1978 Dodge 4x4 camper van

scarey

your van

So - what you are driving is a "frank industries" Xplorer 224 - I have owned 3 of them & still have a 79 that I've redone - I am interested enough in yours to actually sign up for the site & ask what you have in mind for it pricewise ?
I am a VANNER but not really a 4wd er - ( look at vannin.com ) & a friend of mine from CA sent me the link as he know how much I like these beasts - If you are in need of more info or want to discuss a sale please let me know.....
Thanks
Scott
scarey107@hotmail.com

Vobile

Observer
Thanks for the intrest in my van Scott. But at this time I think I am going to fix it up a little more and keep it. at least until I can find the perfect rig for my family and lifestyle......:)

panman26

I just seen your site on your van. It is a Dodge Xplorer made by Frank Industries who went on to create TRAVCO. It has a 360 mopar engine w/ a 727 Torflight tranny on a 1 ton B-300 frame w/ 127" wheel base. As far as being converted to 4x4 by pathfinder that would be extrememly rare as i never heard of that before, its most likely a homemade deal. Does it have leaf or coil springs up front? I have all original manuals for this as I own one up in Alaska & am converting it to 4x4. As far as its worth? Does ALL your systems work? Septic, H2o pump/heater, 12 volt & AC. I would like to see pics of the under carriage chassis to see how it was done to give me ideas. Thanks! My address is panman26@hotmail.com

That One Guy

Adventurer
I just seen your site on your van. It is a Dodge Xplorer made by Frank Industries who went on to create TRAVCO. It has a 360 mopar engine w/ a 727 Torflight tranny on a 1 ton B-300 frame w/ 127" wheel base. As far as being converted to 4x4 by pathfinder that would be extrememly rare as i never heard of that before, its most likely a homemade deal. Does it have leaf or coil springs up front? I have all original manuals for this as I own one up in Alaska & am converting it to 4x4. As far as its worth? Does ALL your systems work? Septic, H2o pump/heater, 12 volt & AC. I would like to see pics of the under carriage chassis to see how it was done to give me ideas. Thanks! My address is panman26@hotmail.com

To clarify, it's the A727, not the TF727. And These vans don't have frames, they are unibody. Not trying to be rude, just don't want incorrect information.

Vobile

Observer
Well. I am back. The van is still trucking along. We have been on many expeditions in last few years. Happy to say the van just keeps on keepin on. Lol. Not too happy with the gas mielage tho. So now I am considering a 4bt or 6bt swap. Anyone with experience with that sort of thing ?? Let me know. Thx.

Vobile

Observer
Pics of some of the stuff she has been hauling. I would guess that trailer with the jeep, quad, gear, tools, gas, food, drinks, ice, firewood, etc. Is up to 7000 pounds. At first I though no way this van is gonna make it up the Cajon pass, and I doubled up on tripple A insurance. Lol. But amazingly she tugged up the hill bout 40 mph. Not bad , same as some big rigs goin up.

350outrage

Adventurer
Well. I am back. The van is still trucking along. We have been on many expeditions in last few years. Happy to say the van just keeps on keepin on. Lol. Not too happy with the gas mielage tho. So now I am considering a 4bt or 6bt swap. Anyone with experience with that sort of thing ?? Let me know. Thx.

What is "4bt or 6bt swap"? BTW, glad you kept your old friend. I'm sure you know this, but ANY newer vehicle with similar capability to what you already have would be: 1) Custom, and 2) Unbelievably expensive. Don't sweat the mpg. You could burn a tanker full of gas for what a replacement vehicle would cost. And the newer veh prob wouldn't get much, if any better mpg.

Vobile

Observer
And it's funny cuz when in driving the van I feel like I'm in a behemoth . Then when we r at camp she is tiny compared to the diesel pushers and 5th wheels...

Vobile

Observer
Well said Dave.

4bt 6bt swaps are Cummins diesel engines 4 bt is the 4 cylinder.. 6bt - 6 cylinder. very popular efficient engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz