ARE DCU question

irish_11

Explorer
I am hoping to pick up one for my Tacoma tomorrow night. I've been looking for a while and haven't been able to find one with the ambulance doors. This one that I found has the standard flip up back door. How hard is it to buy the doors from ARE and switch it? I have a decent selection of tools, and time so slight modifications aren't a problem. I just want to know if it is doable, or should I just be happy with what I have.

96discoXD

Adventurer
I had a DCU with the rear doors you're looking for on a GMC pickup. The rear framework of the topper with the dual doors goes all the way to the bottom (past the bed floor at the rear of the bed) so if the one with the standard flip up door you're referring to don't extend all the way down, i.e, the OE tailgate remains in place It probably won't work. You would need to get a bunch of 1" aluminum square tubing and find someone to TIG it in order to finish the framework necessary. You're better off just finding what you want IMO.

irish_11

Explorer
Thats about what I figured. I contacted ARE asking if it was possible to buy the rear door setup (doors and frame) as a kit and they havent got back to me. Thanks!

Dale

Adventurer
Watch those barn doors, they hurt like hell when the wind picks up and slams you while your trying to load/unload. I have the post and compression locks which are suppose to hold the doors open. I now use bungee cords in addition. I plan on making a top hinged door like a regular cap would have but extend all the way down to the floor of the bed. ARE sells this as an option,too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94