Newbie here looking to buy a Travelall.

alexfm

Explorer
I think the rare turbo diesel Travelall would be the ultimate expedition vehicle if parts for it were more readily available.

I dont know about the Travelall, but the Scout Traveller that came with the diesel had the infamous Nissan SD33 motor, making parts very hard to find, at least from what I hear. My dad has a 1978 Scout 2 that Im hoping to get running.

casioqv

Dr. Diesel
I dont know about the Travelall, but the Scout Traveller that came with the diesel had the infamous Nissan SD33 motor

I'm pretty sure they both had the same motor. What's infamous about it besides relatively low horsepower? I haven't owned one, but my understanding is the SD33 is a very high quality motor widely used in industrial and marine applications, and parts are widely available.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
The Travelall never came factory with a SD33 diesel, they stopped making the Travelall and PU in 1975. IH then made a stretched Scout II and called it a Terra if it had a half cab and a Traveler if it had a full top. It was intended as a replacement for the fullsize International stuff and ran from 1976-1980.

wesfab1

Goin' Commando
Im working a deal on a '73 Travelall 1110 now. It is in Portland, Oregon. He claims it is a driver with no rust issues. From the photos there is no visible rust, but im sure at the very least the front floors have issues. It has a good coat of fungus forming on it inside and out, so it must have sat outside for years un-used.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
There is an active IH club in Oregon, lots of them seem to be around the Portland area. You might be able to have one of them go by and take a look at it for you to give you an idea of the shape its in. Its called IH Scouts and Trucks of Oregon and they have a website. IH only north website has a few guys that are regulars that are from around the Portland area too along with Just internationals. Good luck on your hunt. Keep us posted.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Are you still looking for a Travelall. Just saw a 1972 Travelall 1110 on the Medford OR craigslist, looks and sounds pretty good. I will be up that way this weekend if you want someone to take a look at it. There is also a 1973 1210 on the SF Bay CA craiglist, looks a bit rough but the price is cheap, says rusty but can't tell if its just surface rust or cancer.

wesfab1

Goin' Commando
Shortbus, I'm pretty sure i decided on buying the one near Portland. Here is a picture i just recieved. This is actually a '72 1110, not a '73 like i originally thought i read. I am not sure of the exact town this is located in, he said he is NEAR Portland. I hope this is not the one on CL. I would hate to lose this sale.

(Edit: it is not the one on craigslist Medford, i had to check)

Attachments

• DSCN0845.JPG
    DSCN0845.JPG
    965.6 KB · Views: 14

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
That actually doesn't look bad, can't see any rust from the pictures. It looks a little slimy from sittting under the trees in the Pacific Northwet. It should clean up pretty good with a wash and some cleaner. Vehicles get that way here on the coast if they sit under trees where they never dry out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior