New bike: my first airhead, classic R80 G/S

WU7X

Snow on the Roof
The perfect bike!

What a beauty! Looks like it just left the showroom. Congrats on snagging it.

I have been trying to talk Jonathan to come up to Ellensburg, WA, in July for the Expo Rallye. I plan on going and then riding the WABDR with some friends right after that.

Why don't you and your hubby give the R80 and "scrambler" a workout and join us up here?

Wish I could make it to AZ in April and finally meet the two of you.

Dale

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
What a beauty! Looks like it just left the showroom. Congrats on snagging it.

I have been trying to talk Jonathan to come up to Ellensburg, WA, in July for the Expo Rallye. I plan on going and then riding the WABDR with some friends right after that.

Why don't you and your hubby give the R80 and "scrambler" a workout and join us up here?

Wish I could make it to AZ in April and finally meet the two of you.

Dale

Thanks Dale, we hope you can make it some time! July will see us a bit further south this year but thanks for the invitation!

HiLift Jack

Adventurer
Rose

Try to keep this new bike on a diet, they are German and demand a lot of potatoes and beer. Mine was like yours and I was in love and well little by little I lost the battle of the bulge. We still laugh and have great times but she is no little lady any longer. Meet the beluga.

1147880705_wTJ9N-L.jpg

Shalom

Juan

DesertRose

Jake that's amazing transformation!

What a beauty. Beer and potatoes indeed! I know I keep saying I want to keep it stock, I really do.

Here's a measure of how serious I am.

All my other vehicles and motos end up with SOME sort of big-spotted-cat print somewhere on them (leopard print tire cover, center console cover, and my Honda even has a little leopard print tool roll). But I have no urge to do so on the BMW, it would be so wrong on a German machine!

See? Jonathan will faint when he hears this.

Adventurerider

Adventurer
Try to keep this new bike on a diet, they are German and demand a lot of potatoes and beer. Mine was like yours and I was in love and well little by little I lost the battle of the bulge. We still laugh and have great times but she is no little lady any longer. Meet the beluga.

1147880705_wTJ9N-L.jpg

Shalom

Juan

Juan,

Couldn't agree more, I have that same bike and a few other, brings back memories, should have never sold that one, loved it..

Earlier GSers are a lot of fun, enjoy!!!

HiLift Jack

Adventurer
Rose

You inspired me to get back to the real deal in adventure motorcycles. I sold the big white whale and found this gem. It is originally from Tucson of all places.

Juan

815926499_fWg9h-XL.jpg

DesertRose

You inspired me to get back to the real deal in adventure motorcycles. I sold the big white whale and found this gem. It is originally from Tucson of all places.

Juan
[/IMG]

Hey that's wonderful! Very nice, congratulations!

My R80 is at the "spa" ~ while I'd love to strip it and re-do it myself, I just don't have the time (can you believe we're deep into planning Overland Expo 2012??!) so I've turned it over to my nephew and he's going to take it apart, do a little mechanical work and also paint the frame and replace some of the older bits . . .

Meanwhile I'm in the market for a vintage tank bag.

And I'm selling that nice little Honda NX250.

HiLift Jack

Adventurer
Nice

mtndog, real nice find there. There are a great amount of roads in Washington to explore on that bike east and west of the passes, and the passes, beaches, peninsula, islands,,,,, wow, i miss Issaquah.

juan

DesertRose

Not sure what vintage means to you, but this tank bag showed up today on CL up here in Seattle.

P.S., Roseann, you inspired me too. My new 81 R80G/S I picked up last month. :bike_rider:

Really nice one! Looks in great shape.

It's R80 fever time, be warned, they are addictive. Can't believe how much I love mine; I miss it right now :-(

That tank bag is exactly what I've been looking for, thanks! I've missed 3 on eBay, they go for 2x what the person is asking, I've sent an email.

DesertRose

Have you guys seen this BMW Unplugged promo, with Tiffany Coates and Thelma, her R80 G/S?

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Uniquely/Unscripted/tiffanycoates.aspx

Thelma is parked at our house right now, while Tiffany is in Nepal. Thelma has so many "war injuries" you can't even imagine. What a bike!

There are images of Thelma on our Facebook page's photo albums: http://www.facebook.com/overlandexpo (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150160066521911.291111.213084521910)

She's coming to Overland Expo 2012 as one of our VIP speakers / instructors!

HiLift Jack

Adventurer
Awesome

Rose, Thelma is living the dream, we need to drop the current agenda and move to a starting point in Africa and motor on. I just read that your husband quit his job and this is the perfect opportunity to lose the existing and exist in the here and far. God speed to the travelers and adventurers. I am leaving for Uganda next month, dropping the work routine and assuming the life of a missionary, living off the love of the locals and returning it to them as an act of worship.

Juan.

DesertRose

So right Juan ~ and good for you! Best of luck, perhaps if you take a break in Nairobi we might run into you in September or October. Yes, Jonathan is now working full time with Overland Expo and ConserVentures; we spend about half the year on the event and the rest of the year working on conservation and cultural preservation projects, mostly Mexico and East Africa. We'll re relaunching our ConserVentures website soon, a little updated.

You will love Uganda. East Africa, the people, are so wonderful. Keep posting the updates!

AAXD

Picture1.png

I just picked up this 85 G/S on ebay. I'm not really sure what I want to do with it yet, I sure like having a fairing on my GSPD but I think the open air feeling would be fun in the warmer months.
Airhead GS' are the best.
PICT7616.jpg

100_4506.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior