Auxiliary fuel tank for 01 Tacoma reg cab

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Check out the shipping... :Wow1:

Fuel filler is on the opposite side as our Tacoma, meaning you'd had to swap exhaust to the other side and have a fuel distribution challenge.... :mad:

Now check out a 15 gal YJ tank and imagine it where your spare tire sits under the bed. Or even a 20 gal XJ tank. Use the OEM in-tank fuel pump as a transfer pump; tie into existing fuel distribution/monitoring lines. Perhaps use one filler neck for both tanks, just as the 80 and 100 series option does or some of the aftermarket manufacturers do... ask me how I know.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard of people using an Isuzu Trooper fuel tank, you can probably pick one up for cheap at the salvage yard.

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Check out the shipping... :Wow1:

Fuel filler is on the opposite side as our Tacoma, meaning you'd had to swap exhaust to the other side and have a fuel distribution challenge.... :mad:

Now check out a 15 gal YJ tank and imagine it where your spare tire sits under the bed. Or even a 20 gal XJ tank. Use the OEM in-tank fuel pump as a transfer pump; tie into existing fuel distribution/monitoring lines. Perhaps use one filler neck for both tanks, just as the 80 and 100 series option does or some of the aftermarket manufacturers do... ask me how I know.

Okay, I'll bite, how do you know?

Explorer
I didn't catch the shipping cost, what was it?

I'm actually going to replace the bed on my truck and build a very compact utility bed with side access storage. The RTT will sit on top so that it isn't above the cab. To make it even better, I'm going to frame in the RTT and cover it with a soft tonneu cover so I can be done with tucking it in and messing with the cover. And just because I can, I will mount the tent to 4 pneumatic air cylinders that raise the tent so I can enjoy having a full size room (T-TOP 1600), off the drivers side where my fridge, stove and pantry are all easy to access from slides on the side.

I'm not too scared about re routing the exhaust because I want to make the most use of space down low. I need to find space for extra fuel, propane, water and batteries, etc... The exhaust is going out the side right after the cab, or possibly up if I can hide a stack.

I want to keep all the heavy things as close to center and low as possible. the added weight of a swing out tire carrier isn't my cup of tea, but perhaps I could integrate the spare right behind the cab between the two rows of boxes on the side.....hmmm

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Okay, I'll bite, how do you know?

I've been planning an auxiliary fuel tank for the last 2 years but other modifications I've executed ranked higher. I've looked at other installations, LC 80 and LC 100 series OEM aux tanks, observed other aftermarket installations, and planned my own with some fabricators. Mocked up the installation with my truck using the tanks I cited; now all that is keeping me from pulling the trigger is T2 - time and treasure - hopefully it will happen winter 2011. I also toyed with the idea of the Long Ranger tanks as an option too, but the size and weight were prohibiting factors, and the potential cost of shipping from Australia. Using a domestically produced tank, either new or used, rather than a complete replacement tank was the least disruptive from an engineering standpoint and the most cost effective (and potentially reproducable) to my estimation. Below is the installation Scott Brady did for his Tacoma a few years ago.

http://www.expeditionswest.com/equipment/tacoma/fuel_tank.html

I didn't catch the shipping cost, what was it?

I'm actually going to replace the bed on my truck and build a very compact utility bed with side access storage. The RTT will sit on top so that it isn't above the cab. To make it even better, I'm going to frame in the RTT and cover it with a soft tonneu cover so I can be done with tucking it in and messing with the cover. And just because I can, I will mount the tent to 4 pneumatic air cylinders that raise the tent so I can enjoy having a full size room (T-TOP 1600), off the drivers side where my fridge, stove and pantry are all easy to access from slides on the side.

I'm not too scared about re routing the exhaust because I want to make the most use of space down low. I need to find space for extra fuel, propane, water and batteries, etc... The exhaust is going out the side right after the cab, or possibly up if I can hide a stack.

I want to keep all the heavy things as close to center and low as possible. the added weight of a swing out tire carrier isn't my cup of tea, but perhaps I could integrate the spare right behind the cab between the two rows of boxes on the side.....hmmm

Shipping cost was like a gajillion AUS dollars! Seriously, I never went so far as to price the cost to move a Long Ranger tank here but I do know that shipping is steep from down under on any products from there, even Blundstone boots (ask me how I know, again). Check out the cost for an annual US subsription to Australian 4WD - $312.00.

After studying the pictures in the web ad that you linked (that I've seen before and pondered studiously) I concluded that it hung down too low to be practical for the trails I've taken. Look at the drive shaft in comparison to the tank... I ended up pranging a prop shaft on a trail and limped home in front wheel drive; I can only imagine the damage the one and only tank would have sustained, and armor to protect it would make "Taco lean" look more like "Taco list."

What I'm looking to do is utilize a single fueling point - the stock filler with likely a brazed on filler tube to the aux tank; OEM in-tank fuel pump as a transfer pump into the main tank; plumb into existing stock evaporative/emissions lines; in-cab transfer switch and aux fuel gauge.

Now my desire is not to modify the body or bed at all. Your design intent is completely different and therefore you're only limited by your performance parameters, design specification, imagination, and resources. That said you can pretty well mount the tank wherever you like if you're willing to move other component systems around. For the overall cost I think a domestically procured, greater than 18 gallon tank might fit the bill for you.

But for an unaltered bed I think distributing the liquid weight to keep a well-balanced load is good sense and why I'm looking at utilizing the former spare tire location. Which is what I thought your orignal intent was 007 - my bust for assuming.

OBTW if you do an exhaust stack I WILL NEVER TALK TO YOU AGAIN - you will be dead to me. Clear?

trump

Adventurist
OBTW if you do an exhaust stack I WILL NEVER TALK TO YOU AGAIN - you will be dead to me. Clear?

:coffeedrink:

Thanks for throwing two other makes of tanks for me to check out. I've been thinking a lot about this lately, and you're looking to do it the same way I was planning.

A recent trip into a 30 mph/gusting 40 mph wind made my already small 18 gal tank seem as if I had a fuel leak. 12 mpg with a 2.7L! :snorkel:

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
:coffeedrink:

Thanks for throwing two other makes of tanks for me to check out. I've been thinking a lot about this lately, and you're looking to do it the same way I was planning.

A recent trip into a 30 mph/gusting 40 mph wind made my already small 18 gal tank seem as if I had a fuel leak. 12 mpg with a 2.7L! :snorkel:

I feel your pain mon frer.

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I don't know what it would be for the Hilux tank, but the TJ tank extended to take advantage of the longer LJ body was going to be about $1000 all in to my door.

TangoBlue

American Adventurist
Wow big difference... on-line a 15 gal metal YJ tank with fuel pump and sending unit is $230.00; for a 20 gal its listed as $240.00.

Albin

Adventurer
Pics of my 26 gallon NOS Blazer diesel aux fuel tank in my 4runner. I had to cut out the spare tire equipment and the rear crossover support and fabricate a replacement. I've heard of a typical F-150 fuel tank being about the same size, so that should work also. Note from the pics below that the tank does not extend below the spring mounts, so it's pretty well protected. This mod does require you to move the spare tire, but since a 35" tire won't fit under anyway, it's no big deal (I carry two full size spares).

The other change I had to make was the rear shock absorbers; I originally had them in the / \ configuration straight above the rear axle, but that didn't work to well. I'm going to return the left shock to it's original location and fab a new mount for the right (since the upper mount is now covered by the aux fuel tank).

When I fabed the aux fuel tank mount, I included an exhaust shield, it's worked pretty well, but I'm going to redo the exhaust system once I have the shocks remounted.

I have my aux fuel tank gravity feed into the main tank via a 3/8" ball valve (McMaster-Carr) and a 3/8" Fram fuel filter then to a NW Metal Products fitting at the bottom of the OEM tank. I only "refuel" while parked and the engine not running, so I haven't had any emissions equipment issues.

Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.JPG_s.jpg
    IMG_0003.JPG_s.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0006.JPG_s.jpg
    IMG_0006.JPG_s.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4105.JPG_s.jpg
    IMG_4105.JPG_s.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 18

trump

Adventurist
Nice! 26 gals no lower than the bottom of your shackles. That's what I was going for. How is your filler setup?

Explorer

That's fair.

Once I said it out loud I cringed and hated myself.

You make a very good point with the OZ tank, it doesn't make any sense to look on the other side of the world when there is plenty right here.

Speaking of sense, how can somebody of such wisdom drive an automatic 4cyl?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier