Bike Suggestions

Storz

Explorer
Kicking this back up, I never ended up getting a bike last this year but am still pushing for one for next summer. Focusing my search on a nice used KLR

rjl2001

Just thought I'd mention that Kawasaki also made the KLR250 up until 2005, and I've seen them pop up pretty cheap on occasion. I paid $1800 for an '05 klr250 a couple months ago with 7k miles and in great shape. For me it is great around town and in the dirt. Not overly powerful by any means but has enough to get the job done. I was riding it a few days a week to school which is about 20 miles roundtrip and mostly 65mph highway. At my 220lb weight it just about tops out at actual 65-70mph (~75-80 indicated). The suspension/brakes seem good enough to me, and they do have a reputation as being reliable. It is kickstart only if that's a downside, it hasn't bothered me. After the KLR250 they came out with the upgraded KLX250S I believe it is, improved in most areas and could maybe find that under $2500 used.

Otherwise as others have said, and you already know, the DRZ 400S seems like a likely candidate. I haven't ridden one yet myself, but imagine it falls between bikes like my 250 and DR650. I kind of wish I would have started with the DRZ personally, as I have seen good deals on them recently too. Though like a lot of people say, it's hard to go wrong with a good representation of any of those models. That's pretty much how I looked at it and then jumped on the cheapest deal I could find.

NothingClever

Explorer
My recommendation is to go with the DR for reasons that are based on my observations and formed opinions after studying what type of thumper to buy back in 2002.

One: You don't have to fool with changing out the radiator fluid since the DR is air/oil cooled. If you're racking up the miles, that will be a welcomed advantage during services.

Two: As a previous poster wrote, the DR is more dirt friendly than the KLR which means you have a greater degree of adaptability. The DR's stanchions and tubes will be better right off the lot in the dirt than the KLR suspenders. With some mild spring upgrades, the DR can have excellent suspension. With the KLR, you can only do so much before needing to simply buy a whole new fork.

Three: Although the DR will/might require a seat upgrade if you intend to log some long distance rides, once you do that, you'll have an exponentially more capable bike, IMO. While the KLR's seat is better off the lot, for me that's not a significant advantage. The suspension, motor, wheels, brakes, wiring loom and geometry are far more important to me than those items (brake pads, tires, grips, headlights, seat, etc) that daily riders routinely swap out. For context, how many guys here upgrade their OEM tires on their 4x4 truck as soon as they buy it? Countless dozens, right? I view seats the same way. IF, and I intentionally capitolize IF, the seat is entirely uncomfortable, an upholsterer can do a lot to remedy the problem. I think an OEM seat is hardly a good reason to choose one bike over another.

Four: I don't think KLRs have much advantage over DRs in terms of aftermarket support. Maybe they have more doo-dads but I did a lot of research on DS thumpers before buying my third one back in 2002 and the quality of aftermarket parts for the DR was much higher since many were trickle-down race technology. The KLR will need a slew of upgrades before you even start thinking about hanging race-driven technology on a KLR.

Five: If international travel is on the horizon, Suzuki is a more prominent brand in Central and South America. Not sure about Africa, Asia or Australia.

Six: If you want cheap, KLR will win every time. They have a loyal following because, IMO, they are an entry level bike, there are abundant doo dads to hang on them which gives novice riders a chance to feel like their right there in the race paddock dialing in their bike for the next plateau of performance. For me, hanging a bunch of doo dads on a bike maketh not one a mechanic.

While I'm critical of the KLR, it's a decent bike and there's no arguing that people have ridden them long distances without problems. In the end, you have to evaluate what's important to you, what do you anticipate will be important in your future and what you're willing to pay out to get the bike kitted out to perform the way you desire.

Best of luck with your decision.

Storz

Explorer
Excellent advice all around! I certainly am keeping the DR650 in my sights as well, and actually was doing a some more research on them last night. Having had two 'zuks in the past I guess I am somewhat partial to them.

Is a Dakar style front fairing available for the DR650, a lot of the riding I am going to be doing will be on the pavement, getting to the fun places, and a little wind/element protection would be nice.

Last edited:

sandalscout

Adventurer
No, the DR800 was not sold in the US. There are at least a couple of them in the US. They were either sold or legal imports in Canada, an ADVer from Tennessee has one that he bought off of a Canadian friend.

NothingClever

Explorer
Not available from the factory but for a price you can customize any bike to either look, perform or look and perform like a rallye bike. Your best start point would be to browse the www.britanniacomposites.com webpage. Past that, if you're looking for more race-bred fairings and components, try http://www.rallymanagementservices.com and next would be http://www.albertodottori.net . However, if you get fixated on those products and services, you're probably going to need to move away from the DR and go after a DR-Z which can be outfitted to perform at the rally race level.

Two more resources... http://www.mecasystem.fr/ and http://www.dr-big-shop.de/shop/index.php?cPath=7&XTCsid=6589qoufdlgfkt7lueo37fh8j5 .

You might also consider a Husqvarna TE 610. 2006 model year bikes are in the $3500+ range so scrub off a few years and you might find one to fit your budget. I have one (2006 - last year of carbs) and it's a SUPREMELY competent bike in a wide variety of conditions. Its lightweight and 6 speed tranny collaborate to make it the perfect desert, mountain or long-range mixed-piste touring bike, IMO.

Storz

Explorer
The DR is now at the top of my list. Been reading a TON on advrider the past couple days. Ill check out the husky too.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Frank

Explorer
I also am a huge fan of the KLR.

Don't read EVERYTHING bad about the KLR on the net. You will read about "the doohicky" / oil consumption and everything else in between about the bike. My personal feeling is that if it were that big of an issue, there would be a recall on it. There are THOUSANDS of KLR's out there that don't have issues yet the few on various forums complain and everyone thinks they are problematic. Take it for what its worth.

Parts, accessories and help is never more than a click away. Lots of suppliers and lots of people manufacture parts for the KLR.

They really are exactly what you want out of them. You want a commuter for work, its perfect out of the box. You want to run the Baja1000 or ride the world on one...it can be set up to do so. These bikes can be found dirt cheap. Search around on craigslist. I paid $3600 for my '08 with 3500 miles on it. That was a steal, but it proves the fact that deals are out there!

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
When I was choosing between a DR and KLR I just decided to go with whichever good deal came up first. It turned out to be a well kitted out KLR and I regularly ride trails on the weekend and commute all week. Reminds me I need to take the shifter off this evening and beat it back into shape!

Anyway, I would imagine that the right suspension preload and a well adjusted riding position would make a bigger difference for many people than splitting the mechanical hairs between those two bikes. Try both and see which makes you smile more! :bike_rider:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior