UJOR Build Thread

jjohnny350

Adventurer
I have a 99 E-350 extended 5.4 with Ujoint 6" and 35" toyo MTs. Its my DD, mountain bike shuttle, moving things, towing lighter things, light off road use, and camping rig. Its fine for average activities, it doesnt tow great if its much over 5,000, 6,000 pounds. It will do it but wont really like it. It is nothing like the f150s I have driven, its much slower, I think that the f150 have a better 5.4, seems this one is de-tuned or something. Seems like it should be the other way around with this being so much heavier.
Then again mine is 14 years old, maybe the newer ones are a bit peppier. I would try for a v10 or diesel though, I get around 11-14 regular driving. I took a trip up to Whistler Canada this summer and had 6 bikes, 3 on top laying down, a lot of gear 6 people and I dont think I got any better than 10 tops. It seemed to struggle a bit with that. That was a pretty good amount of weight, but I feel like thats what the one ton is built for. When I do it again I will do the diesel or V10 for that reason, it really struggled with it Maybe with a few little mods might wake it up a bit. Intake, exhaust, light tune. I love the thing, and for 80% of what I use it for its great, but I wish it would tow more and not struggle as much with a bit of weight on it.

derjack

Adventurer
I have a 99 E-350 extended 5.4 with Ujoint 6" and 35" toyo MTs. Its my DD, mountain bike shuttle, moving things, towing lighter things, light off road use, and camping rig. Its fine for average activities, it doesnt tow great if its much over 5,000, 6,000 pounds. It will do it but wont really like it. It is nothing like the f150s I have driven, its much slower, I think that the f150 have a better 5.4, seems this one is de-tuned or something. Seems like it should be the other way around with this being so much heavier.
Then again mine is 14 years old, maybe the newer ones are a bit peppier. I would try for a v10 or diesel though, I get around 11-14 regular driving. I took a trip up to Whistler Canada this summer and had 6 bikes, 3 on top laying down, a lot of gear 6 people and I dont think I got any better than 10 tops. It seemed to struggle a bit with that. That was a pretty good amount of weight, but I feel like thats what the one ton is built for. When I do it again I will do the diesel or V10 for that reason, it really struggled with it Maybe with a few little mods might wake it up a bit. Intake, exhaust, light tune. I love the thing, and for 80% of what I use it for its great, but I wish it would tow more and not struggle as much with a bit of weight on it.

Hi,

it's simple math. if you think your 5.4 was too slow under that conditions and giving the 35" you can figure out how much more torque Chris has with the lower 4.88 compared to your stock (i think it is add you didn't say you changed it) at the wheels!
This can change anything: mpg and speed, both in a positive way.

151fab

Observer
Derjack, it's not too simple... Chris, for example, does not gain more torque by changing to 4.88/1 unless he gives up top speed; he only returns it to the final drive ratio a stock van had but he added more rotating mass along with a bit more cross-section pushing through the wind; both of which rob power. This is why I also asked about the 5 speed trans as you get from stop to top-speed through more gears which equals better leverage for the smaller motor and it may even have a taller final gear and/or shorter first gear. Considering the modular format Ford and others seem to have wisely adopted, I'm assuming that the trans has a common mount pattern and depth across all the ford engine line, similar to the SAE 3. If this is the case and you have to source half the drive-train and split open the 4 speed anyways for the conversion, I would just source an entire five speed trans/transfer and slip it in behind the 5.4.

JJohnny and Chris, thanks for the daily driving and loaded references. This is exactly the info I'm looking for.

I'm pricing a new e350 with v10 but it's hard to pass up all those clean, used e350 w/ 5.4 and <40k miles for around $20k! And I'm in a hurry.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I forgot to mention, the 5R110 did come behind the 5.4 in cab/chassis & cutaway models. So its possible, not sure on the electronics though.

Shlaytim

AZBADAZ
Just wanted to mention that when comparing the van 5.4l vs the F-150 5.4l is that they are not the same motor. The van has a 2 valve head were the F-150 has a 3 valve head. Ford did that to meet EPA standards, so unfortunately the van has less torque and horse power then the F-150. I had both vehicles at one time and always thought the van was under powered compared to the F-150. My brother, a heavy line mechanic for Ford, pointed that out to me. Also the 97-2003 van and F-150 shared the same motor and number of valves, just the intake on the F-150 was taller, making more power and torque. In 2004 the F-150 got 3 valve heads, the vans got stuck with only 2 valve heads. Hope this helps explain why the van seems under powered vs the F-150.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Next Friday (12-6) we're doing a one day conversion on a 2009 E350 6.0. Filming it for a new video, should be fun! I'll post pics to the FB page throughout the day, don't think I'll have time to post here. Wish us luck!

LandyAndy

Adventurer
Hi Chris,

What was the wheel base on V4, looked back through the thread but must have missed it....

Thanks,
Andy

PS... any chance of some in-cab pic's.... please !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94