What type of compressor do you use?

What type of compressor do you use?

• Bargain Portable Compressor (think MV50, Pep Boys, etc.)

Votes: 47 49.0%
  • High Quality Portable Compressor (like the ARB or ExpeditionAire)

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • Smaller Hard-mounted Compressor (like an ARB)

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • High-output hard-mounted Compressor (like an ExtremeAire)

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • Engine Driven Compressor

Votes: 8 8.3%

• Total voters

Scott Brady

Founder
Compressors are one of the most important modifications or accessories for our trucks. I have owned many types, but am curious of what others use and like. In particular, I am curious how many people go with hard mount vs. portable.

I have the little ExpeditionAire and use it all the time with the test vehicles we feature. On my Land Rover, I have the ARB compressor, which is perfect for that truck, its size tires and the fact that it has ARB lockers.

brained

Adventurer
Cheap n nasty for now. I've added a newer model A/C bracket capable of holding a York compressor!

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Hard-mounted Viair 450C with a 2.5 gallon tank. Its a little slower, but it has a 100% duty cycle and is quiet enough to have a conversation next to it. It is also efficient enough to fill up my 265/75R16s on battery alone and leave plenty of power for starting the engine.

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer
I have a Viair 450. I also have an MV-50. I am so satisfied with the performance and convenience of the MV-50 that I haven't remounted the Viair yet. In a perfect world a high quality compressor with allegator battery clamps would work best for me. I have come to love portability.

verticaltrx

Observer
My MV50 has worked great over the past few years. I can air up all 4 of my Q78-15 TSLs on my trail rig from 8 psi to 30psi without a rest or overheating, couldn't really ask for more...

greentruck

Adventurer
HF knockoff of the Viair here. I modded it by adding a regulator and safety valve, as well as standard M type quick connect fittings. Spent about $120 to buy and mod it.

So far, just keeping it stashed with my other recovery/emergency gear. I may mount it and add a tank in the future, but that does reduce it's flexibility a little, since you have to drag a Land Cruiser along with it wherever it goes once it's bolted down.:)

Azlugz

Adventurer
Had a ViAir 450 series and 2.5 gal in the LJ but was slow. Have a Puma now and 6.5 gal that I am hard mounting. Lots faster and I can run air tools. I have a portable also

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Extreme Outback Magnum, 1.5 HP continuous duty, 3 gallon air tank, on board air system.

Cabrito

I come in Peace
MV-50 here since it's use is light duty and infrequent. :(

Same here.

I was at one time going to mount it permanant and have an auxilary air tank. That project never got off the ground so I sold the tank. If I need to go with higher capacity I'd keep the MV50 as a backup and get a C02 tank...

jjohnsonphx

Observer
Built my own out of a mini AC compressor (link below). I can air up 4 33" tires from 12psi to 33psi in 5 min 25 sec. I do have to run the vehicle though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94