Replacement for Ford Escape shown

haven

Expedition Leader
fordvertrekconcept.jpg

Here's the replacement for the Ford Escape in 2012, as shown at the Detroit Auto Show. This concept vehicle is called the Vertrek. Ford may decide to continue using the Escape name for the production model. I assume the production model will have smaller rims, and door handles!

The Vertrek is based on the Focus front drive chassis, and will employ Ecoboost 1.6L and 2.0L four cylinder engines. Compared to today's Escape, the Vertrek is a couple of inches wider and longer. The roofline is definitely lower, and tapers toward the rear to improve aerodynamics.

There's no word yet about AWD, but the Vertrek is supposed to be Ford's "all weather, all road" compact crossover. So I expect some way to drive the rear wheels will be optional.

Jrally

Adventurer
Porsche, BMW and Kia styling all thown together. It's a good looking concept, but the lines are all too familiar for my taste. Besides, how are we suppose to put in our proposal to Ford for building an Escape to compete in the 2012 Dakar, if they aren't going to still sell the current body... LOL

-Jon

ihatemybike

Explorer
I mostly like the styling, but why are car companies extending the front light assemblies halfway back on the fender? I'm really getting sick of this look.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I guess I'm confused. :confused:

What niche is this supposed to fit into?

Ford already makes 2 other car-based unibody CUVs, the Edge and the Flex. And the 2011 Explorer is a unibody design (don't know if it's got the transverse engine and FWD bias of a car-based CUV, though.)

The Escape was Ford's first venture into the unibody CUV world and AFAIK it only endured because it was less expensive than the other two.

Yes, I know companies like Toyota and Nissan seem to offer multiple CUVs(Toyota has both the Highlander and the RAV4, Nissan has the Murano, Rogue and Cube) but I don't quite understand why. I'm not a business guy, but when a manufacturer offers multiple versions of the same class of vehicle, don't they run the risk of essentially competing with themselves? And the additonal cost of maintaining multiple models would seem to detract from their bottom line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles