Lipstick on a Pig: The 10 Don'ts of Vehicle Modifications

rayra

Expedition Leader
nevermind. Missed that it was a gravedig and already full of purse-swinging about radio types and legalities.

Last edited:

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'd add "don't expect to get your money back when you sell your modified vehicle."
I would phrase it like this: "If you want to get ANY money back from your mods, pull them off and sell them separately." Not only that, some "costly" mods will actually LOWER the value of the vehicle.
I had a custom tube bumper on my '99 4runner. Now, you would think a 3rd gen 4runner with an E-locker and the "tall coil" suspension would be just about guaranteed to sell in a second, wouldn't you? Yeah, but that bumper - more than one potential customer looked at it and said "no thanks." I ended up selling it for a much lower price than I'd anticipated, all because of that damned bumper that I thought was so cool.
I learned my lesson - when I got my '07 4runner I had a custom bumper built - and I kept the original factory bumper in my garage! When it was time to sell, the aftermarket bumper came off (and I sold it immediately for about $200 less than I'd paid for it 3 years before) and the factory bumper went back on.
With the exception of suspension mods (which IMO are too much of a PITA to remove) I try to pull all mods off my vehicles before I sell them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles