Jack's 2007 Chevy Build

HenryJ

Expedition Leader
I think you need to go "full on hover truck" ...skip the SFA and go straight for gravitational generators :)

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Very interested to see how this goes. What are your plans for the kings that will be coming off?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

They will be for sale. Let me know if you are interested.

I can smell the freshly cut metal from here

Yeah, me too...still. Even with a respirator, the grinding dust still gets into the sinus'.

Live-axle trucks, particularly those with coil springs, can drive impressively well. I have said and written repeatedly that the new fourth-Gen Dodge/Ram trucks (that I own) are the best driving circulating ball trucks I have ever operated. And that is with stock suspension.

I haven't driven one, but I can only imagine. This is basically a super sized version of my 80 series LC and that was a great driving/riding platform.

Wishing you well on this project and hoping for few hassles...

Thank you, I really appreciate it. So far the work has been time consuming, but not horrible. The cutting and grinding has taken forever. When people say that is the worst part of SAS'in a Chevy truck, they are not kidding.

I think you need to go "full on hover truck" ...skip the SFA and go straight for gravitational generators :)

That would be sweet, washboards be damned!!
Jack

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Some picture updates.
Front suspension removed.
IMG_2076-L.jpg

My wife grinding the factory mounts.
IMG_2078-L.jpg

Frame plates welded on. Still have some cleaning up to do before it's done.
IMG_2080-L.jpg

Belly pan mounted. That was a lot of drilling. It takes a while to drill twenty holes out to a 9/16's hole.
IMG_2082-L.jpg

IMG_2083-L.jpg

Axle gets placed next.
Jack

1stDeuce

Explorer
I assume you're doing the 3" kit? I was just checking it out and it looks pretty good. I'd prefer the lower arms tucked up a little better, but I can see that there's not really a good way to do that. You're still gaining about 3" under most of the truck, so it's a small point.

Any thoughts as to why they don't use a Dodge axle, since the suspension is about the same, and the bolt pattern too... ABS issues, perhaps, or the lack of lockout hubs for cool factor...

I like that they're using the original front driveshaft too...

Are there any provisions for a sway bar? Seems like on-road handling will be spooky without one, given the soft damping of the Kings.

Looking forward to updates!

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I assume you're doing the 3" kit? I was just checking it out and it looks pretty good. I'd prefer the lower arms tucked up a little better, but I can see that there's not really a good way to do that. You're still gaining about 3" under most of the truck, so it's a small point.

Any thoughts as to why they don't use a Dodge axle, since the suspension is about the same, and the bolt pattern too... ABS issues, perhaps, or the lack of lockout hubs for cool factor...

I like that they're using the original front driveshaft too...

Are there any provisions for a sway bar? Seems like on-road handling will be spooky without one, given the soft damping of the Kings.

Looking forward to updates!

Yes, I am doing to the 3" kit, which is the height that Tim built it around it. I would have as well, but overall, the arms are tucked up as well as they can be.

I'm sure its the lack of hubs. I would have preferred the Dodge axle to be honest. I think it would have been a better fit overall.

Me as well. I have the conversion joint; I still have to get it installed and hooked up.

There is a swaybar available, which I will probably install. I drove Trevor's truck from WFO and he didn't have a swaybar installed and it drove great. Because I will be hauling the camper, I think a swaybar would be an improvement.

I'll get some other updates soon.

Jack

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Yeah, it was about as much fun as you think it is. Nothing like hot drill shards raining down on you while you are drilling overhead. :victory:

Thank you and me as well.

About a year ago a friend and I did rear suspension mods to his Tacoma that involved drilling out the rear spring shackle rivets, and also drilled the frame for sliders. It was plenty of fun. We cooked one of my drills.

mccustomize

Explorer

The Ford axle has a stronger center section, bigger tubes, stronger knuckles, lockouts, larger ball joint spacing, bigger ball joints, better unit bearings, bigger axle shafts, and a bigger ring gear.

Oh and Ford has 1550 axle shafts that come fully assembled for about 300 bucks that drop right in.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
It's back on four wheels and driveable. I still have some details to work out and of course get the rear gears installed. One of the changes is to different rear springs. I am sitting nose high right now. The coilovers are set as low as possible. Overall, I am very happy with the outcome. Enough babbling, onto the pictures.

IMG_2098-L.jpg

IMG_2100-L.jpg

I'm on an incline in my driveway, but you can see the rear to front difference.
IMG_2109-L.jpg

IMG_2110-L.jpg

IMG_2111-L.jpg

The wheels are stock Ford 17" steelies that I painted up that allowed me to use my current tires. I am still working on tires and wheels, but these will work for a while.
Jack

uscg2008

Explorer
God I really got to stop seeing this I want to do mine so bad :drool: are you going to go with a full deaver leaf pack now?

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
What is the eventual tire size goal, 35" or 37"? Seems like 37" would look cool. :)

Nice Jack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles