Is the OZ Tent RV-4 worth it???

wesel123

Explorer
Looking at new solutions for the dogs and my little one to sleep with out going up a ladder and was thinking about the Oz Tent. But I'm not sure about the cost. They are currently running a 10% sale right now but it'll still be $850 or so. At that price is it REALLY worth it????

The quick set up is an awesome feature but setting up a conventional tent, let say it takes 5 min????

What do you all think????

F5driver

Adventurer
I really like my OZ tent. It's a perfect compliment to the trailer. Setup is a breeze and because of the internal frame the tent held up well during a trip wher the wind gusts were 40 plus knots. Not many full size tents would fare so well.

wesel123

Explorer
Where the heck to you keep it though. Thats the other concern. I have a 6 ft trailer but I don't think it'll fit????

Lichen

Explorer
I have the RV3 and it's too long for the roof rack on my FJC. I either have to put it at an angle or let about one foot hang off the back. Other than that, it's a wonderful tent.

bluejeep

just a guy
:coffeedrink: I have the RV3 (same basic packed size as the 4) and it's very worth it - I use it when I tow the jeep so it goes in the back of the pickup - it is long. I think the next best addition to it is the screened in porch - similar to the wall additions but I like that it has a floor - it has 'walls' for more private sleeping if you let the awnings hang down.

wesel123

Explorer
So do you guys that own them have any regrets from spending so much and wish you saved some a got say an REI Hobitat?? Sorry Im totally digging them and totally jealous of you guys that own them. But I want to make sure on this purchase.

Thanks for the input so far. Its helping.

BeachinFJ

Observer
I say the RV 4 is worth it, if I had to do it over I would get the RV5.:smiley_drive:

Attachments

• IMG_2688.JPG
    IMG_2688.JPG
    482.7 KB · Views: 137

gregf

I bought my RV5 for your same reasons. I wanted the ease of a RTT set-up but did not want to lug my 65lb dog up and down the ladder of a RTT. So after alot of research decided on the OZ Tent. I could not be happier. Expensive - Yes but the quality and design are worth every penny. I would though, if I was you, go ahead and get the slightly larger RV5 like I did.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
i've seen like 6 video's having to do with the setup or take down of the RV series. Anyone know of any vid's or write-ups of a tent in actual incliment weather?

I actually think the price is just about right on these. I wouldn't flinch at paying $800-900 for a quality setup that I can throw up on my thule bars and head out.

I like that you have the quick setup of a RTT, in addition to the ability to use your truck without having to stow your tent.

When we were up in glacier national park, we had just arrived in camp when the ranger walked up and asked me in my big blazer if I could help him pull his truck out of the gully/soft shoulder of the trail leading to our remote camping spot. I didn't hesitate to affirm that I was more than happy to help, but I remember that I had to completely close up and stow our maggiolina and all the gear that was halfway out of my rig to drive down the road to give him a tug back onto the trail

IZZYDUSIT

Adventurer
I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with my Oz tent in one respect!
for an "expedition" purpose I would have redesign the plastic joints on the internal frame as they broke up on a camping trip under normal deployment!
replacing them is a pain in the arss at home- not to mention in the field! managed to duct tape it for that one occasion but now, I just use it as an awning / storage/ dressing room along with my rtt.
this was experienced by other members of this forum as I recall from prior threads.
My .02 cents....

v8chris

I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed with my Oz tent in one respect!
for an "expedition" purpose I would have redesign the plastic joints on the internal frame as they broke up on a camping trip under normal deployment!
replacing them is a pain in the arss at home- not to mention in the field! managed to duct tape it for that one occasion but now, I just use it as an awning / storage/ dressing room along with my rtt.
this was experienced by other members of this forum as I recall from prior threads.
My .02 cents....

I'm guessing yours is an RV2? We've got the RV2 and the hinges are in the uprights whereas in the other RVs they are in the top rails so don't move anything like as much.

We've had ours around 2 and a bit years now and have had it up in some fairly rough weather (both heavy winds and heavy rain) and it's always coped something like. Admittedly we did have to send the first one back due to the hinges bending but the second one has been better - but this problem only seems to affect the RV2's. Though I would like to see some re-designed hinges made of ally or if still plastic then being supported both sides rather than just on one side so they were stronger.

When stopping for a quick overnight, we can be set up and actually going to sleep within 5 minutes - takes longer to get the sleeping bags, mats etc out and set up than putting the tent up :wings:

the length of the bag is a bit of P>I>T>A as it has to go on the roof of the 90 whereas before it used to slide in between the seats of the discovery, but with an Ozbasket and some roof bars it's fairly straightforward t otravel with on the roof.

Overall we get on really well with it, yes it does have some limitations but overall it does what it should and as yet I've not seen anything similar that woudl do what the Oztent does so it looks likeit's staying.

If the stored space is an issue, what about a Jet tent? Think they are from the same makers as Oztent?

wesel123

Explorer
Jet tent is awesome but wow is it uber pricey! That alone takes is out of the running. Gfood thought though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior