One Spice?

ArkansasDon

Observer
only 1 spice?.......that would be hard. I know it would be my homemade AP Rub. It has 2 ingredients & what makes this is the ratio of the ingredients. These are some beef short ribs win a red wine braising liquid I done. I used my AP rub on the short ribs. At times we will take a small pit smoker I built with us. That is what I cooked on
002.jpg004.jpg007.jpg

Last edited:

jpachard

Adventurer
Great thread. I’m surprised garam masala hasn’t been mentioned yet. We make our own as it’s cheaper and we can tailor it to our taste. Then again, my better half is Indian and we don’t camp without the whole spice kit. She has a very nice compact spice kit that we bring everywhere. For the 300g it weighs, the ability to cook up some nice Goan shrimp or saag paneer trailside is priceless. We always seem to be the site where folks walk by and comment on how good it smells!

If anyone wants some recipes, shoot me a pm.

Cheers, James

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole
Great thread. I'm surprised garam masala hasn't been mentioned yet. We make our own as it's cheaper and we can tailor it to our taste. Then again, my better half is Indian and we don't camp without the whole spice kit. She has a very nice compact spice kit that we bring everywhere. For the 300g it weighs, the ability to cook up some nice Goan shrimp or saag paneer trailside is priceless. We always seem to be the site where folks walk by and comment on how good it smells!

Hard to beat indian food prepared by someone who knows what they are doing, probably my favorite cuisine. you lucky dog.

I put this on errry thing. Eggs,meat and bloody Marys .

Attachments

• 8E8F0951-967F-42AC-AE66-9824752044DE.png
    8E8F0951-967F-42AC-AE66-9824752044DE.png
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 15

dwh

Tail-End Charlie
Salt, pepper, onion and garlic aren't spices - they are staples. :) Same as hot sauce.

I cut back on salt when I was 22 y. o., so I don't like spice mixes with salt added. Since most have salt added, I just don't really ever buy them.

I'm with some others here, no way I could get by with just one spice. Back in the backpack/motorcycle/jeep days of my youth I'd carry a handful of 35mm film cannisters with spices. Salt in one, black pepper in another, Hungarian sweet paprika in a third. Another with 3/4 garlic powder 1/4 onion powder mix. Another with a sweet basil/oregano/cumin/tyme mix (90% sweet basil).

And of course, a small glass bottle of Tabasco and another of Wright's liquid smoke - weight be damned, gotta have those.

But in a camper or RV? Hog wild. I don't even know what all I've got stashed away in the camper.

MCX

TalesFromTheDesert.com
I've been using this...multiple spices in one container: Multi Spice
d9588373-8123-4417-b34a-9da6ba97b06e_1.fe5ee6cf8116ee82c4df1dc715d951d4.jpeg

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Trail Dust and garlic pepper. Works for almost everything.
However, if I had to pick ONLY ONE container with no mixing or other hijinks, I would have to say “Slap Ya Mama”. Probably the winner of the single only spice allow challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

hogdoc

Limited to just one, Cabelas Mountain Man Bourban, goes with anything. Steak, chicken, pork, fries, eggs, potatoes... you name it. Has a great flavor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles