Pajero Mk1 Tourer build-up

Cruisn

Adventurer
Well where to start, I have decided to put the wagon on jack stands for a bit to redo a few things. well a lot of things. since its not a daily driver any more I have more time to perfect my setup and wiring. haha.

I got the garage cleaned out today and ready for the rework to begin:

I just need to pick up a 5" grinder and a welder and I shall be good to go for all future projects.

so far on the list of rework:
All wiring - complete strip and redo
front sway bar couplings need fixing
replace all bent steering parts
redo fuel tank lines
replace all rubber brake lines

that is the small list so far. its much bigger. lol

started by removing my bumpers:
rear came off easy enough, half the bolts snapped as they had rusted. so that will require a rethink.

Front bumper, not so luck, the nuts have busted there tack welds on the inside of the frame rail so I cant actually get it off without a grinder. but that will be sorted soon enough.

But I did get the headlights and grill surround stripped and both batteries removed.

I know a lot are wondering why so much lvoe for this wagon, or why keep working on it. I guess I get attached to wagons. lol. this girl has got me across the country an some very cool places. and since nothing is interchangable with any other model I would lose heaps of coin starting on a new rig. and if I were to sell it, I would be lucky to get 1500 for it, due to dents (character) and small flaws ( more character) and it qwerks when trying to start it ( more character then even I can handle)

so tune in for the reworking of the wagon, should be good. few mods will be added, stuff that was pointless will be lost.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Not a lot going on as of yet with the rig, prepping for some big plans, she will be up on jack stands for a few moths I figure. the roads are hard on her and she needs a slight bit of work.

I will post a video of our last offroad trip when mate gets it done, but for now all I can tell you is that I had some issues,
front auto hub failed - wear and tear, didnt explode or anything, jsut nicked the little engagment tab off
bent front link bar... again.. going to remake this out of 4140 i think
alternator packed with mud and no longer works
blew a brake line - replacements ordered for the whole wagon.

Man, I love your Mk1! :) Makes me miss mine (fargo brown '89)! ;)

What's causing the link bar to keep bending...is it because of a BJ flip or something?

And is there a source that you know of for SS braided lines, or did you just get new OE lines? I'm thinking of getting some made, with a little extra length...

Keep the pics and stories coming! :)

Cruisn

Adventurer
Man, I love your Mk1! :) Makes me miss mine (fargo brown '89)! ;)

What's causing the link bar to keep bending...is it because of a BJ flip or something?

And is there a source that you know of for SS braided lines, or did you just get new OE lines? I'm thinking of getting some made, with a little extra length...

Keep the pics and stories coming! :)

I have opted jsut for stock rubber lines, if the old ones lasted this long, new ones should be fine.

as for the link bar... well I may have dropped into a slippery mud hole ad with 33's there is a lot of pressure that has to go soewhere. and that bar is the weak point on mine.

Thanks for the comments on the wagon. more to come!!

Cruisn

Adventurer
Yes, they are a 33x10.5 tyre. Riding on a -22 offset wheel to really get them pushed out. Zero clearance issues as moat run a 12.5" tyre with the same offset.

we18fi

Observer
this god dam european union bull**** has been the worst time in all of finlands history ...............
there are pre E U time pajeros with 32-35´s.

Really? You can fit 32's w/out any modifications to a gen I other than the possible need to ever so slightly (~2-3mm) trim the front rubber bumper ends.

GFO

Observer
Yes the mounts were done by me. they have been on there for over 2 years without issues.

I wish I had your fab skills.

I noticed that you mentioned your alternator dying due to mud intrusion. I used to own a 1995 Cadillac Deville and it had a water-cooled alternator. While I don't think it's outright waterproof, as it still had a few small openings in the back of the casing, it was for the most part an enclosed unit. With your mechanical knowledge/skills, wondering if this could be made to fit to your rig as it would likely take care of future mud issue.

Now the issue of how reliable are GM parts and the cost of the unit and extra modifications, that's up to you :)

Cruisn

Adventurer
Bit more work done today,

Pulled about 60% of the electrical out, it was rough. haha. well msot was good but a few buts were last minute additions rushed to get on the road. so now it can all be done properly with no rush to complete it. I also pulled the center gauge cluster to install some more auber gauges for oil pressure and coolant temp. go for a clean install look.

Brought home a grinder, cut the last of the bolts holding the bull bar on, also cut the roo lights off, as the bolts had siezed. bit of work to sort out with that, not sure if I will ditch them for a smaller light of better quality as these really shake on the road.

Love the look, with the front end stripped.

Will be on the hunt for some bigger jack stands so I can pull the front and rear diff for rebuilding. lots of work to get it back to spec. but its worth it.

Cruisn

Adventurer
Sundays work:

Were to start, today was a clean and tear down day, I was going to tackle the trany but instead ended up jsut draining all the oil and then begain tearing into to cooling system.
I am finding a few issues that for sure as I tear deeper and deeper into her. poor girl was getting tired. mind you all the parts i orginally used were used. so I guess I cant overly complain.

I noticed my oil cooler has started to split around the bolt, so that will need to be replaced with an aftermarket setup. I will see what I can find in the future, is anyone running an aftermarket cooler?

Next after removing the fan I noticed the bolt holes on my pulley were elongated, I know what caused this though. so I will jsut find a new replacement part for that.

I swear these roads are rough as hell on this poor wagon. I found cracks in the body around where my second battery sits, now this is a tricky one, as the replacement battery tray that is aftermarket actaully holds a smaller battery and I have opted to deal with the close tolerances and fit another n70zz battery. so what i will be doing is welding a fish plate to the inner fender well to take the weight better, nothing to serious. jsut another repair I didnt want to deal with. I should start a list soon....

Why do pajeros have front bash plates? to stop you from doing this to the front sway bar, a good hit allowed it to work loose. i knew of the issue before hand but jsut threw some good bushes on and figured it would hold till I could tear it apart and reweld it. wrong, corrugations on the last trip sorted that issue out for me right quick.

Most everything that can be removed from the front end has been pulled off. and there was a ton of mud in those areas. so i suggest people do a good job of spraying those corners.

Since there is quite a bit of welding and repainting I would like to sort out, I am atthe point now where its going to be way easier to do all this work with the engine out of the rig. Saves me trying to struggle, and that means I will half-*** it again. whihc is what I want to avoid.

Overall, I am happy with the progress and the damage I am finding does not suprise me at all as I some of it I was aware of and other bits are jsut needing a freshen up from the flogging. after its sorted though I doubt it will see much hardcore 4wding, jsut trips and long range touring. I need to get a little toy for the tough stuff as that is where most of my damage originated from.

SoCalMonty

Explorer
Nice work so far! I'm sure she'll appreciate the reconditioning. :) Do you guys have wrecking yards out there? I'd probably just try to source another OEM oil cooler, only because it can sometimes be pretty expensive to get the adapter fittings to run an aftermarket cooler. I can't remember the banjo bolt size, but I want to say it's M14x1.5 or M16x1.5. Though, if you're going aftermarket, you'll probably go all the way back and delete the steel lines all together (another reason I haven't done it yet, I have too much going on as it is!). Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles