Red October Build

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
hey all, new here. ive been lurking for the past couple days. i actually came to be here because i saw this Tundra and cross searched it back to its source:

4073217633_42210c8674_b.jpg

i think its completely ************. im a long time Jeep person and did the whole rock crawling and driving through places it was difficult, to hazardous to walk through. i recently became a dad, and upon news of this i sold my jeep for a more family oriented vehicle.

i did quite a bit of searching and came across one of these and picked it up back in July

typhoon1.jpg

not really, but my buddies do refer to my whale of a truck as the Red October.

*DISCLAIMER*

i'll go ahead and say that there are some frills to this build, quite a bit of cosmetic stuff that has no direction towards utility will be and has been performed. sorry if this isnt quite as rugged as a landrover or landcruiser build.

i picked up a 2010 F150 Super Crew FX4 with the 5.4L V8, 6-speed auto and 3.73 diffs. its a lot more truck than what i was looking for, but being a Ford share-holder entitled me to X-plan Factory pricing and i just couldnt resist getting $14,000 off sticker. unfortunately Raptors dont get factory pricing and this is why im stuck with this big red whale (happily)

IMG_0552.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

my goal is to outfit my truck to tame most of the trails in the US that it will fit on, and to be able to get to the outreaches of civilization unmaimed and back again, along with being able to drive clear across the country without having to think about reliability or if it will make it. and most of all, look good doing it.

unfortunately, now having a female half and a almost born daughter - funds have dwindled to nearly nothing and will continue to be so. granted i know what good parts are and how to build something, so thankfully i wont be cutting corners and buying crappy stuff.

if anyone is curious, this is my old Jeep:
DSC_0075-1.jpg

one of the first mods i did was to remove the stupid lug nut covers. i took them off and painted the hubs black

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_0578.jpg

next was to remove the ugly, ugly chromed up tail lights for a set of raptors:

a856c17f.jpg

then i decided that i was going to keep the factory aluminum wheels. they're very strong, along with look good and not too big. they're 18" - im a fan of using smaller wheels (16's and 17's) but with how big the rotors and calipers are on this truck - special 17" wheels are the smallest you can go and tracking one down is expensive, not to mention look ugly. so since i was going to use the factory wheel with a 12.50" wide tire - wheel spacers where in order.

i dont know how many of you are familiar with wheel spacers, but i ran them on my jeep for a little over 70,000 miles and i thought they were great. not the best of ideas, but they're inexpensive and allows the re-use of already good looking wheels. so i called up Fred Goeske and he milled me a set of 1.5" wide spacers out of 6061-T6 heat treated aluminum

IMG_0705.jpg

preparing to go on:
IMG_0706.jpg

pre-spacer backspacing:

IMG_0707.jpg

spacer on:

IMG_0709.jpg

post-spacer backspacing:

IMG_0710.jpg

so i gained a overall 3" increase in track width, which will be perfect for the 35x12.50's that im going to run to clear the suspension internals as well as adding stability.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
more cosmetics:

raptor headlights

photo-1.jpg

photo1.jpg

again, more cosmetics:

i pulled the ugly 3rd brake-light and wet sanded it with 2000 grit till it got hazy

DSC_0016.jpg

then i sprayed it down with nightshades and a clear and polished it

DSC_0020.jpg

6cc8c2c3.jpg

now onto useful things!

i did some research and decided on a Retro Solutions 55watt HID kit for my headlights. i was going to invest in a projector retrofit for my housings, but decided that the E-code style beam cutoff on the lenses was sufficient for HID's. ive been running them for about 2 months now and rarely get flashed - those who do flash me are the elderly which i think are not used to the physical brightness of the reflector assembly vs the actual light they're putting out.

IMG_1031.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

and then i modified silverstar ultra 9005 bulbs to fit into an H10 housing for my fog lights. they're a slightly larger housing bulb and are 55 watt instead of 43 watt. not much increase in brightness for a almost useless set of lights anyway, but every little bit helps.

IMG_1038.jpg

nighttime visibility:

Low:
IMG_1046.jpg

High:
IMG_1048.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

more athetics...

i got tired of the chrome rings around the vents in the inside, so i painted them

2d1f2c9c.jpg

now i have these rock lights left over from my jeep. my plan is to wire them in series and place them underneath the rails of my bed. when my budget allows me to start accumulating expedition equipment and traveling to locals. when the sun sets the basic cargo lights of my now tinted 3rd brake light will be worthless, so this will help a bit. this is a summer project for when it warms up.

IMG_1170.jpg

IMG_1172.jpg

now for some suspension stuff. i wanted to get 3" icon coilovers for the front with by-passes, but money wouldnt allow. so i got a set of 3" bilstien 5100 leveling struts that are custom valved by Dave at Dialed Motorsports in california for high speed washboard roads. so less they start fading on me, they should be perfect for the application. unfortunately they're at my brothers house in lexington as they were shipped on a pallet of his stuff and i have yet to go get them (tomorrow!)

photo-11.jpg

again, i wanted to get really nice rear Deaver springs that allowed full suspension travel - but my wallet and fiance did not like the idea of $500 per leaf pack. so im going to run a 1" lift block in the rear with relocated bump stops for the time being. at $100 bucks its not a bad deal

IMG_1191.jpg

IMG_1189.jpg

and once again, a little cosmetic thing. the clear coat on my facia badge was coming off so i pulled it off and im painting the outer ring black, then im going to lightly tint it. too much chrome from the factory :)

IMG_1209.jpg

right now im saving my money for a set of 35x12.50x18-D General Grabber's. should be the perfect tire and size.

in my future plans im hoping to find front and rear bumpers that i like that still keep a sporty "fast" look while still being able to mount a front 12,500lb warn winch and a 8000lb rear winch. then id like to build an open bed cage like on the Expedition One Tundra, that i can add a roof rack to for extra lights, along with being able to haul up to 2 kayaks along with other odds and ends. get some mattrax and Geri cans for extra fuel. im also going to get a quote from my local offroad shop on building a set of rock rails and some heavy duty 3/8" skid plates for the underneath. all in due time though.

thats all for now, thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Ala5ka

VX'er
Always great to see another F-Series on here, I'm looking forward to following your build because it sounds like you know what your doing. I'd feel bad beating up that pretty truck, so I'm always thankful for my earlier model, but man you've got some great ideas. Happy Trails

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
thanks, i started running through your build - still reading it!

i wont be beating up anything, i'll be using it for its intended purpose :) whenever i hear something like that i always remember, "If you buy an expensive thing and you never use it, I don't think there's a point to it." -Tom Selleck. i think its a good adage!

i forgot to mention, i ripped out the factory door speakers for some 6x8 Infinity Kappa's for my listening pleasure:

0bcf03b6.jpg

along with getting my bed line-X'd

photo-2.jpg

TKSC01

Adventurer
Nice Truck

Congrats on being a Dad man its the greatest thing EVER! I've got one and one on the way and look forward to a life time of showing my family the mazing scenery of this great nation!

I have also used Fred Goeske in the past. Wonderful man, extremely knowlegable and you can bet that if he made it it is safe and will last. He will not manufacture anything he feels is not right, and that man KNOWS whats right!

SuperCal

Adventurer
Cool rig, I'm looking foward to see what mods you do to it... I have a 2008 pretty similar to yours except for being the 6.5' bed, i just picked up a Four Wheel Camper for it and couldn't be happier.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Congrats on being a Dad man its the greatest thing EVER! I've got one and one on the way and look forward to a life time of showing my family the mazing scenery of this great nation!

I have also used Fred Goeske in the past. Wonderful man, extremely knowlegable and you can bet that if he made it it is safe and will last. He will not manufacture anything he feels is not right, and that man KNOWS whats right!

thanks! i was terrified - i mean absolutely mortified. so much so that i could be considered a coward. but now i couldnt be happier and i cannot wait to have her and show her all the cool things that are here in the world.

my first trip will be at the end of this summer, not too much of an expedition in the sense that i wont be enjoying the sea side by tent but i am driving 700 miles south to Destin Florida. my daughter should be about 7 months old by then - just in time for her to be annoying :D

my first trip that i want to take with her, once she starts comprehending and appreciating everything is on a non-busy weekend to Silver Lake in michigan (where im from) and camp out on the beach.

im glad someone else has heard of Fred Goeske! you're right, he really stands by his products. i actually came to know about him through SpiderTrax. i ran their spacers on my Jeep and had a buddy who ran their Spider9 axles with 300M axle shafts ($16,000 worth of axles) and their quality is outstanding. i went to them asking if they could make me a one off set and they pointed me to Fred.

Cool rig, I'm looking foward to see what mods you do to it... I have a 2008 pretty similar to yours except for being the 6.5' bed, i just picked up a Four Wheel Camper for it and couldn't be happier.

post a pic of your camper in your truck when you get a chance. im not a camper person but id love to see how it looks. they're arnt that many late model F150's on here (surprisingly)

going today to help my brother with his truck (of which he is doing a similar build) and pick up my box from Bilstein. pics tonight!

alexfm

Explorer
I don't know why people have to do this to me. Just when I was perfectly content with my jeep, I have to find something else to lust after. But all kidding aside, you've got a great looking truck, and I love the mods you've done so far. especially that tailight swap. Thats just plain sexy. :sombrero:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
WOW! If you can do that with a new truck I need to get real with my old '99! Bought it new and babied it with 71K miles, but it'stime to use it now. Yours really looks great and those small mods really add up to set it out from the traffic! I will follow yours closely and see if I can get some tips for my old bucket.....and really like the interior of the new ones too! Just a different truck with the same name. Nice!

poriggity

Explorer
Nice truck! I really like those new F150's.. But.. I'm with you on the Raptor, and I can't blame ya for wanting one!
Scott

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
nice truck come check out FORD FULL SIZE , were not that technical yet, mainly because the site has only been on for just over a month, but we're growing fast

thanks, i'll take a look at it

I don't know why people have to do this to me. Just when I was perfectly content with my jeep, I have to find something else to lust after. But all kidding aside, you've got a great looking truck, and I love the mods you've done so far. especially that tailight swap. Thats just plain sexy. :sombrero:

thanks! here is some more eye candy :)

DSC_0036.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0133.jpg

thanks! i cant wait to read it. all i need now is autocad to put my ideas together :D

WOW! If you can do that with a new truck I need to get real with my old '99! Bought it new and babied it with 71K miles, but it'stime to use it now. Yours really looks great and those small mods really add up to set it out from the traffic! I will follow yours closely and see if I can get some tips for my old bucket.....and really like the interior of the new ones too! Just a different truck with the same name. Nice!

it was hard at first with my shiny Jeep, but its true - the first cut is the deepest, after that they're all easy!

Nice truck! I really like those new F150's.. But.. I'm with you on the Raptor, and I can't blame ya for wanting one!
Scott

thanks. at the end of the road the truck will be way better than a raptor and look just as good. but i'll have one of those too one day :)

new struts and shocks!

photo-13.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke