Our GXV Build

Blackeye

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0008
Quick update on our build...

Still waiting on a confirmed build date for our truck chassis. It was supposed to be assembled around March 15, 2011, but since our truck as configured is considered "severe duty" it is assembled in the same facility as the military trucks. We've been delayed and the backlog of military orders is the only reason we have been given.

On the good side, GXV has assembled the panels, the corner profiles, some rough wiring and the windows just arrived from Germany. They have confirmed that the cabin build will proceed and will be mounted on the truck when it arrives.

More to follow...

GlobalMonkey

Adventurer
Thanks for the update Andy.

Did you do any comparison between International and Freightliner? If so, why did you pick the International?

Thanks, Tomas

Blackeye

I did not look into what offerings Freightliner had.

I was initially drawn to the Mercedes Benz U500 Unimog that GXV was offering. In the interest of fulfilling my duty to research other options (my wife was not interested in the Unimog because of it's looks) I visited an International Truck dealer. It was my understanding that International produced factory 4x4 heavy-duty chassis with a factory super-single rear. After driving and spending some time in the U500, I knew that I needed to look at other options.

The International 7500 Workstar was the choice. Both my wife and I like the “look” of the truck. I was very impressed with the way the salesman walked me through every option, all the while asking great questions and offering advice. I knew that International, albeit Navistar Defense, produces military grade equipment. I knew that International built almost every 4x4 Fire Department and Forest Service truck I had seen. I was also intrigued by the way that International has addressed the 2010 emissions requirements with no urea requirement.

The jury is still out as we have yet to have our truck. Stay tuned....

oonimog

Adventurer
Looks like it's going to be a great platform, best of luck. I don't know how far off the beaten path you go or how hard you plan to push it off road but have you considered recovery if you get stuck? Not many off roaders are going to be able to "unstick" you with such a heavy truck and if far off the road, it may tough to find heavy recovery service. Have you given any thought a winch and recovery gear?

I look forward to seeing the project progress, thanks for posting.

Blackeye

Have you given any thought a winch and recovery gear?

I have considered the addition of the new WARN Olympus 25. It is not quite yet available to the general public as the initial orders are going to the military.

Beyond that, and more importantly IMHO, is the use of common sense. I have completed the OVERLAND TRAINING Comprehensive Certification Course, a 7-Day field and classroom training course. I took the course shortly after we took delivery of our Sportsmobile. The field training portion, in the actual vehicle that you will be using, was very informative and helpful. The instructors put you into real world situations in a quasi-controlled enviroment.

We know that weight will be one of the most important factors to consider as the new rig will weigh more than twice the amount of our SMB.

I would deeply consider a hydraulic winch anything from a Superwinch 15K to a DP 20AJ to a Warn 30K in something that heavy.
25K lb is more than enough pulling power for an F550 but the power requirement will flatten the batteries quickly.
The new Ford auto trans has a PTO.
I have only a 15K in the rear of my U500 and a 20K in the front, but they are hydraulic.

Charlie

westyss

Explorer
Charlie, how often have you used your winches? Sounds like you advocate having one, is it worth the expense, weight, cost? I have mildly looked at getting one but am just a little hesitant to go for it.

Saline

Adventurer
On that same note: We had a Fire apparatus vendor bring by a new Urban Interface 4 wheel drive based on the International 7500 series. It had a "green" option of a small APU engine (auxillary power unit) that shuts the trucks engine down if it has been idling for over 10 minutes. The APU then supplies electrical power and I believe is enough to run a hydraulic pump. It saves approx 1.5 gallons of diesel per hr over idling the main engine.

Food for thought. BTW the company was Rosenbauer.

Last edited:

Bill Beers

Explorer
I don't know if it is of use to those building this type of adventure vehicle, but units specced for fire service generally have an additional heat exchanger. It is designed to use hydrant water to keep the engine cool while it is stationary. Maybe it could be used to provide on demand hot water? I'm not sure what these setups use for a water heating system.

I have been told that in the event of an engine failure issue, the electric winch will still operate but the hydaulic requires a functioning engine. Any thoughts?

How far will uncharged batteries pull an 18000 lb truck? And how likely is an engine failure with an elevated air intake (snorkel)?

Charlie

Jim K in PA

Adventurer
I have been told that in the event of an engine failure issue, the electric winch will still operate but the hydaulic requires a functioning engine. Any thoughts?

I am just a lurker here in this section for the most part, as I do not have a GXV or anything close to it, but on this subject I would offer my input.

I have read arguments back and forth on this point. In the end, I am installing a Mile Marker hydraulic winch on my 2005 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. It came down to two main points - efficiency and that common sense aspect.

Efficiency - an electric winch converts less than 40%, at best, of the electrical energy in the batteries to mechanical work. Hydraulic winches convert over 90% of the pressurized fluid energy into work. Think about this and you might find that this aspect alone is enough to seriously consider a hydraulic unit. What is not converted to mechanical energy, is converted to heat. Duty cycles on electric winches are quite low since they need to cool between pulls. An hydraulic winch can pull continuously with minimal heat generated.

Common sense - without question, you need a functioning hydraulic pump to use a hydraulic winch. Engine failure, for whatever reason, will prevent its use. However, if you do suffer engine failure (not just related to water crossing wherein you may not be able to safely run the engine), the use of your winch, IMO, becomes a much less important factor compared to the primary issue of not being able to drive the vehicle even if you got it out of where it may be stuck.

As Charlie pointed out succinctly above, even with a large battery bank, you will have minutes, not hours, of run time on an electric winch. Exhausted batteries will no longer be able to power lighting, or communications equipment. The substantial additional weight of the extra batteries to provide minimal run time, even with a high output alternator, is something I considered as a large negative, although with the size of your vehicle it may not be that important. Just remember, an electric winch may draw 300-400 amps (or more) during a loaded pull. That is far higher than just about any large high output alternator (or multiple alternators) can keep up with, so an electric winch is ALWAYS a battery operated winch.

The final decision rests with the owner/operator, as always, but this is a substantial investment either way, and should be looked at considering all aspects of the equipment available.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

oonimog

Adventurer
Just my opinion, but I completely agree with Charlie, your truck is far too heavy for an electric winch and if the engine's not running, you've got bigger concerns than only being stuck. Electric is okay for something smaller but hydraulic is far more powerful and reliable. Direct PTO is also very powerful and the most efficient but less flexible than hydraulic. The downside to hydraulic is that it's expensive and requires more "infrastructure" (not just the winch, needs a pump, tank, filter, valves, etc). I brought up recovery now because if you decide to pursue this path, it may be good to sort this out with the dealer before taking delivery and before dropping GXV's box on it. Even if the hydraulics aren't installed immediately, at least have a plan so tanks and plumbing don't fight for the same real estate as the camper and things that need service access get it.

No matter what you drive or how good your skills, if you go far enough, sooner or later you're going to get stuck. And while there are many ways to get unstuck, I look at a winch as the last line of defense that must ALWAYS come through for you. An 8274 does that on my FJ40, a PTO-driven Superwinch on my 110, but it's hydraulic for my Mog. Just some food for thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94