Our GXV Build

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
You could "unlock" it and have a taller overdrive...
Charlie

Charlie,

Thanks for the heads up on the gearing. Are you still "down under"? I hope things are well with you.

Do you know if 6th gear can be unlocked after we take delivery?

Thanks, in advance.

alaskaboy

Observer
regarding errant deer

Congratulations on pulling the trigger! We made a similar decision to commission a GXV last year after a very long evaluation of needs/cost/time and neccessary trade offs. It appears we will have sibling vehicles, although we have the crew cab. Ours will be ready this spring. I am heartened in the positive responses posted thus far as I have witnessed criticisms from some members whose own priorities differ. Not everyone can expand their perspective to accomodate the values of others.

Just wondering if you really need a brush guard for errant deer as the bumper is going to positioned higher than your average animal, especially if you upgrade to some 445 tires. Moose, being the largest and not neccessarily the brightest of the deer family, might indeed take out your grill. In fact, I have seen several fatalities here in AK from exactly that. In any event, from what I hear about stock lighting on commercial trucks, you will need a place to plant the HIDs.:coffeedrink:

mark

dzzz

Anyone who avoids the claim of buying an large expedition vehicle for the good of humanity seems safe around here. High profile environmentalists with multi-hundred gallon diesel tanks seem to get a mixed response. Go figure.

Anyway, Andy's truck looks like it will be great. I think the floor plan allowing easy movement between cab and camper (like SMB) is interesting.

Yes, 6th gear can be unlocked by anyone with the proper computer hookup to the drivetrain. But remember that most 425 and 445/65R22.5 tires have a speed rating of either 60 or 65mph. You may be within 10-15% of max load in the rear. Under those conditions I'd recommend inflating to the max pressure and not going much over 65 for sustained periods.
I personally am uncomfortable in a big truck, particularly with my 395/85R20 XZLs, at over 60mph.
We will be back travelling in Oz 2/20-4/15. Probably head for the Red Centre to avoid the rain/flooding.
One tire/wheel "issue" with the Intl's is spacers vs. wheel offset vs. track width F/R.

Charlie

cmgraves

Observer
I appluad your determination and focus for the overland travel, and what this "little" addition can create for the two of you! You will surely enjoy ever minute.

Had some questions, or just some thoughts.
You mention that you are looking at a vechile that can last 500,000 to 1,000,000. Is this a fair statement for the international truck, and going off highway driving?

Going from the sportsmobile and to the GVX is quite a leap in terms of size and limits and well almost everything. What were some the main factors for for such a great change?

and trying not to go off topic with your new one on the way:
With having logged so many miles and nights in the Sportsmobile, what do you consider its weakness and/or items that came to life during the experience.

Again, congrats with the new camper on its way!! it is a beauty!!

Blackeye

Yes, 6th gear can be unlocked by anyone with the proper computer hookup to the drivetrain. But remember that most 425 and 445/65R22.5 tires have a speed rating of either 60 or 65mph. You may be within 10-15% of max load in the rear. Under those conditions I'd recommend inflating to the max pressure and not going much over 65 for sustained periods.
I personally am uncomfortable in a big truck, particularly with my 395/85R20 XZLs, at over 60mph.
We will be back travelling in Oz 2/20-4/15. Probably head for the Red Centre to avoid the rain/flooding.
One tire/wheel "issue" with the Intl's is spacers vs. wheel offset vs. track width F/R.

Charlie

We'll look at the need to unlock 6th gear after we complete the build and have a chance to road test on the highway. Thanks for the idea.

Our tires, GOODYEAR G178 - 425/65R22.5 have a speed rating of 68mph. That is plenty fast for us. I don't expect we'll run more than 65 very often. I am reviewing the manufacturer's Load Adjustments for Speed worksheets and data. It looks like you've spent some time studying this kind of data.

FYI, the following represents our current GVW calculations:

14,333 Truck Chassis
5,500 GXV Cabin
1,200 Water
1,200 Fuel
2,000 Gear
24,233 Total Est. GVW (73% of GVWR)

Any comments?

Regarding the width of the rear axle, we spent quite a bit of time working with the engineering department at International to develop the spec'd rear axle. It is a single axle MERITOR MS-21-14X-6DCR Single Reduction, Wide Track, 21,000-lb capacity "wide-track" axle. They have assured me that it will have the identical track as the front axle.

I hope that you have a great adventure down under. Ron (GXVMogHvn) has just returned and it sounds like he had an incredible time.

Thank you, again, for sharing your wisdom with a novice like me. I am in your debt!

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Thanks for taking the time to share your build and some of your travel philosophy. It was a pleasure meeting you at Hollister last year. After seeing your amazing SMB, it was obvious that you and your wife know exactly what you want/need in a vehicle. Very inspiring!

This is gonna be a great thread!

Blackeye

Thank you for your kind words and support.

Had some questions, or just some thoughts.
You mention that you are looking at a vechile that can last 500,000 to 1,000,000. Is this a fair statement for the international truck, and going off highway driving?

I believe that it is. Check with me in a couple of years.

Going from the sportsmobile and to the GVX is quite a leap in terms of size and limits and well almost everything. What were some the main factors for for such a great change?

I hopefully addressed this earlier in the post. (longevity)

and trying not to go off topic with your new one on the way:
With having logged so many miles and nights in the Sportsmobile, what do you consider its weakness and/or items that came to life during the experience.

In all honesty, we did not find weaknesses or shortcomings with the SMB. It happily performed everything we asked of it and more.

cellularsteve2

Adventurer
Andy,
Looking forward to following your build.
I have a SMB and often think what the next step is as my family grows, and the SMB gets smaller.

steve

Blackeye

Andy,
steve

Steve,

Great to hear from you.

I am planning a trip to GXV in a couple of weeks. My plan is to cover, in detail, the various aspects of the cabin build. The panels should be assembled by then and I hope to obtain (and post) some "in process" photos.

I am excited about some of the other projects that GXV in doing right now. (Not as excited as I am about ours though.:wings:)

The GXV Pangea with the lifting roof would be a great fit for you. http://globalxvehicles.com/gxv-pangea/ I recently saw a used 2009 International SFA 4x4 chassis for sale in Texas. It is a crew cab too.

1175760705_ZtUBF-XL.jpg

Just trying to help you out.

Last edited:

Doin_It

Adventurer
At $99,000.oo with only 20,000 miles its a good deal. You'd should get a very good $$ for the deck/crane, to bring the price down some more.

EMrider

Explorer
Andy,
I have a SMB and often think what the next step is as my family grows, and the SMB gets smaller.

steve

Same situation here. Love the SMB and it is ideal for family road trips and camping with 2. But with a family of 5 and growing kids, the comfort when camping is diminished. The GXV platform(s) looks very appealing.
Thanks
R

Blackeye

Here are some sketches depicting the layout of our GXV cabin. These images are a pretty good representation of the layout. Some tweaks are in process as to the actual cabinetry layout and the location of heaters, etc. But this is pretty close.
1181618515_jCtL3-XL.jpg

I have been impressed with how GXV works through the myriad of details and have been enjoying the design-build process. We feel like we are dogs on a short chain though...we can't wait to get back "out there" exploring and adventuring.

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
A. Very excited to see this coming together for you. Looks like you made a first class choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior