Replacement shocks for worn OE types

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Gentlemen,

I'm in the market for new shocks for my wifes 99 Explorer, while it doesn't see the action the 4Runner does it still is important to me in the way it drives. I did add a helper spring to the rear for when we travel with her vehicle or she's hauling test kits. The OE shocks are worn and the ride is starting to suffer. I was interested to see if OME offered stock replacement shocks or perhaps even Bilstein would work. What does everyone else run on their not so expo rigs?

Aaron

chasespeed

Explorer
You hit it... Look for OME, or Bilstsein...

I love Bilstein... and run the hell out of them... love them... I run the 5100, or 5150s... The regular HD ones are great too....

OME, I have never used myself, BUT, tons of people rave about them... never heard a complaint myself....

There is one from Monroe, just dont remember the name....

You want a Monotube shock... that is the key.

Chase

zags

Bilstein is by far the best without going to a custom shock. You can't go wrong with the 5100 or the 5150.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Bilsteins. I don't believe you'll find the 5100s as they are for lifted or leveled applications. Instead you'll find the HD bilsteins which work great on that platform. Ran them on my 98 Ranger for years. A little firmer than stock but comfortable and well controlled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles