Buell's dual sport.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
Ricardo....

It's always good to see someone who is a tad more nuts than I am....:violent-smiley-031:

Great pics!

-H-

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
That looks like my idea of hell. I might have attempted most of that with my Africa Twin, but that V-Strom really did feel outta place on the dirt. For starters, if it ever fell over, it shattered like a pinata minus the candy.

Props to that fella.

...and I take offense to that statement, "is not the arrow, is the indian."

My mother was arrow. :)

Last edited:

805gregg

Adventurer
I've dropped my DL1000 many times, only thing that breaks is turn signal and tip of levers. I followed a 1150 GSA and 950 KTM all over baja off road for 2 days they couldn't leave me, the KTM rider said " I couldn't beleive it everytime I looked in my mirror you were right there". It's the rider not the bike.

ricardo

Observer
Hltoppr said:
Ricardo....

It's always good to see someone who is a tad more nuts than I am....:violent-smiley-031:

Great pics!

-H-

H welcome to the club of the space cadets and nut cases

ricardo

Observer
Flounder said:
That looks like my idea of hell. I might have attempted most of that with my Africa Twin, but that V-Strom really did feel outta place on the dirt. For starters, if it ever fell over, it shattered like a pinata minus the candy.

Props to that fella.

the are Right, the V-stroms (little one and big one) feature to many inherent handcaps

the Plastics I don't care, that is just Money and cosmetics, the big issue is the lack of ground clearance that can perforate the engine cases and leave you stranded and the stupid location of the oil cooler that get pack in mud in seconds , overheating the bike and creating excesive stress
16399-M-1.jpg

...and I take offense to that statement, "is not the arrow, is the indian."

My mother was arrow. :)

Sorry my friend, but as you can see "It can be Done"

Ps: Jean Luc the rider of the S-strom is not only very skillful but also absolutlly crazy

ricardo

Observer
805gregg said:
I've dropped my DL1000 many times, only thing that breaks is turn signal and tip of levers. I followed a 1150 GSA and 950 KTM all over baja off road for 2 days they couldn't leave me, the KTM rider said " I couldn't beleive it everytime I looked in my mirror you were right there". It's the rider not the bike.

well Greg or you are a Hell of a Rider or the Guy on the 950 has no idea how to ride a bike like the 950 in the dirt...

I have ridden at least 450,000 miles on GS's (three of them {bike rack bike is 340,000miles alone} many of them in the dirt) even race them in a few occasions for example the Elsinore 100 Mille race agains little tinny two strokes (The Kick the S^^T out of Ricky).
1298023-M.jpg

And i also own a KTm 950 for a few years and I rode it mostlly on dirt events.

4488841-L-1.jpg

so I can tell you the Ktm is a FAr Better bike in the Dirt (On the Street the Strom engine is fantastic, but I still keep my GS's if I can only have one bike) than any of this other megaEnduros, In fact the Ulysses will not even finish many of the rides that we do, the Belt will collect small rocks and fail or the engine will hit rock bottom and start to leak.

Here are some photos of that the KTM 950 can do on the Hyperskilfull hands of a master rider like Jimmy lewis (POdium dakar finisher amongs a few other tittles)

51489400-M.jpg

51489414-M.jpg

51489410-M.jpg

51489416-M.jpg

Last edited:

jerdog53

Explorer
This is what I have read all over the net: If you are more dirt orientated get the KTM big twin if you’re more street orientated get the BMW. The BMW is better on the street and more comfortable for long periods in the saddle, but the KTM is way more fun to ride period!

Wanderlusty

Explorer
I found this extensive review of the Ulysses.

http://www.pashnit.com/bikes/BuellUlysses.htm

I would have to count myself as intrigued, but I also will state that I am not at this point very interested in riding on dirt beyond gravel roads.

I would consider the V-Strom before the Buell, based largely on price. But for mostly paved roads, it reads as if the Buell would be a fun ride.

Anyway, good, in-depth write-up for those interested...

f_skinner

My impression (from riding one on a 6K mile trip) is the bike is great. I would say more street than dirt but absolutly fantastic on a fire road. It was always fun to leave the sport bikes in the dust on a twisty road on a fully loaded Uly... The only thing I changed was the stock seat and got a special made one from Baldwin Motorcycle Saddles in KS.

It made all the difference. Or you can take the opinion of someone that just sat on one.

Get the bike that fits your needs.

blatant

Adventurer
except they haven't made a new one in a few years, the buell is done. Some dealer still have new old stock, like around here....but the buell U is no more...

This is an old *** thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles