The baja Bucket 1st Gen 4runner build.

rob2thec

This build started about 2 years ago. I have had an affinity for Toyotas for years, having raced and worked on them for almost 10 years. Awesome, strong, and reliable as the rising sun.

I Purchased this 1987 4-runner two years ago from a guy on craigslist. I was looking for an SR5 5 speed, 22re, but with all the power luxuries, and of course A.C. The origninal asking price was $2k but I was able to get it for $1500. It was rough around the edges, but I knew I was going to resto-mod it to my likings.

The overall goal with this 4-runner was to build a capable, IFS truck that I could use for expedition as well as chasing and pre-running for our class 7 Toyota truck. In Baja, Nevada, and Lucern valley. I plan on one day driving this to Costa Rica and back.

Here is how she stands now:
IMG_1266.jpg

As soon as I got her home I immediately went to work on the motor. It was running poorly and very rough. The P.O. had just installed a new head, so this was the plan:

Timing chain
Plugs
Cap
Rotor
Plug wires
fix some leaks
PVC
New vacuum lines
Flush all fluids and replace
Fix some hokie wiring
Water pump
Starter
Alternator
New belts

Basically going through it mechanically.

Started like this:
IMG_0547.jpg

hokie wiring:
IMG_0544.jpg

no heat:
IMG_0542.jpg

After we got started we figured out that the motor was no good, in addition it was the wrong block for the year. It had the older 22re with the taller deck hight. So we pulled it, went to the junk yard and got a good block. I sent that motor out to get rebuilt by a reputable shop in Long Beach.

out with the old:
IMG_0734.jpg

After some serious cleaning and many trips to the junk yard to find parts:
IMG_0827.jpg

I added the engnbldr head, and a .261 cam for a little better bottom end.
IMG_0749.jpg

A little better:
IMG_1202.jpg

Suspension:

The goal was to get as much as I could out of the stock IFS system. I have had long travel vehicles in the past but really wanted a simple and efficent "stock" system.

So we decided to build an upper control arm and utilize a uniball. I also converted the stock lower ball joint to uniball. Had everything sandblasted and powder coated.

IMG_1329.jpg

All new with V6 calipers to boot!
IMG_1786.jpg

manuel locking hubs too!
IMG_1774.jpg

For the rear I have a set of deavers, and a downey shackle. I will be utilizing fox 2.0 10 inch remote reservoir shocks for the rear and as well as the front. the front will also be getting a Downey torsion bar.

The suspension is going to be installed this weekend. It is currently at California Mini Trucks getting new 4:88 gears installed, the rear axle rebuilt, fine tuning on the timing (been driving me nuts) heat and A.C. fixed as well as a few gremlins I was not able to trace out myself.

Interior:

I added some neosupream seat covers by car king
IMG_1166.jpg

Pulled the interior out and cleaned as much as possible. I think the P.O. must have been a carpenter there was tons of saw dust, nails, and construction trash in every little nook and cranny.

IMG_1163.jpg

Tuffy center console:
IMG_1172.jpg

Pressur washed the carpets:
IMG_1168.jpg

Then two layers of dynomatte:
IMG_1388.jpg

IMG_1386.jpg

I then took it to a friends shop for the stereo install.

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1348.jpg

IMG_1353.jpg

Old B.S. wiring;
IMG_1355.jpg

We redid the whole dash harness, so many of the wires were rotted and spliced. The P.O. had TWO radio harnesses in there?
All cleaned and buttoned up!~
IMG_1360.jpg

Rear folcal 6x9
IMG_1370.jpg

Front focal components
IMG_1372.jpg

Blue tooth!!
IMG_1366.jpg

The best part is the alarm, keyless entry, and had the truck release wired to roll down the rear window. So useful!!

That about it for now. I get the truck back this week, then I will update the suspension install. After that on to paint and body. w00t!

Thanks for looking!

4runnin'

Observer
Awesome work! Love that you're gettin right after it! Keep the posts coming!

Side question: let me know how the interior noise is with the dynamat installed...I'm looking into some sort of sound deadening for my runner right now...

N8URE2

Adventurer
lookin good, this is exactly what I'm hoping to do with a 1st gen 4runner or possibly FJ60/62 in the next year or so. I really want to go with the 4runner due to the 4cyl, slightly smaller size, and the ability to remove the top on occasion.
subscribed, keep up the good work!

864runner

Hey I love the 4runner! I just bought my 3rd 1st gen 4runner and found a good one! I'll post pics later when I get home but as for suspension I used a an OEM kit with one helper spring in the rear for the weight of all the gear. I am running 31.10.5 bfg with stock gearing and it does great. I have been planning an expedition all over baja for the past six months and was wondering when you were planning on going? I was looking to go this summer sometime and was wondering if you possibly wanted to team up? This will be my first expedition and I cannot contain my excitement!!!!!:wings::wings::wings::wings::wings:
Lemme know if you are intersted BTW great job with the truck! I've done about a quarter of what you have in the past six months, great work!

Here is my truck after i first got it and camo'd it. This is before the oem lift and tires. http://lh3.ggpht.com/_EQmM-b4Yh1k/TUCFg1OLyBI/AAAAAAAAAM8/ej8B7hKYCIs/s800/IMAG0079.jpg

Last edited:

Owyhee H

Adventurer
1st gens.....

Nice runner....keeping it nice clean and stock is always best for reliability.

I am also planning on a Baja trip this year. I will be headed down the beginning of April if either of you are headed down at that time.

rob2thec

Thank you guys for all of the positive comments! It has been a labor of love.

There will be some updates in the next week or so :bike_rider:

As for the mentioned Baja trip. I would enjoy meeting fellow Baja fans on this trip. However work is going solid for the next few months. I am hoping to head down around July August sometime. (I know it is in the middle of the insane heat) But I do have all of the coastal (pacific) sections of the race course and access roads on the GPS so that we can stay close to the Pacific and out of the heat.

I also have friends in Todos Santos! W00t!!

Surfing a lot will be a MUST!

Toyotero

Explorer
Great work bringing that 4Runner back from the brink, it looks like it was destined for the junker with that wiring and maintenance (rusted away heater valve piece?). It's coming together nicely, I look forward to more info/photos.

Last edited:

rob2thec

Great work bringing that 4Runner back from the brink, it looks like it was destined for the junker with that wiring and maintenance (rusted away heater valve piece?). It's coming together nicely, I look forward to more info/photos.

Yes it was on its way to the scrap yard. It has been frustration but also very rewarding tracking down all of the little OEM parts that are no longer made.

The heater valve I got to replace the rusted unit came from back east. Yotatech has helped a lot. California Mini Trucks has also helped a bunch with getting odd parts here and there.

I should have the truck back this week from the shop. Then to paint, line-X, suspension install, and new wheels and tires.

So pumped to get this rig back n the road.

rob2thec

Awesome work! Love that you're gettin right after it! Keep the posts coming!

Side question: let me know how the interior noise is with the dynamat installed...I'm looking into some sort of sound deadening for my runner right now...

The interior is MUCH Quieter! Before I could hardly hear when talking on the phone with my head set, and people had a hard time hearing me. Now no issues at all! Helps so much.

I will also be having the rear cargo area sprayed with Line-x so that should help more as well.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
WOW... Beutiful work you're doing there mate. Glad to see a great old truck get some new life eh (course I'm a BIT biased towards 1st Gen Runners... IMO they're one of the coolest 4wd's that were ever brought into the US/Canada).

I need to do nearly EVERYTHING you're doing although my body/drivetrain were in immaculate shape when bought, the interior is not as well kept. I espescialy like the interior sound deadening, between the bad window wether striping and chanel seals and the wing windows it get's pretty noisy at highway speeds eh ;)

I notice you mention re-wiring the rear gate. if you haven't done it wlready (didn't quite get what exactly what you did from your post) I'd HIGHLY suggest jumping the control box pins behind the divers seat so the rear window can be rolled down even when the trucks not on. Look up 4Crawler (rodger brown's) web-site and there's a great little, simple, how to in there. For sleeping in the back of the rig, this has been one of THE best mods I've done for accesibility.

Keep up the good work and Keep the pics coming, it's really helping motivate me right now to go clean up MY rig eh :D

Cheers

Dave

rob2thec

For the rear window what I did was install a module for the alarm. On the alarm FOB there is a trunk release option, I have that option wired so that it will roll the window up and down remotely. Sort of like having full power.

So when sleeping in the back all I have to do is hold down the button on the alarm FOB and the window will roll up or down without the car having to be on.

Works awesome and helps so much when you have things to throw in the back and your hands are full.

Truck is STILL at Cal mini but I am being told it will be done this week. I cant wait to get it to paint and Line-x.

Then Suspension install w00t!

-R

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
For the rear window what I did was install a module for the alarm. On the alarm FOB there is a trunk release option, I have that option wired so that it will roll the window up and down remotely. Sort of like having full power.

So when sleeping in the back all I have to do is hold down the button on the alarm FOB and the window will roll up or down without the car having to be on.

Works awesome and helps so much when you have things to throw in the back and your hands are full.

Truck is STILL at Cal mini but I am being told it will be done this week. I cant wait to get it to paint and Line-x.

Then Suspension install w00t!

-R

Oh, I see, that's a clever idea eh. Sounds like it'll work great. Can't wait to see more progress on this sweet old truck. I was reading this thread while my truck was on jack stands as I was replacing the clutch and Master Cylinder... ade me miss my truck even more eh. Waht suspension are you going with??? A Long Travel front right, but what rear springs??? I gotta say after fully falling in LOVE with Old Man Emu on all the Cruisers I ran in Australia I'm SO happy to have thier suspension under my truck now, and I think when/if I get around to the SAS, I'm goign to utilize the same rear springs up front for ease of replacement should the need arise. Might even source some longer OME's for the back and use my current rear up front but that's a ways off eh.

Cheers

Dave

rob2thec

Hey Dave,

For the rear suspension I built my own "Mid-travel" system. Stock lower arms and spindles with a tubular upper arm that will allow for more up and down wheel travel. I also converted the lower ball joint to a uniball so that the whole thing will cycle more efficiently.

I will post more pictures of it compared to the stock units when I get into the install of the suspension.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior