Eaton E-locker and 4.56 gears installed and spent some time getting the parts from the cut welded up (skid plate/belly pan and lower control arms).
IMG_2044-L.jpg

IMG_2045-L.jpg

IMG_2046-L.jpg

IMG_2047-L.jpg

Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Getting everything painted up.
IMG_2048-L.jpg

IMG_2049-L.jpg

IMG_2050-L.jpg

IMG_2051-L.jpg

Time to reassemble the front axle with all new unit bearings and steering components.
IMG_2054-L.jpg

IMG_2055-L.jpg

IMG_2057-L.jpg

IMG_2058-L.jpg

And of course the coilovers:
IMG_1966-L.jpg

The truck goes into the garage next weekend to start to the conversion.
Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles