Introduction and My Ford Fiberine Super Camper build

smugdoug

Hey guys, First time posting here, wanted to introduce myself and my project. I have a 2006 Ford E350 EB Cargo Van with the V-10. Installed Chris's 6" 4X4 Conversion a few months back. And if you don't already know this, Chris is awesome to work with when doing a 4X4 conversion, a true professional!

The next Stage is going to be installing a Fiberglass Camper top from Fiberine called the "Super Camper". I will do a mild build out, insulate, bed, etc., and gradually add things as I figure things out.

If anyone has experiences they could share about similar builds that would be appreciated greatly. I've searched around a little and only found one other van that had a similar top install. I will be attaching the top myself and could use some pointers. I've found out that the install that Fiberine does may not be what I want, so I'm looking for pointers on hardware, sealants, and any secrets that may exist.

So far I know that the top is a Reverse Flange design. Black Butyl tape is what I want between the top and metal. Finish the exterior seem with white silicone. I had someone recommend to me to use carriage bolts to attach the top maybe 3-4 per side. I don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but I was thinking that I could attach a 10" wide piece of ply around the inside on top of the flange(thickness?)in combination with the carriage bolts, and this would allow me to rest my bed platform(s) on top of. I guess I need some pics I of how others have done this.

Fiberine has recommended that I have them put a sheet of plywood in the top it case I add a rack. From what I've seen, racks are typically attached to the side of the top, so is there any other reason to add the plywood? Strength? I would like them to glass in some pine strips, one down the middle and the other two closer to the sides, as to make it easier when I attach my Luan and fabric over the insulation.

Couple of pics, one of the current state and one of what it should look like when installed!

Attachments

• Camper Van 017.jpg
    Camper Van 017.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 274
  • Camper Van 017a.JPG
    Camper Van 017a.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 855
Last edited:

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Good to see you on ExPo!!! The van will look great with that top, look forward to seeing it.

brettf

Adventurer
Please, please, please post details when you put this top on. You're doing exactly what I'm thinking of with my (nearly identical) van.

Would you also please post up details of actual fuel economy before and after you install the top? I have the V10 as well and I'm concerned about mileage with a top.

See what happens when you post cool ******** on expo? People make requests of you :)

Van looks great - thanks for posting.

Last edited:

smugdoug

No Problem brettf, I'll get some pics posted. I'll do my best with fuel mileage. The van doesn't get driven on the freeway much right now but I'll see what I can do.

BajaBus

Adventurer
That top will really make your van, Doug! If you're ever out this way, please let me know and we can meet over at 4Wheel Parts and take some pics, or better yet, we can head out to Anza-Borrego. :sombrero:

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
That top will really make your van, Doug! If you're ever out this way, please let me know and we can meet over at 4Wheel Parts and take some pics, or better yet, we can head out to Anza-Borrego. :sombrero:

Best to meet up at 4 Wheel Parts and all of us head to Anza Borrego... just sayin!

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Im anxious to see what the high tops will do to mileage - granted the gas will likely be different than the diesel, but approximating the drop will help make the decision. The more I look at them the more I like the simplicity of the fixed roof, but the popup will be back under consideration if I'm going to lose notable fuel economy

dsw4x4

Adventurer
Depending on the height and style, motor and gearing it seems to range between 1 to 3 mpg drop when installing a raised roof. It really seems to make the biggest difference driving across windy areas (kansas) with a gasser. Around town not much difference at all. Hwy driving is the only place you will notice it.

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
Depending on the height and style, motor and gearing it seems to range between 1 to 3 mpg drop when installing a raised roof. It really seems to make the biggest difference driving across windy areas (kansas) with a gasser. Around town not much difference at all. Hwy driving is the only place you will notice it.
Does it make a big difference in crosswinds or are these heavy enough to stay planted in its own lane? Driving through whitewater/palm springs my van is pretty stable despite the heavy winds in the area (thus the hundreds of windmills along the freeway)

dankine

Fiber top

I'm surprise you guys never talk about using 16'' top insted of a 24'' and drop a section of the van floor ''à la RoadTrek''.

Dan

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I'm surprise you guys never talk about using 16'' top insted of a 24'' and drop a section of the van floor ''à la RoadTrek''.

Dan

please 'splain - I'm completely familiar with the RoadTrek and any type of drop floor. I'm at a disadvantage anyway as the height of myself and son would need closer to a 30"-34" top to be able to stand inside.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
FWIW... Many years ago helped a friend with a fiberglass top install. He had a bed in the rear of the van and didn't cut the van's steel ceiling out under the bed. I assumed he did this to add strength. He also kept about 12" of the van's steel ceiling in the front for storage. It was all trimmed out and none of the steel ceiling showed.

My current Rig also has the complete cutaway steel ceiling in place.

5575_1188362873792_1369941973_524615_7533551_n.jpg

dankine

16'' top and drop floor

Hy,

Well at my height 5' 11''. I stand up no problem into a RoadTrek 190 built on a Dodge B350. I'm planning a E350 built next year and this is the route I would take. You should check out a RT 190 from up close. My rig is a Falcon 190 with a 30'' hi-top. I find it hight and top heavy. Not always fun to drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior