Diesel stove?

Tim A

Adventurer
I just got back from my first trip to Afghanistan. I would have been nice to take my Jetboil Flash with coffee press but I was sure my fuel canisters wouldn't make the trip.

Is there a quality, small, inexpensive diesel/JP8/unleaded stove available so I can take it with me next time? From searching, looks like I can have 2 attributes (quality, small, inexpensive) but not all 3.

What say ye?

bobcat charlie

Adventurer
I have an old Coleman multi-fuel single burner stove with the kerosene regulator that runs just fine on diesel....especially now that we have ULSD. I did use the old high sulfer diesel in it and it worked fine also. I keep the stove under my back seat in case I need a reliable stove.

Tim A

Adventurer
^^ perfect. I saw that one on REI.com. Just the price tag is hard to swallow but I do respect the reputation MSR has.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I used to have a coleman apex II multi-fuel stove that was a great little stove. I had the kerosene / diesel adapter for it , but only ever used it on white fuel. It's like that msr shown above, which is a real popular stove, but my coleman sure simmered better than the msrs my SAR buddies had. YMMV.

mrlocksmith

Adventurer
First I assume you are in the Military .. so THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE....!!!

This might be a bit bigger siZe stove but it is a single burner and it will burn almost anything. I have a lantern from them and it is awsome.

www.petromax.com

Check out the stove section

Mark

chp-sk8

Adventurer
Hey tim

Hey brother...I am still over here. The MSR dragonfly is the way ahead....you can cook with anything that will ignite in it. Super light and very duable...glad your home brother.I have a few months left on this trip.

Tim A

Adventurer
Thanks for the all the great links! I've got some deciding to do.

Hey brother...I am still over here. The MSR dragonfly is the way ahead....you can cook with anything that will ignite in it. Super light and very duable...glad your home brother.I have a few months left on this trip.

Thanks for the kind words. I wish you all the best in your last few months!

Icewalker

Adventurer
I'll add an extra vote for the MSR ... although I'm using the XGK ... these things will burn pretty much any flammable liquid.

Far far north

I would suggest Optimus Nova.
Burns anything, solid pump made of metal, good simmer, easy to field strip and maintain, built in cleaning needle and I just love the good strong pot supports.
And now that they have finally done something about the minor faults it has had the last years due to cheap production I hope it will regain it's former reputation as a excellent and durable expedition stove.
I sure love mine. :coffeedrink:

c1502941540c79e5db5ddc75d743cf38.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior