Internal Sink / faucet setups

dbreid

Adventurer
All,
I am considering adding a small stainless steel sink inside my Suburban. Not something that is designed to slide out the back of the truck... something that Grace can use to wash her face at night, put in contacts, and brush her teeth before falling asleep.

The basic plan is to build a little built in area with more or less a stainless bowl (I know they sell RV sinks and all that) with a faucet, that sucks from a water container inside the truck, on the floorboards.

I know 12V is cool, but I'd prefer to make this one hand pump. I plan to cut a hole in the floor of the truck and run a drain out the bottom (I might eventually make a grey water tank under the truck if I like it, but for now, I would just not put toxic things down the drain). And I hope to have a roughly 10 gallon container in the truck itself.

One thing I am wondering is what faucets have folks used. I have seen the 3-way stuff, but I am looking for more info on how well hand pumps work?

So I need to make the tank airtight? I'd prefer not to, but could.

Thoughts?

-Dan

Mamontof

Explorer
Dan can you afford spend a $ 560 ?

lc1701sl.jpg

lc1701installed.jpg

Any good local Boat dialer should provide you / best on internet (way to many companies )

The best if order from Australia/New Zealand https://www.absolutemarine.co.nz/products/?id=5971

Last edited:

dbreid

Adventurer
Afford and willing are different animals. :)

I don't need the hot water, and I don't want a stove inside the truck. :) But that thing is indeed badarse. Any links to just that type of sink, with a folding faucet and a hand pump? Or really just the folding faucet itself, as I can easily make a stainless sink out of a Bowl for like 5 bucks. :)

The sink itself doesn't worry me. It is the faucet, and the requirements of a hand pump?

-Dan

Mamontof

Explorer
D

Deleted member 9101

Home depot and lowes sell really sell single basin "bar" sinks rather cheaply. Or you could cut a drain hole in a stainless steel mixing bowl and use it ;-)

Terrainist

Explorer
I'm in the same boat, need a simple sink. Going to go the stainless mixing bowl route, Walmart $13 for an 8 quart. It's maybe a foot across and a foot deep. They have smaller sizes. Then get a chrome hand pump faucet from Camping World, $30.

The stainless bowl is deep enough and wide enough to wash a dish in. It's brushed stainless so it looks good and is durable. Going to make it removable from the 'counter top' with finger holes on the sides, then just dump it in a 5 gallon bucket positioned underneath, have a lid for the bucket so it's not open all the time. Eventually I'll run a drain, either to the bucket or the outside, or both.

As mentioned, Lowe's/Home Depot, "small" stainless bar sink. Small is relative, might be too big for you -- $80 plus.

dbreid

Adventurer
OK, I should perhaps clarify my question. :)

Question: What hand pump faucet should I use, and will I have to seal the tank that it draws water from.

Ignore the basin part. That part is a known commodity. :)

But I am loving the links thus far!

Mamontof

Explorer

Terrainist

Explorer
Oh, one thing about not having a drain in the sink, and if it's a mixing bowl -- a person might be able to put it on the stove for minute or two, warm up the water. Might warp it though, I don't know. I'm going to try it, see if it works.

Terrainist

Explorer
Sealing the tank.. it has to have some way of equalizing pressure as water is drawn out of it. If your using a jug of sorts with a hose in it, should work fine. If your concern is having water 'at the pump', the lever is pushed down and water is there all the time... the pump is sealed so that water is always there, or so they say.

corax

Explorer
I know you said you're now interested in 12V, is it because of wiring & taking up space or cost? Just saying, there are alot of old RVs in junkyards with 12V water pumps (last one I got at the Pick-N-Pull, the cashier didn't know what it was and only charged $5)

dbreid

Adventurer
I know you said you're now interested in 12V, is it because of wiring & taking up space or cost? Just saying, there are alot of old RVs in junkyards with 12V water pumps (last one I got at the Pick-N-Pull, the cashier didn't know what it was and only charged $5)

Has nothing to do with space or cost. I have built my platform and setup to be modular and removable in parts. For example, I have a rear platform that will work with or without the second row of seats. A center platform that will work with or without the rear. A center "console" that bolts in assuming you have the middle one in. A fridge setup that can be added or taken out depending on the type of trip.

So I want to make this as modular as I can, and given the small amount of water (I am thinking less than 10 gallons, perhaps) I don't really need or want to run wires given that it is all removable. If I am unhappy with the pump, of course, then I'll switch to 12v. :) But my general rule is to only wire things that will stay in the truck in any configuration.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94