Insulating for sound and thermal

1sweetvan

Adventurer
I'm wanting to quiet down the interior of my 12 passenger wagon. I'm wondering if "Roxul Safe n Sound" and a layer of reflectix would do the trick. Any suggestions?

robert

Expedition Leader
I don't know anything about that particular sound deadner, but a lot of folks use reflectix in their VWs with good results. I have some window covers for my VW made out of it and other than making it dark they work well.

Toolman

Explorer
I used Dynamat Xtreme on the roof and inside the doors. I'm planing on doing the floor and the interior walls of the rear section as well. I'm very pleased with the results so far and I haven't re-installed the interior yet. I'm considering using Lizard Skin on the floor. It's will adhere better and last longer, IMO. I'm comparing costs between that and having a company like Line X do it. They quoted me $600 to do the entire rear section and I think it would cost me about $300 in material plus the cost of the $80 gun to shoot the material, plus time and labor, tape etc.

build thread :

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52388&page=2

shawn_nj

Observer
I used Dynamat Xtreme on the roof and inside the doors. I'm planing on doing the floor and the interior walls of the rear section as well. I'm very pleased with the results so far and I haven't re-installed the interior yet. I'm considering using Lizard Skin on the floor. It's will adhere better and last longer, IMO. I'm comparing costs between that and having a company like Line X do it. They quoted me $600 to do the entire rear section and I think it would cost me about $300 in material plus the cost of the $80 gun to shoot the material, plus time and labor, tape etc.

build thread :

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52388&page=2

EDIT: Saw your build thread. Looks like you have it covered...LOL Nice work!

I gutted the interior and had almost the whole inside of my van Rhinolined. (From front firewall to rear doors, 1/2 up the side of the van. Awesome for traction, dent, and rust/corrosion protection. But really didnt make too much of a difference in sound deadening before and after. LineX is pretty similiar. If you really want to quiet road noise down, I still think you have to add a dense/thick barrier like dynamat or similiar. Just something to think about.

rhino.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz