New bike: my first airhead, classic R80 G/S

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
So excited can hardly wait. Just got a wonderful all-original 1981 R80 G/S.

IMG_2992.JPG

It's still in Montana, though!

Can't wait to get it to AZ for some riding.

I intend to keep it really stock. The only modification might have to be to have the seat lowered a little.

It even has racks and original BMW luggage (though the luggage is worse for the wear; the original owner was a geologist in SLC and used the bike to tootle around the desert collecting rocks, which apparently he put in the luggage, as it's really messed up!)

These are such great bikes ~ the FJ40s of adventure bikes.

Now you can call me an airhead and it will be true.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Whereabouts in Montana? Perhaps I can give it a thorough "test ride" for you. :bike_rider: Wait a second, its cold and icy outside. Oh well, just wear extra layers!

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
:bike_rider:

That is incredibly cool Roseann! The big question is, will you have to lock it up to keep Jonathan's eyes from wandering away from the Enfield?

Congrats!

:victory:

DesertRose

Whereabouts in Montana? Perhaps I can give it a thorough "test ride" for you. :bike_rider: Wait a second, its cold and icy outside. Oh well, just wear extra layers!

I'd ride it back 'cept for that. Something like 10 degrees in northern MT?

Former owner is meeting me in Colorado Springs with it; he bought another R80 PD model that he's picking up.

Maybe will have as soon as 10 days:wings:

efuentes

Explorer
Impeccable taste, first a NX250 :) and now this, don't even start about a Africa Twin, then I will get jealous.

Saludos

DesertRose

Much cooler than a FJ40! And the seat is low, my wife loved our R100.

Jonathan would probably put the FJ40 first, but I agree! Glad to hear the seat may not be a problem. On paper it's only 1" taller than the NX250, so we'll see.

Can't wait to get it. Biggest problem will probably be jostling over who gets to ride it. Someone already suggested I could keep Jonathan off by putting a leopard-print seat cover. It worked keeping him off my Land Cruiser.

But even I, lover of all things leopard print, would not do that to a classic Beemer. I have my standards.

DesertRose

Impeccable taste, first a NX250 :) and now this, don't even start about a Africa Twin, then I will get jealous.

Saludos

Ha! When I ride down the coast we'll have to hook up for a cerveza! Hope things are well in Obregon (isn't that where you are at?)

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I was just doing a little bit of research on that bike and that is a really nice machine! I would have never guessed it had that much engine displacement in such a small package especially for being 30 years old.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
What a great machine. My old airhead successfully carried me and gear back from Mexico once with only 20psi compression in one cylinder...they're darn near bombproof!

Might want to look into the Omega charging system, which replaces the finicky diode board and stator. Runs about $500 retail, but worth every penny for the extra charging capacity that comes on just off idle. I had fits on slower rides keeping the battery charged with the OEM system.

-H-

DesertRose

I was just doing a little bit of research on that bike and that is a really nice machine! I would have never guessed it had that much engine displacement in such a small package especially for being 30 years old.

That's what swayed me; it's roughly equivalent to a 650 today but it just has amazing simple strong everything else.

I talked with a lot of R80 owners, including Tiffany Coates. She adores her "Thelma" and that's what really convinced me. I visited Thelma in Los Angeles last summer; Tiffany stored her at a friend's house while she went back to the UK. That bike carried two people from UK to northern India, then Tiffany took off around the world alone on it. Amazing bike.

Have you seen her BMW Unscripted commercial? it's fantastic:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAUhV1r-kUo&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAUhV1r-kUo&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

She got a new 650 G/S in Europe but Thelma is still here in NA waiting for another adventure.

DesertRose

What a great machine. My old airhead successfully carried me and gear back from Mexico once with only 20psi compression in one cylinder...they're darn near bombproof!

Might want to look into the Omega charging system, which replaces the finicky diode board and stator. Runs about $500 retail, but worth every penny for the extra charging capacity that comes on just off idle. I had fits on slower rides keeping the battery charged with the OEM system.

-H-

Thanks for the tip, can't wait to get the bike!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior