Scottsdale to Prescott

3konas

Observer
Hey you Arizonians! If you were to bike from Scottsdale to Prescott in Feb. what route would you take? What are the chances of snow being a problem? I'm making my annual pilgrimage to West World for a horse show, sun, shorts and warm weather riding. Granted, north of Phoenix won't be warm in February. I had a quick glance at the map and it appears options are few but I was hoping for some local knowledge. I have never been to Prescott and I want to check it out this trip. Thanks for your help!

Cheers!
Brent

Scott Brady

Founder
There is a great route, taking FR24 (North of Carefree) up to Bloody Basin, then up on the rim and west over I-17 to Mayer. Then you turn west towards Pine Flat and the Goodwin Site. Then you will turn north and to the Senator Highway and ultimately end right in downtown Prescott. . . It is nearly all dirt (99%)

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Scott's route does sound like fun. There's really only one paved route, but it is a pretty nice ride. I've done most of it. From Scottsdale, you can ride north by McDowell Mt. Park, then to the Carefree Hwy, over towards Lake Pleasant, Wickenburg, then up through Wilhoit to Prescott. There's a few good humps to climb, but it's really an attractive route.

Elvota

Observer
Just another option... what about finding your way from lake Pleasant up the back way to Crown King?

There probably is nit a rockier, steeper route between Scottsdale and Prescott, but once at Crown King you could stay the night at a hotel if that sounds fun. Past Crown King the road would be much more reasonable.

I have never ridden this way, but driven it many times.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Scottsdale to Carefree
Carefree to 7 Springs
7 springs to Bloody Basin
Bloody Basin to Bumble Bee
Bumble Bee to the front road to Crown King
Crown King to Senator Highway
Senator Highway to Prescott

Very do-able on a mountain bike and scenic, 99% dirt

3konas

Observer
When I was mapping expeditionswest recommendation I noticed the two options that you (LandCruiserPhil) and Elvota provided. Crown King sounds like it would be nice to see and I would assume traffic at this time of year to be lite? It appears I have some great options, thank you.

Will I find the FS roads washboarded? I'm bringing two bikes to Arizona, mtn and a cyclocross bike and not sure which I will use for this ride, recommendations? Not sure how long I will stay in Prescott, a day or two, so with the mountain bike I could sample a trail or two I've been hearing so much about. Looking forward to the sun! Thanks for your responses.

Brent

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Brent, I'v ridden the section between Crown King and Prescott on my cyclocross bike several times. That's actually my preferred bike for that ride even though it can be a tad bumpy. It's the longer descents that are the most bumpity and hard on your body on a 'cross bike. I think the section from Lake Pleasant to Crown King would be nasty on a cyclocross bike.

The one issue may be snow/ice in the upper reaches of the Bradshaw Mts. My guess is, given we still have a few patches of ice around 6,000 feet near town, the higher sections by Mt. Union would likely be snow covered or icy. There's also a small section near Palace station that's really tucked away and it too can be icy or snow choked for a mile or more. The ride from Crown King to Prescott is not really hard on its own, but throw in a couple miles of ice and mud and it could get labor intensive quickly. If there's chance of wet road, cross tires are slooow and hard to roll, even when it's not "muddy." On a mtb, no problem.

I think even in the very best of conditions, a one-day ride on that route from Scottsdale wouldn't be an epic day. It would probably be a 15-18 hour ride. Ouch.

3konas

Observer
That's what I was concerned about, it is February after all. Not being familiar with the area and having no idea if hike a bike section of snow I just encountered is quarter mile or ten, is nice information to know.

I have a little over a week before I arrive so hopefully Scottsdale's 20 degree lows will be no more. While there I sleep in a horse stall to keep watch over the horses. I may need to pack long underwear and a warmer bag, not part of the plan. Shorts, sun and long leisure days in the saddle, that's the plan.

Thanks for the sharing your knowledge Flounder, much appreciated.

Cheers,
Brent

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94