What type of compressor do you use?

What type of compressor do you use?

• Bargain Portable Compressor (think MV50, Pep Boys, etc.)

Votes: 47 49.0%
  • High Quality Portable Compressor (like the ARB or ExpeditionAire)

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • Smaller Hard-mounted Compressor (like an ARB)

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • High-output hard-mounted Compressor (like an ExtremeAire)

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • Engine Driven Compressor

Votes: 8 8.3%

• Total voters

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have run Extreme Outback High Output and Magnum on my vehicles and each had a 2 gal tank.
I love the fact that I can air up tires, run air tools, dust off the interior and do a bunch of other stuff with a setup that is always there and ready to roll.

corax

Explorer
HF knockoff of the Viair here. I modded it by adding a regulator and safety valve, as well as standard M type quick connect fittings. Spent about $120 to buy and mod it.

I keep mine portable so I can share or move around as needed. I am keeping an eye out for one of the mini-york compressors that came on some VWs - looks just like the full size York (which I have, but never installed due to its size), but is a bit smaller. I think the mini York comes in 6 or 9 cu.in versus the full size York's 10 cu.in.

mini york on the left - one thread and another thread for a bit more info
miniyork3.jpg

One of the "good" HF compressors (no plastic cover on the cylinder) stays in the back of my 4runner. After buying it 4 yrs ago, I immediately took it apart to port the cylinder head, bypass the on/off switch and change the power cord to 12ga (less voltage drop and a happier motor).

100_2829.jpg

if anyone's interested, here's an excellent write-up on a hybrid HF / MF1050

Last edited:

alexrex20

Explorer
I had the ARB CKMA12 and hated it. I had to warranty it THREE times. I finally got smart and sold the last warranty replacement. Now I'm using a hard-mounted Viair 450C-IG with a 2.5gal tank. Airs up my 33s and powers my lockers more than well enough.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I had the ARB CKMA12 and hated it. I had to warranty it THREE times. I finally got smart and sold the last warranty replacement. Now I'm using a hard-mounted Viair 450C-IG with a 2.5gal tank. Airs up my 33s and powers my lockers more than well enough.

What was failing on it? I've not warrantied three since they came out and I've sold/installed dozens and dozens? Were you using it just to air up or for locker operation too?

Brian1

Observer
I use a Viair 480 200psi compressor hard mounted under the hood with a 2.5 gal. tank in the rear between the frame rails.

jim65wagon

100% duty cycle Viair 330C (the C because it's shiny chrome) and a 2.5 gallon tank, front(behind the grill) and rear(behind the license plate) quick connects.

alexrex20

Explorer
What was failing on it? I've not warrantied three since they came out and I've sold/installed dozens and dozens? Were you using it just to air up or for locker operation too?

the conrod bolt was backing out of the crankshaft. i figure it was my mounting location - under the hood. even though that's one of the most popular locations to mount them, it did not agree with my Pathfinder.

oh well. consider my vehicle a fluke. because as you say, this type of failure is almost unheard of, especially 3 times to the same person. :coffee:

VIAIR 450P-A Portable Air Compressor. I bought it based on the Overland Journal review, which was dead on accurate. I couldn't be happier.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior