Fuel storage.. without a rack or tire carrier

I am building up a 1st gen 4runner with a FP.. I am wondering where everyone is storing their fuel..

I have seen the aux tanks that go where the spare goes.. but.. thats where my spare is..and I have also seen the type that mount above the spare pushing your spare lower.. but I dont want that much hanging down at the rear of my 4runer.. so that is a no go..

I have seen the fuel cas on the rear tire carrier.. but I dont have one.. nor do I want to buy or build one. I would like to keep the weight of my rig properly distributed.

I cant carry them on a roof rack due to the flippac.. so.. what are some other options?

I had an idea of getting an old factory tank from a junkyard and slapping it on the driver side, and just having 2 tanks, but I am open to other options.

Someone on here made a pretty cool hitch rack for holding his spare, hi lift, and an ammo can. I can't find it right now, but that could easily be modified to hold a couple jerry cans. It was basically just an "L" that stuck up behind the tailgate with mounts for all the stuff on it. Simple and cool.

stevo

Observer
Many years ago I had a 1980 4x4 Toy long bed; I too was unhappy with my limited amount of fuel (I believe it was 16 gal.) so I mounted an after market aux tank under the bed and moved the spare up into the bed right above the rear axel. I then went to the local wrecking yard and got a stock tank for a similar Toyota, had some new brackets made for it, and hung it on the opposite side. Put in the proper valves and was very happy with it. The after market tank was a gravity feed system into my stock tank so I had real good balance and weight distribution. The only down side was the re-routing of my exhaust system.
Cheers, Stevo

I will need to be able to get in and out of the rear of the 4runner(preferably with minimal effort) so the rear rack is not the best option. although It is a viable one. I still need a place to store my firewood also.

Stevo... are you saying you had 3 fuel tanks?!?! thats a grip of fuel.

If i had the room i'd like to do one fuel and one water. but until I get myself another way to carry my spare i'll suffice with dual fuel tanks...

I am already going to need to reroute my exhaust due to a rusted out muffler, and the last portion bumps where my spare goes..

I think i'll just to a shorty muffler and dump right after the back of the cab. or go outside the frame rails possibly..

corax

Explorer
FWIW, here's mine with a 1" body lift and OME Dakar rear springs - no loss in departure angle, not much loss in rear clearance from the NWMP aux tank
100_4355.jpg

I also opted to build the system with an electric transfer pump which has worked out really well for me. I recommend doing it this way to prevent having to put a brass fitting on the bottom of the gas tank (which might get sheared off).

corax

Explorer
I think i'll just to a shorty muffler and dump right after the back of the cab. or go outside the frame rails possibly..

Also, no matter how you decide to route your exhaust, I would highly recommend having the exhaust dump outside the perimeter of the vehicle body. These trucks weren't airtight when new, so any hot exhaust gases under the truck will find its way into the cabin if you're driving slow or stopped

stevo

Observer
Yeah, I could carry a good amount of fuel; the after market tank fit real close to the underside of the bed (had to remove the spare tire winch assy.) I think it held about 10 gal. of gas. I really don't remember as it was a long time ago-mid 1980's. The truck was kinda modified: replaced the 20R engine with a 22R but kept the 20R hemi-head, offy dual-plane intake/redline weber carb, tri-y header and cust. exhaust which dumped out just behind the door. The truck itself was made in Dec.'79 as an '80 mdl. and I believe it had 4.37 gears which they didn't do for very long. I had Gleasons put in the front and back and it would go just about anywhere..about 1988 I replaced the 4spd. with a 5spd. out of an Sr5 (I think), major project-shorten front drive shaft and lengthen the rear one, modify the floor pan to make it fit, the upside: lower gearing. One problem though-no smog equip. made it tough to keep registered here in California.
Sorry for reminescing, it was a great truck a long time ago. Broke my heart to have to get rid of it.
Cheers, Stevo

FWIW, here's mine with a 1" body lift and OME Dakar rear springs - no loss in departure angle, not much loss in rear clearance from the NWMP aux tank
100_4355.jpg

I also opted to build the system with an electric transfer pump which has worked out really well for me. I recommend doing it this way to prevent having to put a brass fitting on the bottom of the gas tank (which might get sheared off).

what size tire is that?

I am running 32x10.5 r15's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke